Reviews for "To Welcome the Fade" [locked thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This review can be found at: http://www.bludgawd.com/index2.html

NOVEMBERS DOOM
"To Welcome The Fade"
Dark Symphonies
I had heard these guys in the past and didn't mind them at all. This new disc reminds me alot of Paradise Lost and other bands of that genre. The songs are written really well musically and the harmonies are absolutely incredible. With layers of dark shadowing and orchestrated keyboards, Novembers Doom can depress even the happiest person. This is a fresh break from the metal I normally listen to and I am very impressed at the musical abilities of all the band members. The female vocals on this are amazing and sound really chilling, not like that operatic style which I despise so much, but well sung back up vocals. If you are looking for something refreshing, something a little more moody and less angry than your average metal band than I would recommend checking this out. While it isn't my forte in the least I can sit hear and enjoy listening to it all the same.

This review can be found at: http://www.starvox.net/cdr/nd.htm

“To Welcome The Fade” is the fourth full-length studio release from November’s Doom, the unsung veterans of America’s relatively small Gothic/Doom metal scene. It has been a long, wearisome journey for founding member and lyricist Paul Kuhr, who has seemingly met with every possible obstacle – both within the band and the constant rotating line-up but his own personal experiences have threatened to slow him down. Thankfully for those of us who lie hypnotized by the sounds of emotion laden and atmospheric metal, the band has pressed on, receiving favourable critical attention and sincere praise with each successive release. After the crushingly bleak and blissfully dark lamentations of their debut “Amid It’s Hallowed Mirth” (my personal favourite release from the band), November’s Doom has developed its own unique sound. Their densely layered and harmonic guitar sound instantly sets them apart from contemporaries. With this latest release, the band’s sound seems to have reached a pristine perfection - rich in melody, intensely personal and magnificently expressive.

Though the band is pure Doom in atmosphere and spirit, there are many bands currently active with a greater fidelity to harsher, colder funereal oppressiveness. While certainly nowhere near the realms of reaching commercial success, the band’s latest collection of material is their most accessible yet, having the same progressive yet melodic qualities as Opeth, Katatonia, Dark Tranquility, and later My Dying Bride. The band’s appeal will surely not be limited to fans of Doom alone, but the material comprising “To Welcome The Fade” stands alongside some of the greatest and authentic Gothic metal albums of the past decade.

“Not The Strong” forebears any lengthy, long winded album intros, and instead plunges right into the thick of things with a burst of snapping drums and sweeping guitar galloping, accompanied by intelligible death growls. The song’s lyrics are sensitive, yet stripped of any flowery pretense. They are straightforward testaments of vulnerability:

If only my mother knew the real me
Her heart would break, for I am shame
Not the strong man she raised from birth
A coward, a child, a scared soul.

The song marches along through a melodic dual guitar serenade before sinking into a groove-oriented Sabbath-esque jam. Finally, it tumbles back into the moody melancholic harmonies that characterize the chorus and leave the listener mesmerized. “Broken” is also comprised of many rhythmic shifts, from the epic, shuffling crunch that starts the song to a slow watery guitar interlude that introduces the first clean male vocals on the disc, as well as the first appearance of female vocals. The female vocals at first did not sit very well with me. They weren’t the usual willowy, weak angelic whines that many metal bands employ, nor were they an attempt at grandiose operatic soprano work. Though barren of the usual clichés, I at first found the vocals to be rather average, mid ranged alto vocals with nothing all that remarkable in character. The overall techniques and style would be more at home on any given pop rock, or dare I say, contemporary country record. Not what you would expect in a dark metal band, and at first they definitely seem painfully out of place. It is not until you get to “The Spirit Seed” and especially the album’s outstanding highlight “Torn” that they begin to make sense. But I jump ahead of my critique.

“Lost In A Day” continues along with cool shades of watery guitars and dense, fiery walls of heavy guitars. “Within My Flesh” is the album’s ‘doomiest’ track, with a lush acoustic intro that bursts into a sluggish, heart wrenching crescendo of gargantuan guitars and pounding drums. Venomous vocals deliver more pensive lyrics:

My bride to comfort me when all seems lost
A kiss upon my brow to soften my suffering
She means so well I haven’t the heart to tell her
My smile was forced

My mother cries for me when no one will
Her words of compassion swell my eyes
‘It’s not fair this has happened to you
And I’d do anything to take away your pain.

“If Forever” is a lovelorn acoustic ballad, with a powerful clean vocal performance and warm enveloping choir synths to thicken the sound. There is nothing remotely metal about the track, though a weighty and moving effort despite the absence of the band’s usual morose metallic arsenal. “The Spirit Seed” flows through various movements, funneling down from a thick heavy collage of guitars and striking vocal harmonies into a churning sea of acoustic and chorused electric guitar passages, and a more effective use of Nora O’Conner’s vocals.

