Does playing an instrument change the way you listen to music?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Just curious, but I've been playing the guitar for about 15 years now (never really seriously though) and when I truly focus on listening to music, I can't help but dissect all the instruments into their different tracks. I guess I almost transcribe it in my head. I think this stems from learning how to play by ear, and forcing myself to pick out the guitar tracks from the rest of the music...

Anyway, if you play an instrument, do you automatically do the same? What if you don't play anything - do your ears pick out the details?

I started playing instruments when I was 8 so it's hard to tell if I listen to music differently as a musician, but I'm almost positive there is a distinction just by talking with my musician v. non-musician friends.

Some years ago I actually had to stop myself from dissecting parts all the time because I got too involved trying to focus on one instrument rather than enjoy the work as a whole. That's never a problem anymore though.

NAD said:
Some years ago I actually had to stop myself from dissecting parts all the time because I got too involved trying to focus on one instrument rather than enjoy the work as a whole. That's never a problem anymore though.
Good point. I found that after I had transcribed a song by ear, I started liking the song a little less. I stopped doing that, unless I wanted to learn a particular riff or lick within the song. Otherwise, after transcription, it took months before my ears detuned themselves from just listening to the guitar track.

I can't even remember last time I learned a riff/lick/whatever off a CD, I think at this point I appreciate music more for how it sounds than how it's played. Well almost, because I generally hate talentless hacks in any artform. :Spin:

I will say that getting into recording/mixing/producing has DEFINITELY changed the way I listen to music... for better or worse. Of course, with albums I know I'm so used to the production that I don't give a flying frog and can concentrate on the music.

I know what you mean ... I never played an instrument, so I always take in music as a "whole" ... but having gone to film school and done some short films, I do the dissecting part when I watch movies. Sometimes to the point where I do not enjoy the movie because of some minor flaws.

I understand what you mean, and I do agree to some extent, but I try to take in the whole and I'm mostly quite good at it. Songwriting and production and stuff has probably changed me more, or at least faster so I notice it more.

I think just listening to music over a long period of time might make you a 'better' listener. After repeated times listening to the same song I notice shit that I didn't before. And I know that I hear stuff that a lot of people don't hear (chords/chord progessions/ cadences etc) of course I've taken music theory and I do play an instrument. I also take music probably too seriously.

I can't remember what listening to music was like when I didn't play an instrument

I guess I can find little subtleties and pick out various things that most people can't or find harder to notice.

I play bass and guitar but find myself picking out the drums most I think :eek:

I think usually I try and imagine what it would be like to actually play the song on whatever instrument, but I don't think I get really that involved. It depends really. On what, I don't know :loco:

Well, I've been playing guitar for 9 years, piano for 11 and kicked ass at saxophone for a couple years (in junior high band, hahaha)... by hearing, I usually know how easy/tough it is to play something on guitar or keyboards/piano. I usually pick up on that kind of stuff. Especially guitar riffs/solos. I guess I appreciate the difficult stuff more than the easy-as-hell Darkthrone kind of stuff (not that that isn't great too).