Dissapointed by Enslaved's "Below the Lights"

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
I recently bought Below the Lights, my first Enslaved purchase, and was a bit dissapointed by it. The first 2 songs were great, especially the 2nd, but the others were just kinda... boring and mehish.

Should I bother giving enslaved another chance? Does anyone else feel the same way I do about Below the Lights? Will I perhaps enjoy another album more? If so what one?

I generally like to buy albums in which I like AT THE VERY LEAST 80% of the songs.

Dang it... bought the wrong album :(.

Btw I should specify that I don't really enjoy the ultra-repetitive kind of BM (like some of Burzum's material for instance... Hvis Lyset Tar Oss's title track as an example)... if early Enslaved is like this, I think I'll skip out... is it?

I loved below the lights, and their new album, Isa, but theyre much different than their earlier works. There's really no Enslaved album i dislike besides possibly mardraum.

different strokes i spose. i personally think below the lights is nothing short of genius. i just wish isa was at the same level as it

but if you want more somthing different, definatly go with older enslaved. eld, vikingligr veldi, and frost have a more viking and old school feel to it. more "epic" i guess you could say.

enslaved are one of those bands that can do a number of different things and do it flawlessly. whether you like one facet over another is entirely different hehe
~gR~

Didn't like Below the Lights too much, but I thought Monumension was very good.

But yeah, go with Eld, Frost, and Vikingligr Veldi.

The only one that might fall into "ultra repetitive BM" is VV, but that's a stretch, and besides it's a really good album. Eld is probably your best bet for a starting point.

Just to clear up what I mean by ultra repetitive is the title track on "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"

I thought BTL was great....but I think Enslaved are a brilliant band all around. Frost is an amazing album and a good starting spot. After that just get em all in order to witness the progression they have made. They are one visionary band that must be heard!!!

WNxScythe said:
Just to clear up what I mean by ultra repetitive is the title track on "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"

The music on Vikingligr Veldi is not quite as repetetive as said track. On one hand, it's not very minimalistic at all. On the other hand, it doesn't have 10-15 riffs per song. Each song is very well composed, utilizing a couple of main ideas or riffs to establish coherency while a few other ideas or variations on the main themes are usually presented throughout the song. It's really a very good album and I highly reccomend it.

New Enslaved is superficially "artsy", if you want to use that lame term. Pentatonic rock & roll riffs + weird sound fx + fragmentary and confused utilization of past black metal aesthetic = not so "artsy" in my book.