But it is indeed “Torn” which stopped me dead in my tracks and riveted my attention from the first note to the final dissonant echo of power chords. A deceptive indie rock jangle opens the track before an encompassing swell of electric guitar arpeggios and deep drums break the silence for a sequence of multi-layered darkness. The song sports three vocal styles, each representing a different ‘character’ – the female vocals sing of ‘life’ where predictably the guttural vocals represent ‘death.’ But in between is one of the sweetest and moving clean male vocal harmonies to represent ‘torn.’ As I had mentioned, the female vocals here finally shine, and the simplicity and ‘common’ realism that I at first disliked about them is exactly what makes them so poignant – the female figure is within reach, and attempts to calm the raging emotions of the song’s protagonist. She represents strength, healing, and caring, and the beauty of this is in the optimistic hint that such a blessing is attainable. But the vocalist’s darker and ugly side is skeptical, afraid, and resisting in order to prevent himself from being hurt again. And then there is the part of him that is ‘torn’ and yearns to be safe and finally begin the process of healing. But his fear ultimately prevents him from being saved. “It would take an eternity in Hell for my heart to rest in peace.”

Sure, you can read in to nearly any song, but few bands actually inspire their listeners to do so. November’s Doom actually provide their listeners with enough noteworthy lines to read between. For that, this band should surely be recognized – not to mention the fact that they provide such remarkably appropriate music to accompany the lyrics as they unfold.

“Dreams To Follow” is a brief solo piano interlude, paving the way for the murky guitar arpeggios that ring out mournfully at the onset of the album’s final track “Dark Fields Of Brilliance.” The final track is tragically animated by a bittersweet mood, hinting simultaneously of hope and defeat. The female vocals float alongside the clean vocals, until the guttural vocals sever their partially formed bond. The gloom builds for one final chilling and sonic climax of interweaving guitars and frigid synths, and then silence. The listener is left in a state of deep musing, emotionally devastated yet musically and artistically enlightened. You want more, and yearn for more, but are left hanging by the proverbial thread.

For all the nights I lie awake
And stare into the void
Just once I wish to grasp
Some glimmer of hope

Continuing to build on the majesty and grace that enriched their previous and masterfully hailed release “The Knowing,” “To Welcome The Fade” is a giant leap forward conceptually, musically, artistically, and lyrically for November’s Doom. Though the album might be ‘light’ for extreme Doom purists, it is nevertheless an unquestionable triumph for the progress of the band. This is a startlingly mature and well-written album that will enrich the collections of moody dark music fans the world over. Highly recommended to not only fans of Doom and Gothic Metal, but to all bleeding heart Romantics, regardless of their usual musical interests.

This Review found at: http://www.musicextreme.com

It is amazing how each time that November´s Doom makes a new album they achieve great results....their previous "The Knowing" was really brilliant, and this one is even better. Here we have ten tracks of pure November´s Doom style metal with all what that means: Good riffs, excellent melodies, strong vocals and a great klnowledge of song structure. Plus this time we have Neil Kernon producing this album and adding some great mixing. Each of the songs here has that depressive quality that November´s Doom´s music has and that have made them an unique band. And that is due to the combination of one heavy guitar with some melodies and because of the use of some keyboards and some clean guitars. Plus, to add to the anguished and dark feeling of the recording we have the female ethereal vocals by Nora O´Conner in some palces adding a lot of beauty and darkness with her voice. A must

Novembers Doom - To Welcome The Fade (Dark Symphonies) Review By Steve
For whatever reason(s) I found this a daunting prospect to review. At first I didn't have the time to give it my fullest attention and there is so much going on, it demands to be listened to. Secondly Novembers Doom flit between styles effortlessly and that kinda threw me as well. But after I absorbed everything, I wandered what all the fuss was about, because this so accessible and a joy to listen to. Novembers Doom are essentially influenced by the (then) "Big Three of UK Doom". My Dying Bride, Anathema and (old) Paradise Lost. The latter being the more obvious. Add to that, their own unique qualities and a touch of folk, and you onto something very special indeed. Not The Strong comes out of the blocks with a full on Voi Vod inspired riff, the energetic foundation is merged into captivating Death/Doom that hasn't surfaced since Paradise Lost's Icon album. The guitars are to the fore, transferring from huge riffs to sublime leads with ease. And vocalist Paul Kuhr reminds you how good Nick Holmes once was before he started to croon. Broken sees the introduction of guest female vocalist Nora O'Conner, her gentle folky voice takes the ND sound off onto yet another tangent. Acoustic guitars and spoken word passages lighten the mood, her mesmerizing voice fills the background and Utopia is reached.
Within My Flesh sees another melodious acoustic intro, you're completely entranced before a monstrous Bride approved riff kicks in. The melancholic guitars weep gently and it's if the last 10 years never happened. Forget the commercial crap that masquerades as Metal these days, this is the real thing.
I did a search on Nora O'Conner on Google. All I got was info on an Irish folk singer of the same name. One and the same? Maybe. The folk part is obvious. Her captivating voice can transform a song in an instant. It's clarity and innocence reduces any aggressive intent to a soothing and calm oasis within seconds. Torn sees her take the spotlight before the clean vocals of Paul Kuhr join the fray for a heartfelt duet, before long his menacing growl returns. He flits between the two styles in glorious fashion. This is one of those releases I could rave about all day.
Novembers Doom have the quality to go as far as Paradise looked likely too before they lost the plot. After surviving ten years in a volatile industry, they deserve all the plaudits bestowed upon them.

