What do you people really listen to?

Mazah

Metal Monk
Jun 25, 2003
Here
www.myspace.com
What styles of music?
Are there any people here who listen to just Metal?
Is there a band thats better than any other?
What's the last CD you've bought? (AWG...)
How many of you people play an instrument and what kind of music do you like to play/ your band plays/ would like to play?

I guess it's time to make an off-topic subforum! Like in the Opeth's forum:) :lol:

Mazah said:
What styles of music?
Are there any people here who listen to just Metal?
Is there a band thats better than any other?
What's the last CD you've bought? (AWG...)
How many of you people play an instrument and what kind of music do you like to play/ your band plays/ would like to play?

Styles? I quess just metal and doom metal mainly.
Non-metal bands that I listen to are Alanis Morissette and Apoptygma Berzerk ..now to think quickly. There are others of course.

Hypocrisy is better that anything else.

The latest cd I bought may be Penetralia (Hypocrisy)... I wanted to get it from the German festival I went to.

I don´t really play an instrument. I have played keyboards earlier.
But I´d really like to sing in a metal band :)

Sonm said:
I guess it's time to make an off-topic subforum! Like in the Opeth's forum:) :lol:
Maybe if we had some read on-topic discussion first... :lol: ;)

hmmmmm......I listen to metal, stoner/hard rock, some jazz (but I have no jazz CDs or something!) and because of my friends I sometimes even listen to some punk... (but nothing of the mainstream "punk" shit)

Last CD I bought?! I ordered AWG together with Enslaved's "Below the Lights"...

About playing an instrument...I'm a shitty bass-player...sometimes I jam with some friends (guitarist & drummer), but I wouldn't call it a "band"

And I don't think that there's a band that's better than any other ;) but My Dying Bride somehow have a special place in my heart...I don't listen much to them nowadays, but they're somehow holy to me :p

well... being bored and waiting for the Sleep to come...

I listen to quite much anything... atm if asked 5 CDs what I'd like to listen to most would be Faith No More's Kind For a Day... Fool For A Lifetime, Giant Robots Superweekend, Giant Robots Best Match CDS, Quuen Greatest Hits 2 (playing in my car) and Farmakons A Warm Glimpse...

But then again there are so many good bands/artists I'd like to list, those were the first ones to pop into my mind... Blues rock has a special place in my heart, SRV and Robben Ford especially... Some Jazz, moody jazz... Electronica, Opeths Damnation has been playing in my CD player quite a lot too, that's a beautiful album,some hip-hop is on my playlist too, Metallica... I don't know... Quite much anything...

The last cd I bought (tho it wasn't me who paid :rolleyes: I still owe you, my love...) was Farmakon A Warm Glimpse, no wait it wasn't... it was Giant Robots Best Match CDS... yes... but oh, well...

I play the bass in a finnish heavy rock band called tritonus.

*blergh*

Oh my god. Farmakon has fans right here in Valkeakoski? That's sick.

Umm, well. Me listens to right wing industrial, anarcho-leftist punk, badass oldschool metal, badly produced guitar masturbation, mindfucking experimental whacko-shit, artsy-fartsy avantgarde rock, Haddaway's "What Is Love", satanic & liberal dark ambient, butt-ugly and sloppy-as-hell black metal, eeny weeny j-pop, testicle-rottingly beautiful folk music, wannabe-deep-thinker and individualist rock/pop (well now that overlaps with artsy-fartsy avantgarde rock, I'm so sorry), bad-bad-bad Finnish radio classics, neoclassical (and noise) if it carries a misanthropic message, hippie crap of the 60's, progressive vomit that should only be wanked to by musicians, and many techno/electro bands that I'm too embarassed to name. That sort of shit.

Last albums I bought were Allerseelen (x3) and Turbund Sturmwerk. Farmakon and a couple of Gerard & Ars Nova albums should be on their way now. I'm waiting with my hands in my pants.

And oh, nothing compares to Devil Doll and When. Absolutely nothing.

Horza said:
Oh my god. Farmakon has fans right here in Valkeakoski? That's sick.

Umm, well. Me listens to right wing industrial, anarcho-leftist punk, badass oldschool metal, badly produced guitar masturbation, mindfucking experimental whacko-shit, artsy-fartsy avantgarde rock, Haddaway's "What Is Love", satanic & liberal dark ambient, butt-ugly and sloppy-as-hell black metal, eeny weeny j-pop, testicle-rottingly beautiful folk music, wannabe-deep-thinker and individualist rock/pop (well now that overlaps with artsy-fartsy avantgarde rock, I'm so sorry), bad-bad-bad Finnish radio classics, neoclassical (and noise) if it carries a misanthropic message, hippie crap of the 60's, progressive vomit that should only be wanked to by musicians, and many techno/electro bands that I'm too embarassed to name. That sort of shit.

Last albums I bought were Allerseelen (x3) and Turbund Sturmwerk. Farmakon and a couple of Gerard & Ars Nova albums should be on their way now. I'm waiting with my hands in my pants.

And oh, nothing compares to Devil Doll and When. Absolutely nothing.

You poet you. :)

I listen to all sorts.. I just changed the CD changer in my car today. I now have:

1 - The Cardiacs - Guns
2 - Decendents - Everything Sucks
3 - Bathory - Nordland 1
4 - Dwarves - How To Make Friends And Influence People
5 - Entwine - Gone
6 - Bad Religion - The Grey Race

I listen to a lot of punk (Christ On A Crutch, Crucifix, Anti-System, Discharge, Poison Idea, old Turbonegro, etc) and rock & roll based heavy stuff (like The Devil Dogs, Supersuckers, Dwarves, Action Swingers, New Bomb Turks, The Dirtys, The Gotohells, etc).

