DIO

rusty water

Jul 17, 2016
Dios best stuff was with Rainbow. It seems many, many people are not aware of this. Just saying.

Yeah Holy Diver is a great album. I saw Dio on the `Holy Diver` tour. Was a great concert. And so long ago now.

Dio was fantastic with Rainbow, but some of his best songs are with Black Sabbath and his own solo project. Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell are classics. Same with Holy diver, last in line. Not taking anything away from his Rainbow work, the guy was just a flat out genius.

Kill the king, Rainbow eyes... Just unreal writing ability.

Yeah, I like all those. I could add another good few from Rainbow too, including Man on the silver mountain, Catch the Rainbow ( particularly the live on stage version ) and Long live rock and roll.

Reactions: Pharaoh's Curse
I love Dio era Rainbow, but I also love Dio era Sabbath and well, Dio era Dio is the only Dio. Holy Diver is pretty badass. The title track of TLIL is also one of his best. Hard to choose the best era Dio. He was a Demi-God. Metal lost it's Sacred Heart when he died.

Reactions: The Outlaw Torn
Love the stuff Dio recorded with Rainbow, in particular Rising & Long Live Rock ‘n Roll, bit more filler on the first album I feel. Stargazer for me is probably the pinnacle from those albums, and possibly of both Dio and Blackmore’s careers. But I’m hard pushed to say that his albums with Rainbow are better than those he recorded with Black Sabbath, particularly the first two, Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules.

As much as I love the solo stuff, I don’t think it quite compares with those two bands, though maybe that is because he released so many more solo albums and the quality diminished a bit after the first three.

Reactions: Wyvern
I agree to half of what you say. Ronnie didn't exactly make 10 releases with those bands....... 2.5 with Sabbath as one was a live one of the three, and three with Rainbow. When Viv left, Dio wasn't the same. Not saying Viv was the driving force of Dio, but I think Ronnie and Viv bounced off of one another writing wise. Ronnie had nice stuff after Viv, but it was never the same.
Having said all of that, I think the most "magical songs" on a release Ronnie wrote were on H&H and Holy Diver. The most consistent releases (no sub-par songs) were Mob Rules and Holy Diver. Sorry, but I don't care for Wishing Well, for those that prefer H&H. I also think The Last In Line has the two best live songs. Ronnie put more into We Rock and The Last in Live live even later in his career than any songs I can think of.
Ronnie's best stuff was Dio.... in my opinion.

As much as I love the solo stuff, I don’t think it quite compares with those two bands, though maybe that is because he released so many more solo albums and the quality diminished a bit after the first three.

Exactly. Heaven and Hell runs it very close, but Rising just takes it for me!

For me is the other way around. "Heaven and Hell" is THE album, "Rising" can be second.

"Long Live Rock'N'Roll" goes for third, Rainbow's debut, "Mob Rules" and "Dehumanizer" can fight for the fourth place, H&H's "The Devil You Know" can follow.

Basically all albums with him (BS and Rainbow) are solid.

Reactions: Caveman Ninja
Anyone heard this one? This if I remember was recorded in 1974 on ` the butterfly ball and grasshoppers feast` album. It was a Roger Glover solo album or something,and this was then, pre-Rainbow. I am referring to the first song on this video ` sitting n a dream` and not the second song.

This video was recorded decades after the 1974 album. The original was before he was famous, really, and it shows Dio`s songwriting character was the same then.

Last edited: