Dio - his solo work from Holy Diver onwards

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
For Dio fans, a question: after Holy Diver and Last in Line, are there any other Dio albums you would think mandatory?

Sacred Heart?
Dream Evil?

etc.

Can the list be prioritized?

Sacred Heart ... nothing interesting after it

I actually like them in reverse order

SH
TLIL
HD

Mandatory? Nah, probably not, but there is some real quality in there! I actually greatly appreciate "Master of the Moon", with songs like the opener, "One More for the Road" and the title track. The man still has a great sense of melody and he churns out some rockin' tunes.

"Dream Evil" and "Sacred Heart" are both really good, too. "Sunset Superman", "All the Fools Sailed Away", etc... yay!

"All the Fools Sailed Away" is one of my favortite songs.

While I haven't followed Dio's career closely since Lock up the Wolves, it would seem he hasn't released an "essential" disc since Holy Diver. Which isn't to say he hasn't written some great songs here and there.

It's a shame he's spent the better part of his solo career working with the Craig Goldies of the world.

Zod

So when you think about it, Dio really hasn't got many standout albums. Let's see:

Long Live Rock n Roll
Heaven and Hell
Holy Diver

I mean, those are his top albums ever right? I just figured a man of his lifespan would have more than 3 real gems in his belt.

Sacred Heart isn't mandatory, but I love it. I loved when it was first released, so that might have a lot to do with it. I can't recall for sure, but I think it was the first cassette I bought that wasn't the standard white.

So I've been reading reviews, mostly from long time fans, and it seems as if the quality declined at Sacred Heart all the way through to Magica. It was at Killing the Dragon where Dio began to return to form and continued through to Master of the Moon.

In the meantime, knowing Dio is exceptional live on stage, and having seen him on the Killing the Dragon tour, I wanted to glimpse into his early days where he had the big Egyptian sets, etc. So I bought this on eBay:

v04677rinor.jpg

I also realized that when it comes to stage sets and backdrops, metal shows today don't seem to hold a candle to the metal shows of the 80's. Even Maiden, with all their money, don't seem to put in the effort they did with their Live After Death thru Seventh Son tours.

I also realized that when it comes to stage sets and backdrops, metal shows today don't seem to hold a candle to the metal shows of the 80's. Even Maiden, with all their money, don't seem to put in the effort they did with their Live After Death thru Seventh Son tours.
Maybe they've been more extravagant, but they did have a kool war theme complete with smoke-shooting giant tank and sandbags and stuff like that last time, and Bruce said they'll bring a little piece of Egypt next time...

The first half of Last in Line is fantastic, but as a whole, I think Holy Diver is the better album. Last in Line is the last Dio album I found even remotely listening, although there a couple I haven't heard.

Vivian Campbell wrote some stunning riffs on those first two Dio albums. "Speed at Night" sounds fantastic. I love that whole post-Rainbow/Malmsteen style song structuring.

I bought this on eBay:

v04677rinor.jpg

I've done a Gugs and not yet watched this vid. This also probably explains why I hardly bother with live DVDs.

that vid is awesome ... where is Dio originally from anyway? isn't he from the UK?