Discuss Reviews for "To Welcome the Fade"

Ever listen to a CD and just know that the band truly feels what they write musically and lyrically? Just one listen to Novembers Doom's new CD, "To Welcome the Fade" (Dark Symphonies) will remind you just how rare of a find these are. "Not the Strong" will fill you with the true pains of doom metal, personal lyrics, and crisp production...and the rest of the CD will follow in its footsteps. You'll be hearing alot of this CD on my show, so i'm recommending it highly to any metal fan!

Originally posted by Novembers Paul

Good work guys/gals, applauds go to you, I just have a wish: please don't turn into Yet Another Anathema Clone.

We never have and never will sound like an Anathema clone. I'd go disco before I'd do that. Besides, wouldnt that basically be like being a CelticFrost/PinkFloyd clone anyhow?

Not trying to dis Anathema, because I like some of their stuff, but seriously, they didnt fucking invent their own sound either, exactly. Sheesh.

And thats just my honest opinion.

Glad to see that people actually mention Voivod influences (in live4metal.com review), at least that's accurate.

Originally posted by erik@digitalmetal
whew mine got off lightly

sup lads?

Hello Erik, Your review was honest, and by reading it, you can tell you at least listened to the CD. Good or bad, its an hnst review, and we respect that. It's the clowns who listen to mabe 30 seconds of each song, and write a review on the whole cd, and it becomes quite obvious to us when we read it. Again, good or bad, that sucks. For the amount of time spent writing and recording the cd, the least a reviewer can do, is take the time to listen, and review it correctly. You sir, did just that. Thanks!

Agreed Paul, at least that review was fairly thorough and thought out. I hope perhaps that you'll read the Metal Maniacs article with Paul, and realise that the things he was singing about are basically real life for him, and not just some forlorned poetic scribblings akin to those of a depressed teenager. It's understandable to take it that way perhaps, considering that a majority of lyrics in this genre tend to be overdramatic and silly. Surprise surprise, our lyrics are actually real, and the dramaticism draws largely from the fact that, well, Paul had some serious shit to talk about. If people don't understand that or respect that, well thats their deal. I personally think it takes balls to open up like that, when you KNOW people are going to be quick to tear it apart and criticise.

And while it is ballady and stripped down, I stand by "If Forever". We took a chance to do something different and we did. I knew when I wrote it that it would not be something that would be appreciated by everyone, especially in the metal scene. Just because a song has a completely different feel or goes a bit "soft" doesn't make it filler. It certainly wasn't perceived as filler by us when we recorded it. I'm sorry that you feel that way. But then again, I love the song, so fuck it. If I wanted to be always brutally heavy and predictable I would join a Deicide wanna be band.

But thanks for the honest review nonetheless!! If people didnt disagree about these things, then life (and art) would get pretty stale. :lol:

