Discuss Reviews for "To Welcome the Fade"

I like how every time someon lists Neil's name and puts things he's worked on in the past, it's a different band.

"...with a stellar production from Teaboy Neil Kernon (Autograph, Hall & Oates)..."

"...mediocre knob-twiddling from limey ween NK (Britny Fox, Dokken)..."

"...lackluster, lackadaisical dilly dallying of NJ Gumby (Petra, Macabre)..."

I forget precisely what all albums he did for them, but I know for certain he did Private Eyes, H20, and Rock and Soul Pt. 1.....pretty sure he did some earlier ones of theirs as well but I cant say for sure.
My personal favorites that he's done would probably be Dokken "Under Lock and Key" (Neil and I once listened to this album together and he told me some funny stories about recording it, which made me like it even more), Queensryche "Rage For Order" (the only album of theirs I actually liked), and Cannibal Corpse "Gore Obsessed".

TOTALLY! I have my sister's vinyl of Private Eyes that she got when I was in the 2nd grade! I copped it from my mom's record stacks. Sure enough, on the back, it says NEIL KERNON. at one point, I had thought about asking him to sign it, but I figured not. I also have a 7" vinyl of Autograph's Turn Up the Radio which I still have to find (packed away somewhere).
but I totally went through my stuff and located all these records/discs i had with his name on them once we found out we'd be working with him.

I could literally sit and listen to his stories all day long. He's got some amazing ones. Esp. like Lar said, with those inside things of when he was recording them (like with Rage for Order when he had Michael Wilton and the other guys screaming something about Neil being a bastard for background noise on the album- what'd he have them yell?).

Just amazing. makes me think back to when i was in high school and i think for my "who would you like to meet and why" thing for fun in english class i put Chris DeGarmo and Michael Wilton (I believe i put them both, as in my mind at the time they were inseparable- although now i guess we know beter). that was the year after i wrote another english paper on comparing the song lyrics of Empire to some Tracy Chapman song- recited the paper in front of the class on a Friday in last period english, the same day me and my friends went to see QR play on that Empire tour where they played all of Mindcrime.

OK, i was a total QR geek then. Not so much now, but I still dig them. But i never even thought i'd get that close to meeting them at that point (working with one of their producers, i mean). It's still weird to think that it happened.

as for petra, i think he did record/mix on Unseen Power.

basic discography (not really up to date):
http://www.courtrightmgmt.com/producers/neil_kernon/discography.html

Neil's site:
http://www.auslander.net

Originally posted by chupe666
(like with Rage for Order when he had Michael Wilton and the other guys screaming something about Neil being a bastard for background noise on the album- what'd he have them yell?)

Holy crap, can I relate to that! Limey tool. It sounds like a fucking freight train ran through our recording session. Im GLAD you broke his shit, maybe NOW he'll be able to tune an instrument!

Fucking Brittish...... Jeez.

And talk about a mean bastard, he's worse then Simon Cowell.

"You wanker Paul! That was HORRIBLE. You should kill yourself now, and save the 10 people who will actually BUY this CD, much un-needed ear pain".

He's just a jerk.

And his taste in Computers is AWFUL.

And he smells... well... Brittish.

(if this doesn't get a response, I don't know what will)

Originally posted by Novembers Paul
And he smells... well... Brittish.

WHOA.

belt.jpg

That comment goes down here, underneath said accessory.

Originally posted by chupe666

I could literally sit and listen to his stories all day long. He's got some amazing ones. Esp. like Lar said, with those inside things of when he was recording them (like with Rage for Order when he had Michael Wilton and the other guys screaming something about Neil being a bastard for background noise on the album- what'd he have them yell?).

Just amazing. makes me think back to when i was in high school and i think for my "who would you like to meet and why" thing for fun in english class i put Chris DeGarmo and Michael Wilton (I believe i put them both, as in my mind at the time they were inseparable- although now i guess we know beter). that was the year after i wrote another english paper on comparing the song lyrics of Empire to some Tracy Chapman song- recited the paper in front of the class on a Friday in last period english, the same day me and my friends went to see QR play on that Empire tour where they played all of Mindcrime.

OK, i was a total QR geek then. Not so much now, but I still dig them. But i never even thought i'd get that close to meeting them at that point (working with one of their producers, i mean). It's still weird to think that it happened.

absolutely nuttin wrong with bein a geek of the ryche...til i was like 20 years old i wore,constantly, an operation:mindcrime leather jacket.....and i also seen that empire tour... i was at the milwaukee show where they filmed part of the op livecrime video.. and i remember it bein like the first show i was amaed at...suicidal and queensryche were both bettter than anything i could recall a that point,besides seein helloween on that headbangers ball tour....i gander hericane alice and extreme didnt have that effect on me live.....and when i did get to meet geoff tate on their last tour[which was a total letdown] and meeting mr tate was a letdown too...

oh.. and since this is yer webboard... i borrowed yer newest record to a couple people not into yer sorta music and they super dug it...so there.....