You can love them or hate them, this won't change a fact that they are trying to do something different with each new album. Having lost their bass player (she rocked imho) Novembers Doom lost a small bit I loved in The Knowing. Anyway... Sometimes I think that with this album Novembers Doom tried to copy their last work (some tracks are very similar). The word 'copy' doesn't belong here really, because I think that band tried to take best they could from The Knowing. Album on the whole is quite different. Some will call its sound more 'gothic', but I won't do that. 'If Forver' may give you this impression, but I'd like to call it 'Candlemass compatible' :) That is just doom, this is how it evolves.

Guitar sound changed, first impression wasn't very good (demo tracks 'Not the Strong' and 'Dark Fields of Briliance'), but while listening I found that I like it. It is different to what I used to hear, it is softer. Ofcourse not all tracks sound this way. My favourite 'The Spirit Seed' isn't that soft on the guitar side. Non standard patterns, variety of voices (death,etc), The Scream (...liiives...) are wonderful. I would like to see more experiments come into this side (has a little black metal tunned in imho).

Overal this album sounds nice, has variety of songs which don't sound the same.

Lyrics mostly are simple, but who can blame them, it is doom, they don't pretend to write philosophical works (although not all songs are simple structured, just check out 'Torn'). Words expres feelings, you just have to open your mind and relive it all with music. Isn't it nice ?

Good work guys/gals, applauds go to you, I just have a wish: please don't turn into Yet Another Anathema Clone.

Ever listen to a CD and just know that the band truly feels what they write musically and lyrically? Just one listen to Novembers Doom's new CD, "To Welcome the Fade" (Dark Symphonies) will remind you just how rare of a find these are. "Not the Strong" will fill you with the true pains of doom metal, personal lyrics, and crisp production...and the rest of the CD will follow in its footsteps. You'll be hearing alot of this CD on my show, so i'm recommending it highly to any metal fan!

This review can be found at http://www.aversionline.com

Novembers Doom "To Welcome the Fade" CD
8/10 - [Dark Symphonies]
I had been waiting for this record ever since I first heard "The
Knowing", which totally blew me away. "To Welcome the Fade" continues in a
similar vein, though the band is definitely heading more in their own
direction this time out, shedding some of the obvious musical influences
(granted there are still many Opeth-isms herein) and adding more substance
to the "doom" tag. Things open incredibly powerfully with "Not the Strong",
a doom epic that paves the way for "Broken" - which brings in a lot of
dynamic shifts, including some clean riffing that has that token Novembers
Doom vibe, as well as some subtle female vocal textures. "Within My Flesh"
is a bit slower, starting out with nice acoustic guitars that lead into an
array of midpaced chord progressions that bring in a lot of creative melodic
devices, and "If Forever" is even what could be considered a "ballad" in
some ways - utilizing soft acoustic guitars and carefully executed
background synths with singing/spoken vocals and minimal percussion. Things
tend to take a more mellow turn towards the latter half of the record, with
a great deal more of the softer guitars and some excellent female lead vocal
appearances in both "The Spirit Seed" and "Torn". The production (handled by
producer extraordinaire Neil Kernon) is of course quite amazing. I don't
have any gripes. The bass is just a tad more audible than it was on the last
record (I'd still turn it up a bit to give more substance to the center of
the mix), the drums sound warm and full, the guitars are insanely crisp,
etc. Excellent work, and it's an HDCD to boot. The layout is not so unlike
that of their last album, using a lot of abstract imagery (with recognizable
elements) and consistent textures/colors throughout. There are plenty of
band photos and the text is crisp, my only minor complaint is that they
could have saved space by making everything a bit more compact. The font
used for the song titles is awesome, but the font used for the lyrics
doesn't work as well, and the text is slightly bulky - taking up a lot more
space than it needs too. The band photos (one member on every other page)
are also a bit large, I would have preferred to see more artwork, as
visually it's quite strong. Lyrically things run the emotional gamut from
shame to rage, and a glimmer of hope. However there are portions that
express pure contempt, ".I damn your life, And I pray you suffer long, And
all the angels turn their backs from the sight of your pitiful face, No god
will save your soul, For there is no love for you, You left all that behind
the day you learned to fucking speak." In the end it's very, very hard for
me to decide whether or not I like this record or "The Knowing" better.
Where "The Knowing" struck a nerve instantly, "To Welcome the Fade" takes
time to sink in - the more you listen to it, the more you appreciate it, and
the more its diversity shines through. I miss that immediate impact, though.
so, at least for now, I'd have to rank this a very close second to "The
Knowing". This is another stupendous release, however. Make no mistake.
Running time - 54:51, Tracks: 10
[Notable tracks: Not the Strong, Broken, Torn]

