Disillusion's "Back to Times of Splendor", just how wide reaching is this album?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I completely missed this release back in 2004, having only heard it for the first time maybe 6 months ago. On first listen, I knew it was something pretty special and now I'd say it's one of the greatest releases of this decade.

Now when browsing around the intraweb, I find that *lots* of people tend to share this opinion. And even more interestingly, the acclaim comes from all corners of the metal underwurlde, whether it be fans of death/black through to prog/power. Am I right?

I don't remember a release getting this much unanimous love and attention!!

It came out in 2004, on a pretty major label, Metal Blade. I don't remember seeing any publicity for it, I don't even remember seeing it in reviews. Maybe I fell into a coma and didn't know it. :loco: But how is it so widely well-known? Is this all a result of forum banter, people telling other people to check it out in general chit chat conversations?

Who here hasn't heard it?!!

I definitely agree with you. I hadn't heard of it in 2004, but when I found it in 2005, I was so blown away with the variety and the level of musicianship on the album. It had basically everything I was looking for. It had the heavy death elements, and then it'd go into these epic prog passages. It had it all.

too bad Disillusion couldn't release a proper followup :erk:

I like the album quite a bit and I don't know how much felliating we can do over it though.

Not to make this about their new album, but I'm glad they went into a direction. The new album has some good song writing and some really good song and atmosphere, but a few tracks just plain suck. I'd rather have a band change styles than to keep playing a watered down version of their first album over and over. I know there are a ton of people who enjoy the new Disillusion and I'm sure Vortex does because his musicianship is grand, but I don't think he could have followed up to Back to the Times of Splendor, just like how Fleshcrawl put out a phenomenal Descend into the Absurd, then put out a ton of mediocre albums.

9 reviews on metal archives average the score out to 94%

I'm not saying this means anything other than it's more well known than I thought.

Can I ask, for those who have heard it, how did you find out about it? Do you remember?

I've been into Disillusion since the "Porter" EP (I think I stumbled upon them on mp3.com before it went gaysexual). Back To The Times of Splendor is an amazing album, I can truly recommend to almost anyone into metal because it has so many different elements that I think it has something that everyone, except for maybe the most kvlt, would enjoy.

Now Gloria on the other hand...
Maybe it was part that I was really looking forward to see how their sound on the debut would evolve for the new album, and part the fact that its one of the most terrible albums I've ever heard, but I cannot stand Gloria. Its amazingly terrible, and I was truly disappointed, nay, outraged when I first gave it a full listen through. Don't even waste your bandwidth dloading this album

That said, I just want to reiterate that Back To The Times of Splendor is worth everyone's money so stop reading this post and buy it.

It was part of the last order of CDs I ever made, 10/19/2004. I recall perhaps Jim Raggi mentioning it first, and while I got the impression it was quite good, "epic melodic prog death metal" wasn't something I was really in the market for, since I already had way too much Opeth. But at some point I must have seen it for download and I checked it out.

I have the feeling that it was one of those "marketed only in Europe" things, and probably not even too much there. I saw them headline a show in Germany a few months ago (w/ Dark Suns) and there were probably less than 100 people there. The year previous I saw them at ProgPower Europe where they were the first band playing. So even in Europe, it seems like there's been very little marketing. And of course giving Metal Blade an unmarketable album like 'Gloria' probably did nothing to inspire them to finally open their wallets for the band!

Interestingly, it wasn't until after ProgPower Europe that I completely fell in love with the album. Before that, I thought it was pretty darn good, but it was seeing Vurtox's presence and attitude and dancing that really sealed it for me. I listened to it constantly after that, and it was my 3rd-most-listened-to album in 2005.

And I think it was my exposure to the live version of Disillusion that gave me some preparation for 'Gloria'. While it was still a complete shock to me, I totally loved that shock. It became my second-most-listened-to album of 2006, even though it was only released in October (and it's probably leading the pack for 2007 too).

I honestly think that I might like it even more than 'BTToS'. I would say that 'objectively', they're both of an equal quality, but the complete uniqueness of 'Gloria' gives it a couple extra points to push it over the top.

I suggest that anyone who isn't really traditionally-minded should give the album more time, because the investment could really pay off. Of course you'll want to completely forget that it's from the same band that did 'BTToS', but if you can't do that, at least start at the end and listen to it backwards, because the 2nd-to-last song ("Too Many Broken Cease Fires") is one that could have been on 'BTToS'.

I can't wait to see where this band goes next, because if they can do two very different styles so brilliantly, it almost seems like they could do anything. I just hope they're able to scrape together enough money to continue making music!

Neil

Who the fuck is Disillusion?

three-neuron-kings.jpg
the-porter.jpg
Disillusion-BackToTimesOfSplendor.jpg
disillusiongloria.jpg

From librariusmetallicus:

Another one of those unclassifiable bands that you never get to describe properly with just words! Formed all the way back in 1994 in Lepizig, Germany by Tobias Spier, Alex Motz, Markus Espenhain, Jan Stölzel and Andy Schmidt, who was the only one from the first bunch that stayed in the band, it remained an unfinished project until 2001, when Barthel and Maluschka joined in. Musically, they have taken such opposing styles as black, death, hardcore, power, progressive and melodic metal, mixed them with ambient and a touch of electronica and somehow made it work. The closest reference I can give you (and it's not even that close) for their first album is the latest work of bands like Dimmu Borgir, mixed with a bit of Meshuggah and Cynic. The second album is even more extreme than the first, and less epic at the same time. This is something that's not for everyone and it will take a few listens to grow on you but, in the end, I think it's worth it.

Very good album, but I don't rate this quite as high as you do, JK. I picked this up in 04, and if I'm not mistaken, I think I tried to turn some people around here onto it, with little success. The only thing that kinda bugs me about their sound is that the vocals--overall a strength--sometimes wander into melodramatic territories. I'm sort of in the middle on what seems to the a love it or hate it follow up, Gloria. I don't hear brilliance, but it's far from total crap.

Ok here lies the truth:

"Back To Times of Splendor" is a really great album with awesome riffing and smart composing tricks. But....

"Gloria" is simply one of the most amazing pieces of music i heard in the recent years. I can't stop listening to it. Every single idea on it is spectacular, the songs are truly progressive in every aspect of them, and just PERFECT. I can only compare the importance of this genious piece of work with "Electric Scum" by Depressive Age (an obvious influence, as the early Depressive Age albums are an obvious influence to BTTOS) and, if i have to be really bold, to what Queensryche did with "Rage For Order". Maybe too early to pass such judgment but i haven't been that impressed with a new album for a long long time.