Direct comparison of 20+ high gain amps

Do you still have the Steavens? Almost bought a 50w Poundcake from the 90's.

Last edited:
Yes they sound similar because there is not so much you can do with basic amplification and distortion to a guitar signal, at the end of the day they all share the same root characteristics. The differences matter to musicians more than to listeners, it's cool nonetheless to see a few amps stand out in my own taste.

I know I keep repeating myself when I tell you that the Straight is the best amp Engl ever built.
But it's true.
period.
This is unfortunatley only the 50W head...still blows the feckin poofterball out of the water

I've gone over everything several times and the MESA Dual Rectifier is my favourite. The palm mutes are tight, they cut off very quickly with little bleed into the following note, to my ears they sound half way between chug and scratch but still have a bouncy response. They are also pushed back a bit so the notes/chords on the 5th string sound louder or above the palm mutes giving it a 3D sound.

Thanks for sharing and going to all the trouble to demo these amps! Does anybody know what pickup was used in the DIs? Does Holy Diver mean BKP Holy Divers? Anyway, cool comparisons! :headbang:

They all sound great but that Recto is pure class. They truly are a fantastic creation.

I've always wanted to have a good thrash on an EVH 5150III and the recording of yours sounds nice.

Great! Amazing comparison! I liked Soldano SLO 100 for how in your face it sounds and Gus G randall for that really tight low end. Surprised how huge the Framus sounded too, I bet there´s a lot of low end candy left even after filtering the rumble. You can really hear how some amps sound really cheap and 2 dimensional compared to the bigger ones. Someone commented about how similar these sound, I think the difference doesn´t seem so big when listening in solo because even if a sound had a muffled low end, top end buried under hiss or whatever, you can still hear it in solo. Trying to get a "inefficient" tone cut through in a mix and appear huge is a nightmare and that might never happen with some of these amps. I bet you could get that SLO 100 so loud in a mix it wouldn´t even make sense.

Thanks for the effort! Subscribed and watched the cab comparison too :}
Great micing, can I ask what the recording signal chain is?

Reactions: Alex M