Come to think of it, I don't really listen to a lot of metal these days unless it's it's stuff from the label or old-school. The new stuff just doesn't do it for me 95% of the time. It has to be weird, interesting or just plain old epic and enormous for me to take notice.

I'm also a sucker for genuinely heartfelt emo rock stuff, like Sense Field, Benton Falls and some of Keith Caputo's solo material. I guess Radiohead, Muse, dEUS and Kent would come into that catagory too, and it's probably why I like the new Wolverine material so much too.. Emo prog rock! :)

Slayer to me wrote the best metal album ever with "Reign In Blood". That album still gets my blood pumping. Discharge did the same with Punk with "Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing". The best death metal album for me is Autopsy's "Mental Funeral", a twisted, stinky, nasty slab of oderous grime. The way death metal should be.

I play bass and guitar, both badly. I wish I had the patience to improve. My mind throws up these riffs that my fingers just can't follow and it gets very frustrating. Therefore I play music that's as simple as possible in the hope that no one will notice. I have played on albums for bands like Disgust, Extreme Noise Terror, Mussolini Headkick as well as session work for The Revolting Cocks (uncredited, unfortunately). I'm supposed to be doing a band called "Born To Murder The World" with Shane from Napalm Death, Mick from Anaal Nathrakh and Attilla ex Mayhem. So far it's all talk and no action.

Me and my g/f are presently writing some ultra commercial dark-goth-rock songs in the style of HIM under the moniker of "Lugosi". It's a cynical attempt to blend her good looks with my simplistic writing style to hopefully get a label to part with a large sum of cash. We will see. A very big German label is already interested in the idea alone...

What I would like to play is another matter entirely. I have the songs in my head, I just have never had the patience to do anything about it. It's basically epic, grandiose metal on a very large scale, maybe like a cross between Forest Stream, Summoning and Hollenthon, but with a "Candlemass" style vocalist (who I may have found, but have yet to ask..). I have been collecting samples for the last three years, and I now have no job and a working version of Reason. I have no excuse not to get this going, really...

Lee B

I listen all kind of stuff, from metal to lo-fi.
I dont pay for CDs anymore and thats cool:)
I dont play any instrument (just my cock sometimes)
All bands on F is mostly nice: Forest Stream, Farmakon, Faith No M., Falkenbach, Fantomas, Foo Fighters, Katatonia :) Dan Swano :) Opeth :) Amon Amarth :) and Another Life :)

I listen to all kinds of metal but I'm not sure if I like it. The best metal is the versatile kind, with lots of stuff blended in. Then triphop and some moody jazz. I prefer it dark, Badalamenti style. Don't find much of that kinda music though.

Faith No More is everything a person needs in the end, if talking about bands.

I've lately fallen in love with Audioslave, but I might get bored soon. Actually I bought it yesterday, along with Amon Tobin's "Out from Out Where". Tobin is triphop-electronica stuff, nice, but I was actually looking for his first album, which would have been Badalamenti-drum'n'bass. Didn't find. Shite. But it's next on my purchase-list.

Like most of you know I play bass and sing. I also play guitar and an inchy wincy bit of keyboards.

Singing-wise I've been lately trying to learn the high-pitch technique like Jorn Lande and Chris Cornell, and am slowly getting some clue of it. It's more about getting one's physics into it, than anything else, so maybe in half a year I'll get something out of this.

So we have Farmakon. I also secretly dream of becoming the clean vocalist of Ephel Duath but I don't think I'm good enough to even try that. When I get a new computer I'll try to come up with some industral/triphop material. And when I'm good enough musically I'll get myself a moody jazz band. That does noise also.

Thanks. I just suddenly got curious about the musical opennes of Farmakon fans. That's a lot shit to check out when/if SoulSeek starts working ag...um..when i get money to buy new CD:s... :OMG:

I guess i should answer this too, after all i started this shitty thread...

I have no prejudices on styles, i like pretty much everything that just sounds good to my ear. Officially i listen to Metal. :devil:

Some bands/artist i like (not in any particular order other than depending on my bad memory...:
Pain of Salvation, Soilwork, Planet X, Meshuggah, Metallica, Misfits, Symphony X, Megadeth, Pantera, Slipknot, Opeth, all the Chick Corea and Dave Weckl shit, Steve Vai, Aghora, Ark, Arcturus, Frank Zappa, Fantomas, Children of Bodom, Death, Devin Townsend, Jorn Lande, King Crimson, Kind Diamond, Mr. Bungle, Zakk Wylde, Zimmers Hole... (sorry about the half page list, i know nobody has the interest to read that far...)

I play guitar faster than i really can, i wish i had more diversity or something in it.
I'm learning to play drums, i have huge problems with fast double bass grooves and double strokes.
I think that i can play bass (but the truth is i suck...)
And i know the notes on piano but thats pretty much it.

I have a few bands and projects, mostly somekinda metal, a funk band and a little rush tribute is under consideration...

I don't really know yet what i want to play, somekind of beautiful but sick progmetal with "soul" and technique.

Cause i can't remember if i asked anything else i'll just end here before i embarrase myself any worse.