This review can be found at http://www.vampire-magazine.com

Reviewed by Serge on December 17, 2002.

It took me quite a while to get To Welcome The Fade in my possession, since the album has been released for a number of months already. But, it was worth the wait. Novembers Doom is a relative new band for me, I got acquainted with the Chicago-based band previous year with the album The Knowing, their previous release of 2000. The slightly romantic doom/deathmetal gripped me from the start, and it didn't take me long to get familiar with the other albums of this terrific band. Novembers Doom has followed about the same path as did most doom/deathmetal bands. Like the big trio My Dying Bride, Anathema and Paradise Lost, Novembers Doom started out as a dark and heavy band and they progressed to be a little less extreme, more melody etc.
To get back to their latest album To Welcome The Fade, it is a logical progression (I'd almost say extension) from The Knowing. The Knowing is a little more raw, while To Welcome The Fade emphasizes more on the emotions in the music. And a fine result it is. I'm enjoying this album immensely, and I dare say it's my favorite Novembers Doom album to date!
As can be expected by the band, the sound and production is in perfect balance, as are the song compositions. To Welcome The Fade turns out to be quite the varied album, with both slower and faster songs and all kinds of emotions and speeds in between. I'm especially fond of the vocals by Paul Kuhr, who have become more powerful since The Knowing, and have been better mixed with the rest of the music. The only minority are the lyrics, that can be weird at times (to put it mildly). On the other hand, lyrics on tracks such as Not The Strong (a terrific opener!) and Dark Fields For Brilliance (a terrific ending song of the album) are good; personal and emotional.
With music, sound etc all covered now, rests me to say the artwork's brilliant (a good portrayal of the atmosphere the music breathes) and this release is especially interesting for fans of My Dying Bride and older Anathema. I want more!

This review can be found at: http://www.zenial.nl/review/towelcom.htm

Well, 'the Knowing' was a very good album and my expectatives were very high. This release is a total triumph !
Definitely, Novembers Doom have their own style, far from the early MDB sound, and this time the music are more experimental, with major presence of acoustic guitars and female vocals.
The first part of the album is similar to 'the Knowing', but with 'if forever', the fifth song, the sound takes other direction followed by the totally brilliant 'the Spirit seed' and the beautiful 'Torn'.
By the way, the album is produced by a grammy winner, so if you like emotional and depressive music don't miss this.

Review by: danchloe

This review can be found at: http://hot.ee/voit/Week38.htm

NOVEMBERS DOOM - TO WELCOME THE FADE (DARK SYMPHONIES) (170.00)
With already 3 full lengths under their belt NOVEMBERS DOOM is already a well known band in the death/doom metal scene! Starting out as a slow death metal act, they kept on introducing more and more interesting genre-exceeding musical elements with each release, much to the appreciation to the many fans of the band! With 'Welcome to the fade' they made their strongest album to date, massive melancholic metal tracks with nostalgic riffing and astonishing powerful accompaniment, topped with emotional grunting vocals! Recommended!