This review can be found at http://www.aversionline.com

Novembers Doom "To Welcome the Fade" CD
8/10 - [Dark Symphonies]
I had been waiting for this record ever since I first heard "The
Knowing", which totally blew me away. "To Welcome the Fade" continues in a
similar vein, though the band is definitely heading more in their own
direction this time out, shedding some of the obvious musical influences
(granted there are still many Opeth-isms herein) and adding more substance
to the "doom" tag. Things open incredibly powerfully with "Not the Strong",
a doom epic that paves the way for "Broken" - which brings in a lot of
dynamic shifts, including some clean riffing that has that token Novembers
Doom vibe, as well as some subtle female vocal textures. "Within My Flesh"
is a bit slower, starting out with nice acoustic guitars that lead into an
array of midpaced chord progressions that bring in a lot of creative melodic
devices, and "If Forever" is even what could be considered a "ballad" in
some ways - utilizing soft acoustic guitars and carefully executed
background synths with singing/spoken vocals and minimal percussion. Things
tend to take a more mellow turn towards the latter half of the record, with
a great deal more of the softer guitars and some excellent female lead vocal
appearances in both "The Spirit Seed" and "Torn". The production (handled by
producer extraordinaire Neil Kernon) is of course quite amazing. I don't
have any gripes. The bass is just a tad more audible than it was on the last
record (I'd still turn it up a bit to give more substance to the center of
the mix), the drums sound warm and full, the guitars are insanely crisp,
etc. Excellent work, and it's an HDCD to boot. The layout is not so unlike
that of their last album, using a lot of abstract imagery (with recognizable
elements) and consistent textures/colors throughout. There are plenty of
band photos and the text is crisp, my only minor complaint is that they
could have saved space by making everything a bit more compact. The font
used for the song titles is awesome, but the font used for the lyrics
doesn't work as well, and the text is slightly bulky - taking up a lot more
space than it needs too. The band photos (one member on every other page)
are also a bit large, I would have preferred to see more artwork, as
visually it's quite strong. Lyrically things run the emotional gamut from
shame to rage, and a glimmer of hope. However there are portions that
express pure contempt, ".I damn your life, And I pray you suffer long, And
all the angels turn their backs from the sight of your pitiful face, No god
will save your soul, For there is no love for you, You left all that behind
the day you learned to fucking speak." In the end it's very, very hard for
me to decide whether or not I like this record or "The Knowing" better.
Where "The Knowing" struck a nerve instantly, "To Welcome the Fade" takes
time to sink in - the more you listen to it, the more you appreciate it, and
the more its diversity shines through. I miss that immediate impact, though.
so, at least for now, I'd have to rank this a very close second to "The
Knowing". This is another stupendous release, however. Make no mistake.
Running time - 54:51, Tracks: 10
[Notable tracks: Not the Strong, Broken, Torn]

Overall this is a nice review...But I have a few bones to pick.

<<(granted there are still many Opeth-isms herein)>>

Opeth-isms? Guess what... Opeth did not invent the wheel. We're still being compared to bands we've been doing this as long as, if not longer. It just so happens we have some of the same influence as Opeth, but we're using Opeth-isms? Do your homework.

<<Things tend to take a more mellow turn towards the latter half of the record>>

The Spirit Seed is on the latter half, and it's one of the heaviest songs we've done.

<<(I'd still turn it up a bit to give more substance to the center of the mix)>>

I'll pass along the info to Mr. Kernon.

<<There are plenty of
band photos and the text is crisp, my only minor complaint is that they
could have saved space by making everything a bit more compact. The font
used for the song titles is awesome, but the font used for the lyrics
doesn't work as well, and the text is slightly bulky - taking up a lot more
space than it needs too. The band photos (one member on every other page)
are also a bit large, I would have preferred to see more artwork, as
visually it's quite strong.>>

Ok... You are a nut. Who EVER complains that the CD booklet is too big? I laughed out loud at this. Sorry if the font is READABLE. I didn't know people like small fonts they need to squint at to read. More artwork would be nice, I agree, but as a fan of music, I lay out the booklet as I would like to see. I design for a living, and I assume this person fancies himself a designer.

What a nut.

Anyway, This review was actually good. My beefs are small. Again, i respect all opinions, but this is my time to "Review the review"
:lol:

Actually, I really like the Aversionline zine. They review a ton of different stuff, and write good, in-depth reviews. And one thing they always do is to actually review the whole package, including the cd layout and production. They did a 'featured band of the month' thing on us after the Knowing, which I thought was really cool.

I've heard about several releases through them that I might not have caught otherwise- I read about that last Further Seems Forever disc on there, and bought it on his recommendation alone and loved it.

EMO!

Originally posted by chupe666
Actually, I really like the Aversionline zine. They review a ton of different stuff, and write good, in-depth reviews. And one thing they always do is to actually review the whole package, including the cd layout and production. They did a 'featured band of the month' thing on us after the Knowing, which I thought was really cool.

I've heard about several releases through them that I might not have caught otherwise- I read about that last Further Seems Forever disc on there, and bought it on his recommendation alone and loved it.

EMO!

Blah Blah Blah, he's still a nut. :lol:

I like Aversionline, it's all good. The guy who reviewed us is obviously a fan of ours and thats great. I will take an opinion of someone who actually listens to us and attempts to understand us MUCH more seriously than that of some assclown who hurries up and gives us the standard "this is okay if you like MDB" review so he can hurry up and get to his Mortician review or Dark Throne box set or something.
I think Paul's just poking a little fun at the fact that, when you are in a position like ours, putting out a piece of work for the world to see and hear, its hilarious how EVERY little detail can get critiqued and picked apart, even the artwork or size of the booklet. It is pretty damn funny.
Besides, if someone wants to put out a review for everyone to read, then I suppose it's other people's rights to be able to critique their work as well. Critique the critics! That's what we're doing here. It's all good fun.