Paul-

I just wanted to respond to some of these remarks so that you don't get the wrong impression. I understand that you thought the review was decent overall, and each of your gripes with the review is completely valid, but I'd like to explain myself a bit further... because some of your issues with the review stem from reading things very, very literally in a sense.

<<(granted there are still many Opeth-isms herein)>>

Opeth-isms? Guess what... Opeth did not invent the wheel. We're still being compared to bands we've been doing this as long as, if not longer. It just so happens we have some of the same influence as Opeth, but we're using Opeth-isms? Do your homework.
I actually made a bit of a mistake there. While I would not retract the "Opeth-isms" statement, I would change the word "many". What I should have said was something to the effect of "there are still some noticeable Opeth-isms on occasion" or what have you. Perhaps it came off the wrong way, but regardless of the fact that historically both bands have been around for approximately the same length of time, I discovered Opeth prior to Novembers Doom, so by default I would be more likely to compare the latter to the former. Also, it is worth mentioning that Opeth is one of my favorite bands ever, so in no way was that remark to be taken negatively, there are really only a few musical aspects that remind me of Opeth, and I felt that it as worth mentioning. But keep in mind, that fragmnt came in a statement that was basically applauding the band for branching out and becoming more unique than ever, so... regardless of where the root of those influences came from for both bands, that's how it hit me.

<<Things tend to take a more mellow turn towards the latter half of the record>>

The Spirit Seed is on the latter half, and it's one of the heaviest songs we've done.
..."tend to", they "tend to take a more mellow turn". Had I said, "The entire latter half of the record is very mellow and lacks the heaviness of the former portion..." of course I would have been out of line. Perhaps you would disagree that there are noticeably more "mellow" aspects in the final half of the album, but to me it felt that way. Again, not a complaint at all, but I was also not trying to infer that there weren't any heavy songs during that time either.

Ok... You are a nut. Who EVER complains that the CD booklet is too big? I laughed out loud at this. Sorry if the font is READABLE. I didn't know people like small fonts they need to squint at to read. More artwork would be nice, I agree, but as a fan of music, I lay out the booklet as I would like to see. I design for a living, and I assume this person fancies himself a designer.
Guilty as charged. I'm a neurotic ass. I'm a stickler for packaging, what can I say? I get more complaints about that aspect of my reviews than anything else, but I feel that talking about the visual presentation is important because if artwork didn't matter, bands would all release their music in plain white sleeves. I myself design for a living as well, which makes my picky retardation even more obnoxious, I know. But please do remember that these are simply my worthless opinions. It's your band, it's your layout. Of course you should please yourself first and foremost! That's the catch of writing record reviews... because in some ways it's just pointless. The band has to please themselves, so why does it matter what anyone else thinks? But I try my best, you know? But yeah, I'm a nerd about that shit.

If it makes any difference, I've always had an incredibly hard time reviewing Novembers Doom's work. There aren't that many bands that make me feel like there is no way I can properly do the work justice in a review, almost to the point of not even wanting to attempt the review, but Novembers Doom is one of those bands. It causes me great stress to try and effectively review something that I know is a very personal and a very emotional thing, and conveys itself as such in a powerful manner... and I can't win 'em all.

That's just my two cents on your take on the review.

Originally posted by [AVERSIONLINE]
That's just my two cents on your take on the review.

Hey man, in all seriousness, I LOVED your review. It proves you really listened to the disc, and took the time to write a detailed review, good or bad, and in this case, it was very good. We just have fun picking on the reviews in this forum, because lets face it, no one ever does "Review the Review" and it's just fun for us. Trust me, we all know, without you guys writing the reviews, and giveing us the exposure, no one would know about us at all, so there's much respect for the metal reviewing public.

I wasnt really offended by a single thing you wrote, and if you see most of the reviews we "review", we're silly about it, or maybe it doesnt come off as so, and it's the good reviews, (or the horribly bad) that generate a response. I wouldnt have reviewed your review if you left out the part in reviewing the packaging. Honestly, that was brilliant, and I got a huge kick out of it. Iv'e designed literally hundreds of CD booklets, and this was a first for me, so I HAD to respond. hahahah

All of our non-sense is all in fun, it's we who are the nut's. Anyway, keep up the great work, thanks for the great review, and hopefully with the next release, we can do this again! haha!

Introduce yourself If we ever get the chance to meet, I'd love to give you a t-shirt!

Originally posted by Novembers Paul
...I wouldnt have reviewed your review if you left out the part in reviewing the packaging. Honestly, that was brilliant, and I got a huge kick out of it. Iv'e designed literally hundreds of CD booklets, and this was a first for me, so I HAD to respond. hahahah

All of our non-sense is all in fun, it's we who are the nut's. Anyway, keep up the great work, thanks for the great review, and hopefully with the next release, we can do this again! haha!
Ha, ha... that's cool. I'm not a frequent visitor here so I had only scanned through some of this thread and I just wanted to clear the air and all that. Anything done in good fun is alright by me, so I'm glad you got a kick out of my nitpicky crap, ha, ha... Next time around I'll be sure to measure the staples in the booklet to make sure that they are perfectly centered, otherwise there will be hell to pay! Ha, ha... just kidding.