Translated from French (and poorly I may add): http://vsolutions.free.fr/

The doom of November, it is like the new beaujolais wine, that returns every year at the same date. This year, it is a little advances some, it arrived to us as of October and one will not complain any. Déja the fourth album for the group, time passed since "Amid its hallowed mirth" left in 1995 at Avantgarde music but it is especially with "The knowing" a third album unanimenent greeted that NOVEMBER' S DOOM had acquired a certain fame. It is thus with a certain apprehension that this album was awaited. For those which would have passed to with dimensions from NOVEMBER' S DOOM here a crash course of correction: good step of trap, it is well doom about which it all is, of the precise doom-death and to be succeeded, because one can really place this American group (and yes...) at the cotès of MY DYING ATTACHES or the ANATHEMA period doom-death. Here not of violins or piano (except on instrumental "the Dreams to follow" which is precisely only piano). Just some rare keys of synthès or female song but the principal place is occupied here by the guitar. This new opus guard the same receipt a brilliant alternation of passages atmospheric, heavy, with the environments of darkest and depressive, with clear song or more generally death but always filled up of sincere and great emotion, and faster passages, with the riffs among most leaded which are. The very good melodies really haunt you the head a long time after the end of the listening of the album. It is difficult to leave a title the batch, so much the wafer as a whole is good, not titles of fillings here but let us quote all the same "Not the strong" which opens the album, "The lifeless silhouette" and its passage spoken which pointed out BEYOND to me DAWN of "Pity coils" or very simple "Dark fields for brilliance" in its structure but of a frightening effectiveness with its imparables gone up in power which majestueusement close an album which one cannot prevent oneself from recovering... You will see never again November of the same eye after having listened this momument of the doom-death.
[ Posted by : Sheb | Note: 17/20 |Nb of readings: 2858 ]

This review was translated from Italian. Original review at:
http://www.hmportal.it/

I'm sorry if I can tell you only right now about this new Novembers Doom's release, but several things made this cd stay far from me...
Anyway... many years have passed since the debut of these american doomsters, that 'Amid Its Hallowed Mirth' (1995, now reissued by their label Dark Symphonies).
From then, the band continued to walk the path they started, with good and bad moments of course, but I think the most important one is now, with the release of the beautiful 'To Welcome The Fade'. Magisterially produced by that genius that's Neil Kernon (Nevermore and Cannibal Corpse), I think that this album can show it's unquestionable resources.
It's sound is simply marvellous: from drums to the guitars, the production makes the sound so clear and power that it's difficult to stop listening at it.
From a musical point of view, we've got something new from Novembers Doom: as now I think that them who have always considered'em My Dying Bride's american alter-egos will be disappointed (even if the similarities between Kuhr's vocals and Stainthorp's are sometimes strong), finding a band that instead of living in the shadows of the other, has lit their own star in the metal music sky.
Their death-influenced doom metal approach is now fully developed in something that embraces also gothic and atmosferic kinds of music, making of each song a lil story with own life.
The album starts with fast and aggressive songs such as "Not The Strong", "Broken" or "Lost In A Day", three speed songs with a "heart" made of catchy rhythms that conquer at first time.
Compared to the brutality of the vocal style of Paul Khur, they create catchy atmosferes thanks to the keyboards (played by Eric Burnley) that give the sound a gothic approach, and classic guitar arpeggios, while there are songs, such as "With The Flesh", that remind me of the early productions of the band, slower and more doom-related.
After this first half, in the second part of the album we find a break with the acoustic and yet melodic "If Forever", where we can listen to the beautiful voice of the female singer Nora O' Conner.
'To Welcome The Fade' gets back its dark mood with the next tracks that show how lethal could be the union between the aggressiveness and violence of death/doom and the melancholy and beauty of gothic.
A great comeback for Novembers Doom, a band that has lived for too many years in the shadows of bigger names, and that maybe this time they can get what they deserve.

Highly recommended

TECNIQUE: 4/5
SONGWRITING: 4,5/5
PRODUCTION: 5/5
INNOVATION: 4/5

RATING: 86/100

Review by Evil Frons (evil_frons@hmportal.it)

This review can be found at: http://www.quintessence.sh/

Novembers Doom
To Welcome the Fade
Dark Symphonies

Here we`ve got Novembers Doom`s fourth full-length and once again this American Doom/Death act has released a magnificent album. This band around vocalist Paul Kuhr have suffered from numerous line-up changes but always managed to record new albums that maintained the high standard this band realized starting with their debut. Over the years they`ve changed a bit. In their early years they were mainly influenced by My Dying Bride but after a while some Opeth influences came into their music as well. They can`t be labelled as a rip-off because they have their own particular sound which they firmly hold on to. Using Neil Kernon as producer for this album makes sure this album sounds very mighty, a real pleasure to listen to. Great artwork by Travis Smith makes this album complete. Truely one of the best doom/death-acts emerging from the States. So if you`re into My Dying Bride and Opeth I really advise you to get this album. You won`t be disappointed.