This review can be found at http://www.vampire-magazine.com

Reviewed by Serge on December 17, 2002.

It took me quite a while to get To Welcome The Fade in my possession, since the album has been released for a number of months already. But, it was worth the wait. Novembers Doom is a relative new band for me, I got acquainted with the Chicago-based band previous year with the album The Knowing, their previous release of 2000. The slightly romantic doom/deathmetal gripped me from the start, and it didn't take me long to get familiar with the other albums of this terrific band. Novembers Doom has followed about the same path as did most doom/deathmetal bands. Like the big trio My Dying Bride, Anathema and Paradise Lost, Novembers Doom started out as a dark and heavy band and they progressed to be a little less extreme, more melody etc.
To get back to their latest album To Welcome The Fade, it is a logical progression (I'd almost say extension) from The Knowing. The Knowing is a little more raw, while To Welcome The Fade emphasizes more on the emotions in the music. And a fine result it is. I'm enjoying this album immensely, and I dare say it's my favorite Novembers Doom album to date!
As can be expected by the band, the sound and production is in perfect balance, as are the song compositions. To Welcome The Fade turns out to be quite the varied album, with both slower and faster songs and all kinds of emotions and speeds in between. I'm especially fond of the vocals by Paul Kuhr, who have become more powerful since The Knowing, and have been better mixed with the rest of the music. The only minority are the lyrics, that can be weird at times (to put it mildly). On the other hand, lyrics on tracks such as Not The Strong (a terrific opener!) and Dark Fields For Brilliance (a terrific ending song of the album) are good; personal and emotional.
With music, sound etc all covered now, rests me to say the artwork's brilliant (a good portrayal of the atmosphere the music breathes) and this release is especially interesting for fans of My Dying Bride and older Anathema. I want more!

Novembers Doom has followed about the same path as did most doom/deathmetal bands. Like the big trio My Dying Bride, Anathema and Paradise Lost, Novembers Doom started out as a dark and heavy band and they progressed to be a little less extreme, more melody etc.

We didn't follow that same path at all. All three of these bands changed direction, lost the heavy vocal, and only one of the three has returned to their roots.

I'm especially fond of the vocals by Paul Kuhr, who have become more powerful since The Knowing, and have been better mixed with the rest of the music. The only minority are the lyrics, that can be weird at times (to put it mildly).

I think the only way the lyrics are wierd, is if you don't know what they are about.

Overall, a great review!

This review can be found at: http://www.zenial.nl/review/towelcom.htm

Well, 'the Knowing' was a very good album and my expectatives were very high. This release is a total triumph !
Definitely, Novembers Doom have their own style, far from the early MDB sound, and this time the music are more experimental, with major presence of acoustic guitars and female vocals.
The first part of the album is similar to 'the Knowing', but with 'if forever', the fifth song, the sound takes other direction followed by the totally brilliant 'the Spirit seed' and the beautiful 'Torn'.
By the way, the album is produced by a grammy winner, so if you like emotional and depressive music don't miss this.

Review by: danchloe

This review can be found at: http://hot.ee/voit/Week38.htm

NOVEMBERS DOOM - TO WELCOME THE FADE (DARK SYMPHONIES) (170.00)
With already 3 full lengths under their belt NOVEMBERS DOOM is already a well known band in the death/doom metal scene! Starting out as a slow death metal act, they kept on introducing more and more interesting genre-exceeding musical elements with each release, much to the appreciation to the many fans of the band! With 'Welcome to the fade' they made their strongest album to date, massive melancholic metal tracks with nostalgic riffing and astonishing powerful accompaniment, topped with emotional grunting vocals! Recommended!

