Disappointing albums revisited

ChaosLee

Formerly Necromunchkin
Nov 9, 2008
Arizona
Do you ever go back and listen to an album that you anticipated to be good, was largely disappointing, and then months or even years later, realize it's totally rad? If so, which albums have you experienced this with?

Life of Agony - Ugly

Got that for Xmas when it first came out, I was very excited because River Runs Red blew my fragile little mind at 14 years old. I heard the teaser track on some Roadrunner sampler (Lost at 22) during a rehearsal session of my very first band (aww!) and was pretty stoked. Then when it hit, it was truly pure shit. Not until about 15 years later did I realize how glorious that album always was, and now remains.

Good call. That was definitely an album that seemed lackluster upon release, especially given my adoration of RRR. But it is surprisingly strong, and feel silly not giving it more time (at the time).

The only thing that comes to mind right now is "The Locust Years". Upon first listen i was like "huh?! This SUCKS"

Fast forward a couple years and I'm on a road trip from Nashville to Cinci to see - iirc - Cynic, and I forced myself to listen to it.....and then I realized how amazing it is. It stayed in my CD player for quite awhile after that.

I really need to catch up on latter day Cynic.

The album that inspired this thread was Destroyer 666 "Defiance." I bought that puppy the day of release and spun it 2-3 times and for whatever reason thought it was just terrible. I randomly put it on at work today and was floored. It easily (to me) lives up to any prior releases.

Sometimes you just gotta put a "bad" album on while you're concentrating on something else like driving, working, home repair, etc and it may touch you(r butt) in a new way

QOTSA - "Like Clockwork..."

Was terribly disappointed with this one. Saw them live a few months later, 6th row seats. They played almost the entire album and it fucking ruuuuuuled. Now it's one of my favorites!

I really need to catch up on latter day Cynic.

The album that inspired this thread was Destroyer 666 "Defiance." I bought that puppy the day of release and spun it 2-3 times and for whatever reason thought it was just terrible. I randomly put it on at work today and was floored. It easily (to me) lives up to any prior releases.

This one for me too. Defiance is awesome.

Happens from time to time. However I'm smart enough to know that initial disappointment/puzzlement often foretells goodness.

Usually the disappointing factor is a change in style or atmosphere. One example would be Limbonic Art's In Abhorrence Dementia, which I've shunned for over a decade and pretty much adore these days.

Black Sun Aeon - Blacklight Deliverance

It took me ages to get into this album. It really only started growing on me when I listened to it about 4 times in a row, now I love it.

Graveland - Memory and Destiny

disappointing at first, never listened. took it off the shelf, now it's number 2 only after FtVoB

more recently, Old Mornings Dawn.