Pim

Direct link to review: http://www.metalgospel.com/Reviews/ndtowelcome.html

NOVEMBERS DOOM - To Welcome The Fade (Dark Symphonies~2002)
What a fantastic Death / Doom Metal band these guys are! They haven´t yet disappointed me throughout their entire career and they certainly don´t disappoint with "To Welcome The Fade". This is a great new album that features awesome growling Death vocals, keyboards used with care and kept as more of a background instrument the way it should be in most cases, subtle use of female vocals and an enveloping, dark and very emotion filled atmospheric aura. Reminds me a lot of MY DYING BRIDE or old ANATHEMA so fans of those two in particular would want to check out NOVEMBERS DOOM.
-Cheryl

This review can be found at Chronicles of Chaos - http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com

Novembers Doom - _To Welcome the Fade_

(Dark Symphonies, 2002)

by: Pedro Azevedo (9 out of 10)

By consolidating their sound and tightening their focus, Novembers Doom have created an album which is the culmination of their career so far. Having witnessed from afar the evolution and tribulations of this band over the years, I am thoroughly pleased with their achievement. _To Welcome the Fade_ comes presented in very suitable Travis Smith artwork (some of his best to date), and boasts the production talents of Grammy award winner Neil Kernon as well as top notch digital equipment. The album does sound very good, but it is the consistent quality Novembers Doom manage to deliver throughout that makes all the difference. A stronger effort all around than its promising predecessor _The Knowing_, _To Welcome the Fade_ shows an experienced band that is on top of their style and no longer seems to feel the need to 'expand' their sound. True enough, "The Spirit Seed" sports quite a bit of an Opeth influence that couldn't be found before, but all in all the album does have a very consistent character. The band's doom/death can break hearts and crush bones with similar ease on _To Welcome the Fade_. There are some remarkable gems to be found within the CD, most notably the superb "Within My Flesh" -- one of the best doom metal tracks of recent years -- which follows the more than suitable start provided by "Not the Strong" and "Broken". This is a thoroughly competent and inspired album from Novembers Doom, and a must for any doom metal fan.

(article submitted 3/21/2003)

This review can be found at: http://www.tragenda.net/

Very interesting come back for this North American band. ?To Welcome the Fade? is their best achievement so far. Novembers Doom play a very melodic, atmospheric, melancholic kind of mid to fast-paced death metal. The use of soft parts helps the overall emotional and melancholic atmosphere of the album, although they get quite pompous at times. Guitars are very, very melodic, and are easily the main feature of their music. There are also some acoustic guitar parts, usuallymelancholic and felt. As for vocals, Paul is a growler, but sometimes he uses clean vocals: on the whole both this vocals fit the music quite nicely. Worth to mention is also the gloomy artwork by Travis Smith. In closing, all I have to say is this: if you like melodic death metal and Opeth in particular you should look into Novembers Doom's music, because this album is an excellent release for one of the best Usa?s band.

This review can be found at: http://www.sinisterweb.co.uk/esoterica/reviews/apr272003.html

Novembers Doom - To Welcome the Fade (Dark Symphonies)

Novembers Doom, despite persistently clinging to an incorrectly-apostrophised name, have spent a few years now, since Dark Symphonies picked them up, enjoying the status of a respected underground band. One can only assume that not many metallers are particularly stringent grammarians. To Welcome the Fade is a strong step forward from their previous album The Knowing, and indeed is a solid and generally enjoyable listen, but there are some disturbing aspects to it which lead me to suspect that Novembers Doom are cementing themselves into a niche from they will never be able to emerge; they are highly proficient musicians, adept at absorbing influences, amalgamating them and producing quality albums on which one can hardly see the joins between those influences. However, do they have it in them to transcend this face-dancer phase and really produce something that really has character of its own? Unfortunately, I doubt it. The question for you, dear reader, is to decide whether or not that's the sort of thing that bothers you.

Certainly, The Knowing was well-received here at Esoterica. Its emulation of My Dying Bride's mid-period moments combined with that curiously endearing naïveté many underground US acts possess had a certain inescapable charm, and indicated that on our hands was an act which had really created a solid base on which it could construct a series of enjoyable albums. It's really quite ironic, and probably totally inexplicable at first, that delivering a significantly better follow-up album has left me scratching my head wondering how good this band truly its at its core. There's no question whatsoever that To Welcome the Fade isn't a good album, on many levels; it's packed with well-written, melodic (but not noodly) riffs, delicate acoustic interludes, fluid, coherent songwriting and is immaculately recorded with a perfectly balanced sound. The thing is, that sentence is a pretty good description of any of Opeth's albums, and it would be ridiculous to deny that the all-conquering Swedish maestros had not had a profound impact on Novembers Doom since the latter's last release. This is a very Opeth album indeed, in contrast to The Knowing being a very My Dying Bride album. It seems, therefore, that Novembers Doom are content to flit around between metal styles, picking out shiny bits from the metal spoil-heap like magpies and changing direction on a whim depending on what they've been listening to most lately. The only rational deduction to be made is that Novembers Doom are seriously lacking in internal inspiration, and without a bit of a re-think can probably never hope to move forward from the position I mentioned earlier, of respected underground name, to prime-moving, idea-generating genre leader. In this respect they remind very much of the similarly-named Novembre, another band with their retinue of faithful fans who nonetheless are more widely perceived as playing second fiddle to Opeth, with many ideas worth hearing but, it must be admitted, several passages of numb ordinariness regarding which we must be grateful for the invention of the skip button.