Translated from French (and poorly I may add): http://vsolutions.free.fr/

The doom of November, it is like the new beaujolais wine, that returns every year at the same date. This year, it is a little advances some, it arrived to us as of October and one will not complain any. Déja the fourth album for the group, time passed since "Amid its hallowed mirth" left in 1995 at Avantgarde music but it is especially with "The knowing" a third album unanimenent greeted that NOVEMBER' S DOOM had acquired a certain fame. It is thus with a certain apprehension that this album was awaited. For those which would have passed to with dimensions from NOVEMBER' S DOOM here a crash course of correction: good step of trap, it is well doom about which it all is, of the precise doom-death and to be succeeded, because one can really place this American group (and yes...) at the cotès of MY DYING ATTACHES or the ANATHEMA period doom-death. Here not of violins or piano (except on instrumental "the Dreams to follow" which is precisely only piano). Just some rare keys of synthès or female song but the principal place is occupied here by the guitar. This new opus guard the same receipt a brilliant alternation of passages atmospheric, heavy, with the environments of darkest and depressive, with clear song or more generally death but always filled up of sincere and great emotion, and faster passages, with the riffs among most leaded which are. The very good melodies really haunt you the head a long time after the end of the listening of the album. It is difficult to leave a title the batch, so much the wafer as a whole is good, not titles of fillings here but let us quote all the same "Not the strong" which opens the album, "The lifeless silhouette" and its passage spoken which pointed out BEYOND to me DAWN of "Pity coils" or very simple "Dark fields for brilliance" in its structure but of a frightening effectiveness with its imparables gone up in power which majestueusement close an album which one cannot prevent oneself from recovering... You will see never again November of the same eye after having listened this momument of the doom-death.
[ Posted by : Sheb | Note: 17/20 |Nb of readings: 2858 ]

Me oh MY...that was probably the hardest review I had to read...it is reminiscent of me trying to decifer the e-mails I get at work ( I work for a Japanese company).

Someone please tell me what a "good step of trap" is:lol:

The overall evaluation is good, so kudos to you guys again!

This review was translated from Italian. Original review at:
http://www.hmportal.it/

I'm sorry if I can tell you only right now about this new Novembers Doom's release, but several things made this cd stay far from me...
Anyway... many years have passed since the debut of these american doomsters, that 'Amid Its Hallowed Mirth' (1995, now reissued by their label Dark Symphonies).
From then, the band continued to walk the path they started, with good and bad moments of course, but I think the most important one is now, with the release of the beautiful 'To Welcome The Fade'. Magisterially produced by that genius that's Neil Kernon (Nevermore and Cannibal Corpse), I think that this album can show it's unquestionable resources.
It's sound is simply marvellous: from drums to the guitars, the production makes the sound so clear and power that it's difficult to stop listening at it.
From a musical point of view, we've got something new from Novembers Doom: as now I think that them who have always considered'em My Dying Bride's american alter-egos will be disappointed (even if the similarities between Kuhr's vocals and Stainthorp's are sometimes strong), finding a band that instead of living in the shadows of the other, has lit their own star in the metal music sky.
Their death-influenced doom metal approach is now fully developed in something that embraces also gothic and atmosferic kinds of music, making of each song a lil story with own life.
The album starts with fast and aggressive songs such as "Not The Strong", "Broken" or "Lost In A Day", three speed songs with a "heart" made of catchy rhythms that conquer at first time.
Compared to the brutality of the vocal style of Paul Khur, they create catchy atmosferes thanks to the keyboards (played by Eric Burnley) that give the sound a gothic approach, and classic guitar arpeggios, while there are songs, such as "With The Flesh", that remind me of the early productions of the band, slower and more doom-related.
After this first half, in the second part of the album we find a break with the acoustic and yet melodic "If Forever", where we can listen to the beautiful voice of the female singer Nora O' Connor.
'To Welcome The Fade' gets back its dark mood with the next tracks that show how lethal could be the union between the aggressiveness and violence of death/doom and the melancholy and beauty of gothic.
A great comeback for Novembers Doom, a band that has lived for too many years in the shadows of bigger names, and that maybe this time they can get what they deserve.

Highly recommended

TECNIQUE: 4/5
SONGWRITING: 4,5/5
PRODUCTION: 5/5
INNOVATION: 4/5

RATING: 86/100

Review by Evil Frons (evil_frons@hmportal.it)