Take it easy, and I'll always be looking forward to the next record...

-Andrew

Originally posted by [AVERSIONLINE]
Ha, ha... that's cool. I'm not a frequent visitor here so I had only scanned through some of this thread and I just wanted to clear the air and all that. Anything done in good fun is alright by me, so I'm glad you got a kick out of my nitpicky crap, ha, ha... Next time around I'll be sure to measure the staples in the booklet to make sure that they are perfectly centered, otherwise there will be hell to pay! Ha, ha... just kidding.

Take it easy, and I'll always be looking forward to the next record...

-Andrew

Now, if you reviewed the booklet like that, with making sure the staples were centered, id most likely piss myself. I say go for it! hahahah!

This review can be found at: http://www.quintessence.sh/

Novembers Doom
To Welcome the Fade
Dark Symphonies

Here we`ve got Novembers Doom`s fourth full-length and once again this American Doom/Death act has released a magnificent album. This band around vocalist Paul Kuhr have suffered from numerous line-up changes but always managed to record new albums that maintained the high standard this band realized starting with their debut. Over the years they`ve changed a bit. In their early years they were mainly influenced by My Dying Bride but after a while some Opeth influences came into their music as well. They can`t be labelled as a rip-off because they have their own particular sound which they firmly hold on to. Using Neil Kernon as producer for this album makes sure this album sounds very mighty, a real pleasure to listen to. Great artwork by Travis Smith makes this album complete. Truely one of the best doom/death-acts emerging from the States. So if you`re into My Dying Bride and Opeth I really advise you to get this album. You won`t be disappointed.

Pim

Direct link to review: http://www.metalgospel.com/Reviews/ndtowelcome.html

NOVEMBERS DOOM - To Welcome The Fade (Dark Symphonies~2002)
What a fantastic Death / Doom Metal band these guys are! They haven´t yet disappointed me throughout their entire career and they certainly don´t disappoint with "To Welcome The Fade". This is a great new album that features awesome growling Death vocals, keyboards used with care and kept as more of a background instrument the way it should be in most cases, subtle use of female vocals and an enveloping, dark and very emotion filled atmospheric aura. Reminds me a lot of MY DYING BRIDE or old ANATHEMA so fans of those two in particular would want to check out NOVEMBERS DOOM.
-Cheryl

This review can be found at Chronicles of Chaos - http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com

Novembers Doom - _To Welcome the Fade_

(Dark Symphonies, 2002)

by: Pedro Azevedo (9 out of 10)

By consolidating their sound and tightening their focus, Novembers Doom have created an album which is the culmination of their career so far. Having witnessed from afar the evolution and tribulations of this band over the years, I am thoroughly pleased with their achievement. _To Welcome the Fade_ comes presented in very suitable Travis Smith artwork (some of his best to date), and boasts the production talents of Grammy award winner Neil Kernon as well as top notch digital equipment. The album does sound very good, but it is the consistent quality Novembers Doom manage to deliver throughout that makes all the difference. A stronger effort all around than its promising predecessor _The Knowing_, _To Welcome the Fade_ shows an experienced band that is on top of their style and no longer seems to feel the need to 'expand' their sound. True enough, "The Spirit Seed" sports quite a bit of an Opeth influence that couldn't be found before, but all in all the album does have a very consistent character. The band's doom/death can break hearts and crush bones with similar ease on _To Welcome the Fade_. There are some remarkable gems to be found within the CD, most notably the superb "Within My Flesh" -- one of the best doom metal tracks of recent years -- which follows the more than suitable start provided by "Not the Strong" and "Broken". This is a thoroughly competent and inspired album from Novembers Doom, and a must for any doom metal fan.

(article submitted 3/21/2003)

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Agreed Paul, at least that review was fairly thorough and thought out. I hope perhaps that you'll read the Metal Maniacs article with Paul, and realise that the things he was singing about are basically real life for him, and not just some forlorned poetic scribblings akin to those of a depressed teenager. It's understandable to take it that way perhaps, considering that a majority of lyrics in this genre tend to be overdramatic and silly. Surprise surprise, our lyrics are actually real, and the dramaticism draws largely from the fact that, well, Paul had some serious shit to talk about. If people don't understand that or respect that, well thats their deal. I personally think it takes balls to open up like that, when you KNOW people are going to be quick to tear it apart and criticise.

And while it is ballady and stripped down, I stand by "If Forever". We took a chance to do something different and we did. I knew when I wrote it that it would not be something that would be appreciated by everyone, especially in the metal scene. Just because a song has a completely different feel or goes a bit "soft" doesn't make it filler. It certainly wasn't perceived as filler by us when we recorded it. I'm sorry that you feel that way. But then again, I love the song, so fuck it. If I wanted to be always brutally heavy and predictable I would join a Deicide wanna be band.

But thanks for the honest review nonetheless!! If people didnt disagree about these things, then life (and art) would get pretty stale. :lol:

thanks for the feedback guys, its apprecaited, Your cd actually made my top 15 for the year.

Hey PAul, I love the artwork for How Like Winter.