Discuss Reviews for "To Welcome the Fade"

This review of "To Welcome the Fade" can be found at www.metalreview.com

November's Doom is well experienced in the realm of making albums. "To Welcome the Fade" is their sixth official release and combines elements of melodic metal with doom inspired passages and overall sound. I must say that "November's Doom" is the absolute perfect name for this band. Their music transposes a very cold and sorrow filled visual in my mind.

As I listen, I imagine an old man struggling through windswept snow drifts under a dark and gloomy sky. Reaching out for a frozen black rose that seems just out of grasp, but it is something that continues to remain elusive. Every step requiring more effort than the last, still the old man trudges onward.

The vocals consist of a somewhat toned down guttural rasp sound, separated by smooth, clean vocals with the occasional spoken passages. Very heavy and dark! The vocals offer a nice contrasting combination that project an extremely intense experience. I like the feel that the vocals carry, but some of the lyrics are quite sappy. There are times when a female backing voice is used and that, again, carry the dark ambiance that helps define November's Doom. If the lyrics were a little better, I'd be very impressed overall. As it stands, I'm fairly impressed.

There's not a whole lot to say about the musicianship in November's Doom. Each instrument, while not extraordinary, is consistent and fully adequate. Everything is well represented here and portrays a complete melancholy ambiance. Whether it be the bottom heavy riffs, the smooth harmonized chords or the clean acoustic; it all sounds very good and well balanced.

There are lots of backing tracks that do a great job in support of the songs. Keyboards are used about the perfect amount. Backing guitar tracks are very complimentary as well. This a very well thought out and executed album, aside from some of the lyrics. But, the backing and diverse vocals make up for much of what the lyrics lack.

The album is very consistent, so it's hard to single out a song as a favorite. That's a good sign for an album. Most songs switch between the heavy doom and the smoother melodic style a few times and that helps make things a little more interesting. I will say that this is an album that I have to be in the mood for. Basically, if you're feeling energetic, this album will seem a bit slow.

This album is about feeling. Not speed, not technical ability; just plain feeling. The album is very well produced with very focused drums and diverse strings and vocals. This album has a very full tone and all instruments are heard clearly. A very solid production! I highly recommend this album if you like darker, slower tempo and melodic metal. Light a candle, dim the lights and crank up the volume!

Production: 5.5/6
Lyrical Content: 4/6
Overall: 5/6

Reviewer: WHITE KNUCKLE WIZARD

Well, once again, Im attacked in the lyric content. You try to write differently, and write something personal, and people dont get it. Well, when the January issue of Metal Maniacs comes out this November, everyone will know EXACTLY what the lyrics are all about, and hopefully, people will see it differently.

And another thing about these reviews. I am so sick of some of these guys/gals ripping on the fact that its not super fast and technical. First of all, most music of this type has to be more technical than the fast shredding stuff to create that atmosphere. You can't just play a few power chords and say good enough. It just won't work. You need to actually delve into the world of harmony and god forbid, music theory. I just wish some of these reviewers would be forced to write a song that gushes with emotion and feeling just so they know how difficult it actually is. Alright, I'm done now.

Alot of times, people mistake playing slower, more melodic music as "not extraordinary" musicianship. I've come to accept that people think that way. Whats funny is that in the past when we've needed to add a new guitarist, or drummer, or bassist, we've had a hell of a time finding people who are really capable of playing this stuff properly. We've had death metal musicians come out to audition assuming that they could do it with no problem, and once they were really shown how to play the songs correctly with the proper feel and the tunings we use, they couldnt hack it. It's not to say that Eric or myself are virtuosos by any means, or that death metal guitarists arent talented because there are tons that are excellent musicians. But I think that in this country especially, playing really fast and technical is respected automatically for being proficient and talented. I know personally some guys that can play the most intense brutal technical metal there is, but when they sit down and try to play something like "Spiral Architect" by Black Sabbath, or "Divinity" by Amorphis, or any song like that, it sounds like a disaster, because they cant grasp the feel and sense of melody. Then again, I know some death metal bands out there who would blow people away if they were ever to show their full musical potential and diversity.
The problem with alot of reviewers who critique the musicianship of bands, is that the reviewers have no real knowledge of playing music and what is truly impressive. If they dont hear really fast crazy drum patterns and fast sweeping guitar solos, they don't think it's anything impressive or that it must be simple to play. Oh well. Like I told someone the other day, you cant always judge the technical ability of a musician based on one cd you hear or a particular band they may be playing with at the time. Listening to Novembers Doom, you'd never even know that I knew how to play a fast guitar solo. And trust me, I can, hehe....

