Dio vs Ozzy solo careers

Sep 14, 2007
Sweden
Inspired by the Maiden vs Priest thread. Which one do you hold highest? I think Ozzy maybe has gotten more classics but Dio has been much more consistent in his solo career, plus "Holy Diver", "Last In Line" and "Dream Evil" are three albums that are better than any Ozzy album according to me.

I was gonna do a poll but i fucked it up, i fucked the poll up with the Bond thread too, guess i'm extra retarded. But on the other hand maybe people will discuss instead of just voting and getting out.

Dio is so much better. For one thing, the man can actually sing. Dio's work with Sabbath was better and solo career was a million times better.
Also, Rainbow is pretty beastly.
And he popularized the horns.
Dio is basically just the fucking man. Dio and Lemmy.

Dio is a much better singer than Ozzy. Much more soulful. Though Ozzy's more evil music-wise, Dio still has moving songs, no matter how homo it sounds to say it.

I also rarely felt that Ozzy ever meant what he sang, always felt like there was someone else that told him what to do, with Dio you can feel the passion in every song. Ozzy fitted good with the cool bluesy Black Sabbath sound, but i dont think he handled epic stuff as good in his solo career.

To put a minus on Dio i really don't like his singing on old Ozzy Sabbath songs, like Dio singing Sweet Leaf, just sounds awkward. In that laid back style department Ozzy is better.

Dio should probably never sing Black Sabbath songs inspired by drugs, because Ozzy is definitely better at making those sound authentic.

Holy Diver > anything Ozzy ever did solo
Mr. Crowley disagrees.

For the record, while I've not heard a lot of Dio's solo work (some songs from Holy Diver, but that's it), pretty much all of Blizzard and Diary outshines it.

Also, I don't much care for Dio's voice; he's fucked up many a Sabbath song for me, in his day. He should've just stuck to singing his own era.

Comparing these two's solo careers is to Black Sabbath is like comparing King Diamond to Mercyful Fate. I can listen to the Sabbath and Fate all day, but the solo stuff with all three just doesn't click with me.