Discussion for anyone who enjoys playing an instrument, at any level.

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
I am bored and looking to start some fresh discussion on this board.

For anyone who plays an instrument, even just those bedroom guitarists out there...what is your favourite stuff to play? What do you find yourself always going back to automatically when you just want to pick up your instrument for some fun?

My favourite music to play on guitar has always been Black Sabbath stuff, ever since I first started playing. The Bluesy licks and heavy riffs are always just so fun to get your fingers around, not too challenging to pick up, but always rewarding to hear.

Anyone else?

I've started playing the harmonica. It's cool, because you can just pick it up an play it pretty much anywhere, and they're relatively cheap. I'm also in the (extraordinarily early) midst of learning the ukelele, and I've got a jaw harp as well. Simplest instrument on the planet!

My guitar and bass don't get much of a look in now-a-days.

Lately I've been playing "Happy Birthday to You" and "Frere Jacques" on a toy keyboard. I'm thinking of restringing my guitar while I'm on leave and re-teaching myself some stuff. I used to be able to play "Snowblind" and "War Pigs" many years ago.

I can't even remember the last time I picked up the guitar to actually noodle on stuff I enjoy rather than it being work-related with one project or another. Sad, really. :(

But when I did noodle around, I think Maiden and Dokken songs were highest up on the list of fun stuff I enjoyed to play for myself. I do enjoy the stuff I'm recording, of course, but ultimately that's still intended for commercial release somewhere down the line or for me to be well rehearsed so we don't suck live, so I have to be very pedantic about how I play it and that tends to take a bit of the fun out of it.

Metallica's album "Ride The Lightning" is what i always fall back on, it has heaps of great riffs n basic solo's.

go to ultimate-guitar.com n learn "I Am Murloc" n youtube it

Back in 1989 (or maybe 1990?) when I used to play the drums, I enjoyed playing along to Ride the Lightning. I do so miss playing the drums - the one instrument I was ever any good at (apart from the recorder).

I don't so much play other band's songs, I may learn the occasionaly riff or something once a week which is more to learn a new technique like a shape or lick, to get ideas for my own compostitions, which is where all my time on the guitar goes. I love nothing more than writing riffs that sound good. The stuff I usually write is big progressive songs which aren't very technical or shreddy, and usually have big harmony with keyboards and lead bass parts, which all ends up being like an Opeth, Katatonia, Akercocke style but usually more major, epic and happier (for lack of a better word) than these gloomy bands.

So I noodle away (I play guitar and bass, and can compose for keyboards and drums even though I don't play) till I find something I may use in a song, and then bung it in GP5 where I have about 15 songs, 10 or something of which I put in an album context and intend to record sometime down the track, once I get a band together for some months.

I took up the bass roughly 4-5 years ago because my old band's original bass player disappeared (literally, he simply vanished one day) but moved away from that a few years ago to focus more on my singing and song writing.

having it in storage for almost a year too didn't help much with my playing.

when I was playing I was pretty shit but jammed out to Black Sabbath (which is really hard for a beginner on the bass), some Sepultura and free style stuff.
might get back to it but also want to learn the guitar.

also thinking of taking up the keyboards and some basic drums just so I can get my songs written and expressed easier.
harmonica and sqeezebox would be cool too for blues and folk.

yeah only a wanker would name themselves Lord without any credentials so make sure u get some credentials before making ur band.

I have a cd burner if u want me to help u get ur demo out

Goreripper said:
I used to be able to play "Snowblind" and "War Pigs" many years ago.
Snowblind is a favourite of mine as I more regularly pick up the accoustic than bother plugging in, and it sounds great.
when I was playing I was pretty shit but jammed out to Black Sabbath (which is really hard for a beginner on the bass)
Indeed, Geezer is one awesome bass lord.