This is the English translation of the Portuguese review found at http://www.metalvox.com/home/default.asp

NOVEMBERS DOOM - TO WELCOME THE FADE _(NOTE: 4.5/5)
(DARK SYMPHONIES)

The Novembers complete Doom this year with its ten years of life. Nothing better to commemorate this decade than to launch a new album, in this particular case in the room of its career - beyond a MCD. Consolidating the name of the ND as a great exponent of the Doom Metal in all this worthless planet. The melancholic feelings of these Americans are passed shiningly in its musics which possesss a climatic variation and of perfect intensity. Of fact the band reaches its intention with care and devotion. In this question the band shows all its seriousness, therefore a winner of a Grammy brought "to manage" the production: Neil Kernon (Kansas, Yes, Queensryche, Judas Priest, Nevermore and Cannibal Corpse). The citizen is involved in such a way with all the processes of the writing, that makes one drown in the music and guitar solo of _"Dark Fields For Brilliance" or the "emotional attachment" of the vocals in "If Forever." The sum of their Doom art is a grand album of the ND, highly recommendable for the connoisseur of sorrowful Metal! _(JA - 18/08/2002)

Review can be found at: http://digitalmetal.com/reviews.asp?cid=3609

To Welcome the Fade
(Dark Symphonies)

Credit should be given to tiny Dark Symphonies for signing this band, one of the U.S.'s most respected doom/death acts, and shame on other labels for not giving these talented veterans a look. "To Welcome the Fade", is the fifth album from Chicago's' morose sons, and if there was a "safe" album that has no surprises, fulfills expectations and continues with predictable excellence, this is that album. If you own their last two efforts Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers and The Knowing, you pretty much know what to expect here. While Novembers Doom seem to be considered doom metal, I think it's unfair to compare them to true doom acts like classic My Dying Bride, Morgion, or Shape of Despair, despite the melancholy lyrics focused on the more tragic side of human nature and emotions. The music is far more varied than true doom metal. To be honest, structure-wise the songs are more akin to atmospheric death metal like Garden of Shadows, Daylight Dies and even Rapture. Despite the often saddened lyrical stance, the pace is actually often fairly up-tempo, but it's the clever use of the riffs, acoustics and especially the vocals that present a dolorous feel; although the songs never lumber into the drawn out agony and angst of true doom. This shows how talented Novembers Doom is, as the mid-paced material does belie a far more sorrowful atmosphere within its oppressive underside. It all begins with vocalist Paul Kuhr: who, in my opinion, has the most perfect voice for this type of music. His very gruff yet understandable growl portrays the loss, love and sunken hope of the lyrics perfectly. However, his clean croon isn't quite as effective in conveying the mood. Speaking of the lyrics, this is the only real letdown for me. Despite Kuhr's superb delivery, the contrived lyrics of lovelorn tragedy, loss, and general woe aren't that deep or meaningful; I was writing this kind of stuff as a forlorn, angst ridden teen years ago. But it suits the music, and again, Kuhr simply gives them depth all by himself. Musically, guitarists Eric Burnley and Larry Roberts mix a sobering delivery of oppressive riffs and delicate melodies that mix Sabbathian vastness and Anathema-like harmonies, all with a bit of added U.S. pacing. "Not The Strong", opens with a quick riff, and gets straight to the point, something The Knowing never really did, and its surprisingly upbeat pace displays the band as far more than simple two note dirge mongers. "Broken" and "Lost In a Day" follow suite, again with a faster pace, leaving this listener honestly agape at the immediacy of the first three songs. The latter, having more in common with some of the recent accessible goth rock coming out of Finland (Downfall, Charon, HIM). It's not until "Within My Flesh", where Novembers Doom come up with something resembling doom metal. Possibly the album's best track, it reeks of classic Anathema, with an absolutely heart rending acoustic intro and wonderful layered main riff. They take a bit of a step back with the wandering acoustic track, "If Forever" that uses purely clean vocals and an acoustic guitar that essentially removes all the things that ND do well leaving a stark, lifeless "ballad" that was better suited to The Knowing. They make things right with "The Spirit Seed", which starts the album's slide into more gloomy territory. "If Forever" is probably the only real filler song on the album (other than a very short piano only "Dreams Will Follow"), and appears to be a turning point in the album, as it takes a turn towards the more gloomy side, with less of the commercial feel of the album's first few tracks. It also seems include female voice Nora O'Connor a little more, which gives the album more balance. Her voice isn't as cliched as many of the dual female/growl combos, as she is far more bluesy, a lot like Marian Aas Hansen on Fleurety's Min Tid Skal Komme (still an unsurpassed female performance on a metal album) and offers a subtle contrast to Kuhr's powerful growl. They end the album with the slightly disappointing "Dark Fields for Brilliance" (it's the album's only let down), as it seems to follow the same drawn out lack of direction that surfaced on The Knowing, and doesn't have the immediate impact of the rest of this album's more focused tracks. Either way, this is a pretty darn good album from a band that has found a formula, perfected it and knows how to tread a fine line between doom and death metal. I only wish they wouldn't play it so safe, and would be a little more adventurous or progressive. I'd love to hear would these guys could do with a real string section or some other elements, but I must not grumble, as they are excellent at what they do. Add to the formula a pristine production, and you have a winning album that should please fans of the band and maybe entice some new ones to the somber world of Novembers Doom.
[Erik Thomas]