But does it really matter? Maybe not. To fans of Opeth and My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom can do nothing but entertain, despite its relative lack of character. To Welcome the Fade is simply not in possession of the intangible essence of a great record, but is an extremely well-played pastiche of some killer bands, replete with some genuinely beautiful musical moments, and if you're going to pick two bands to emulate, far better they be Bride and Opeth than, say, Gardenian and Night in Gales. The final decision is, as ever, in your hands.
Harry

This review can be found at: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=1667364%23post1667364 and http://www.rawnervepromotions.co.uk/reviews/reviews.php?id=755&sort=latest

Novembers Doom ? To Welcome The Fade
Dark Symphonies ? dark18 ? 2002
By Russell Garwood

Novembers Doom hail from Chicago, and recently released their latest album through US label Dark Symphonies. Unsurprisingly "To Welcome The Fade" is doom based, but the melodic, death-influenced sound also contains gothic touches, which makes for a more original sound.

Vocals come courtesy of Paul Kuhr, whose easily decipherable growls match the morose music to perfection, while hoarsely whispered and spoken sections show Anathema parallels. Singing adds further variation and respite from harsher sections, often supported by acoustic guitars which give the music a Gothenburg feel. Instrumental sections also remind me of early doom, with occasional female vox (Nora O?Connor) adding more atmosphere in a sound already drowning in sheer hopelessness. Guitars by Eric Burnley (who also plays keyboards) and Larry Roberts switch between melodic yet heavy distorted lines, which speak of longing and anger, and clean/acoustic phrases swathed in wistful melancholy. Bass is provided by session musician Brian Gordon, whose a solid low end gives the music impact, while drums from Joe Nunez are precise and direct.

This well rounded and unexpectedly varied sound is cemented by the top quality production of Niel Kernon (Nevermore, Cannibal Corpse, Judas Priest, Kansas, Yes, Queensryche) which is well balanced, clear and, above all, powerful. Throughout the smooth dynamic changes and differing sounds the recording is excellent, and the music is gelled by a disheartening streak which runs throughout. My only complaint would be the lyrics, which - while poetic - at times I?m not too keen on. But as they match the music well in feeling, this is largely immaterial. All in all "To Welcome The Fade" is an accomplished album, which fans of both melodic death and doom will appreciate, as well as many lovers of emotional music in general.

this review can be found at: http://www.full-strength.net/world_review_novembersdoom.html

Novembers Doom 'To Welcome The Fade'

2002 | Dark Symphonies| Reviewer: Krozza

Anyone remember Paradise Lost - the Gothic metal band? Remember ?Icon? and to a lesser extent, ?Draconian Times?? You know how they completely lost the plot from then on - well here is a band that exists to fill the void. Now, I am at pains to paint Chicago?s Novembers Doom as pure copyists (and it?s not an overly new observation) of the PL style - they most certainly are not - but as an act that forges a path that PL ?could? have taken, then Novembers Doom do it better than any other act I?ve heard.

The name ?Novembers Doom? might be a new name to you, yet this is their sixth official release and fourth full length. I?ve been a little slow on the uptake myself, however I specifically ordered this new album in on the strength and conviction of the bands previous effort - 2000?s ?The Knowing?. It is still an album I regularly play due to its magnificent melancholy atmosphere. One track, in particular stood out - ?Silent Tomorrow? - it is pure emotional heaviness at it?s best. The rest of ?The Knowing? was just as captivating for me and I knew this was a band I needed to keep my eye on - Hence my excitement at laying my hands on this new one ?To Welcome The Fade?.

Needless to say really, but WTTF is everything and more of what I expected from this band. The spellbinding aura of despair and misery that ?The Knowing? displayed has been captured in a whole new light on this new album. WTTF is an album that just drips with ?feeling? and emotive power - from the mellow, morose piano/acoustic elements and the folk inspired aspects, to the haunting female vocals (Nora O?Conner), to the desperate atmospheric melodies that form the red line through each of the 10 tracks written here.