I think the reason the comparisons to MDB, Paradise Lost, and early Anathema (where the fuck did that one come from??) are because most reviewers have only heard those bands from the Doom Metal genre, so they lump you in with them. I am not a fan of MDB or PL, but a huge fan of Anathema... and you guys sound NOTHING like them. That's a weird one...

Hehe...just kidding!!

Hello to all you ND bastardos! This is Citizen NK. How's it going? Nice reviews I see. Wish I could get a mention once in a while though <wink>

By the way, Eric DID break my tuner, and it shows...

NK

HarHar Jim Lad!! Cap'n Carnahan at yer disposable panties!!

Wassup Pol? Heard the new Opeth yet? Is it good? (please don't reply to that part if you haven't heard it yet :)

Originally posted by NK
By the way, Eric DID break my tuner, and it shows...
Hey, I did what you said: only tune the strings you intend to use.
hgs-b1.gif

This is the English translation of the Polish review to appear in the next issue of Retiarius Zine (to be out at the end of 2002):

NOVEMBERS DOOM "To Welcome the Fade" (Dark Symphonies)

These guys from the US, who had followed a path of ANATHEMA, KATATONIA
and few other so-called European fames of doom-alike music, have
decided to move forward. So they used Neil Kernon (a guy who was
responsible for production of QUEENSRYCHE, NEVERMORE, JUDAS PRIEST
and CANNIBAL CORPSE albums) to produce "To Welcome the Fade." The band wrote
10 brand new tracks and now we do know that they have left the whole lot
of the other bands behind, and I dare to tell you that the same they
have done with the masters (the aforementioned ANATHEMA and KATATONIA
which starts to eat their own tail since some time). First of all,
NOVEMBERS DOOM are focused on atmosphere, which, combining with
unbelievable heaviness and growlings of Paul Kuhr has been done
perfectly. In contrast with that, the guys used a female voice of
Nora O'Conner from time to time. And some people say that this kind
of singing fades away and bands of that kind only use choirs, not too
well done clear vocals and so called women shrieks and shit like
that... Anyway, already "Not the Strong" leaves no illusion; it will
be a solid metal album. Until "Dark Fields of Brilliance" which
actually ends this recording, everything flows like one, let's say
it, a very sad tale of life in suffering. It's the best depicted in a
very emotional and heavy as heaviest brick "Lost in a Day" or "Within
My Flesh," and a very silent "If Forever" song. As a bonus taster we
have here a guest appearance of a producer Neil Kernon. Perhaps the
only one thing it makes this perfect picture broken a little bit are
too silent acoustics here and there. In my opinion, this should have
been exposed much more, especially as we know that the overall
production and musicianship are just fucking great.

The author: Wojciech "Diovis" Szymañski

This review can be found at Walls of Fire webzine: www.wallsoffire.de

November´s Doom - To Welcome The Fade (Dark Symphonies) _
Author's Rating: 4/5 Stars
Release Date: September 2002 _

Doom Death in a kind of autumnal mood is offered us by Novembers Doom and the band from the United States has several fellows there. "To Welcome The Fade" wants to make the change into the dark season easier for us as the title says and in general it continues the style of their previous album "The Knowing" .
Slow and powerful November Doom are and take care to be melodic always. The vocals reach from growls to clean and spoken passages, sometimes the band uses female vocals and overall they deliver the massive amount of emotions the lyrics have, which are written by vocalist Paul Kuhr. Overall the songs are mainly arranged "downtempo" but they offer much pressure, what is emphasized by the production quite well. But the well- arranged structures are in some moments one point to criticise on this album, for Novembers Doom sometimes take too much wind out of their own sails - the somehow progressive structures calm down in almost every track and sometimes the track loses much of its power.
A quite unusual song on this album is "If Forever". Even if the song is not bad it does not play in the same class as most of the other tracks. "To Welcome The Fade" could be a great album if it included more tracks like "The Lifeless Shilouette" or "Dark Fields For Brilliance".
But nevertheless the album offers many very good tracks, many good ideas and impresses very much in most moments. Novembers Doom try to keep their own note and they do this very well - even if the album could have been slightly better.
I think "To Welcome The Fade" could be a good album for Opeth Fans and for all of you that are searching for an "autumnal" album to dream a little bit. 8 points for a very good album that will without doubt rotate very often in the player of many of you - even if there are more bang- compatible albums.

Author: [aragorn]