Unbelievably, WTTF is an even more mature and confident release than ?The Knowing? - this band has a formula that works immeasurable wonders. The song writing, their structure and dynamics have improved, allowing an even more all-enveloping sound to be created. And the production! - Seriously punters, the utter weight and power that this album has is mind blowing. Heavy? Fucking hell - the guitar production (from Neil Kernon (Nevermore, Cannibal Corpse) delivered on WTTF is crushingly heavy. There are many examples - but the opening riff of ?Lost in a Day? is outstanding. This heaviness only adds to the all out effect that this band conveys. Never moving far from slow to mid tempo rhythms, WTTF is a monstrous ?doom? laden affair - check the Candlemass-like mid-section of the opening track ?Not the Strong? for evidence. Elements of My Dying Bride are also evident in ND?s music - the slower guitar riff components giving rise to the comparison. This is offset via the gentler folk/acoustic, atmospheric moments that remind of mid-period Anathema, such is the feeling developed.

There is always something interesting about ND?s song writing on WTTF - in particular, the use of their dynamics that bring their songs from raging hulking doom beasts to serene, soothing morose passages and back again without ever feeling forced or contrived. The final track ?Dark Fields for Brilliance? is a stunning example of this - it?s a magnificent track that builds throughout to a powerful ending - In my opinion, just about the best thing they?ve written (other than ?Torn? - see further down). Add the aforementioned use of Nora O?Conner?s sweet vocals and the result is pure magic - Nora is not a typical opera-style singer, and therefore, for me at least, adds a more human element to her lyrics. Working solo and in tandem with Paul Kuhr?s powerful growl, the effect is mesmerizing and is one of the more outstanding components of this sensational band. It is the track ?Torn? which highlights this astounding pairing of vocals - mellow and captivating, doom laden yet inspiring, ?Torn? is a simply amazing track. No matter what your tastes in music, this track will melt hearts in an instant such is its quality.

WTTF is one of the heaviest albums I?ve heard this year. It is also one of the best releases for 2002. It has surprised me in it?s quality - I was prepared for something of note, but really, as I continue to listen to this album, it has become an even more powerful affair than I ever expected. For fans of ultra heavy, doom-laden music, intelligently constructed and swathed in pure emotive grace and power, WTTF comes highly recommended. Who needs Paradise Lost?they could never have been this good?.

This review can be found at: http://www.metal-observer.com/gb/reviews/rev3497.html

Novembers Doom - To Welcome The Fade (9/10) - USA - 2003

This third release from NOVEMBERS DOOM arrived on my desk the day before their first two arrived by mail-order. Normally, when possible, I like to review a band after becoming familiar with as much material as I can get but I went about this backwards and due to time constraints lately, I have yet to explore the older CDs. Besides, it makes no difference as far as this opus is concerned…it's brilliant.

My expectations were certainly high upon witnessing the beautiful cover artwork. It is instantly recognizable as a Travis Smith work…see OPETH, KATATONIA, NEVERMORE and many others or better yet check out all his work at www.seempieces.com. This piece cries of pain, tragedy and sombreness and should be enough to indicate the type of listening ears the music should grace.

I was immediately alerted to the OPETHIAN similarities in this band. Please do not get me wrong, they are not a clone. They are similar in vibe, atmosphere and perhaps the harsh vocals. They share the love for the acoustic/heavy inter-mix but they manage to make their style their own. Spoken male vocals as well as soft, sweet female vocals are also used periodically to add both depth and ambience. I find the songs a bit more straightforward in terms of general song-writing, time signatures, etc and generally the tracks are shorter than those of OPETH…not a bad thing at all, just different.

The production is absolutely spectacular as I have come to expect from Neil Kernon. The drum sound is very solid and profound and the heavy guitar has a thick sound that few can get but all would love to have. The acoustic elements are absolutely clear and beautiful. When graced with the voice of guest vocalist Nora O'Connor, it feels like she is sitting right in front of me. Need I say more?

Upon repeated listens, I find myself at a loss as far as picking out standout tracks. I realize this is simply because that is not what they are about. They create dark, tragic, sombre music that is about mood and feeling. The lyrics however do stand out…they are appropriate to the music, thoughtful and even stunning at times. The tracks vary a great deal as far as heaviness is concerned however, the band never lose sight of this musical goal and vision. I don't doubt with dozens of listens, favourite tracks shall emerge but for now I am happy reporting it as conceptually all very strong.

"To Welcome The Fade" is an amazing work of beautiful music. This belongs in all collections that contain any OPETH or KATATONIA. Although NOVEMBERS DOOM definitely are all their own, these are the bands that I think they most closely resemble in genre. Perhaps Avantgarde Metal if you will. Regardless of classification…they are absolute Class! (Online October 10, 2003)

Status
Not open for further replies.