Dissapointed by Enslaved's "Below the Lights"

Guardian of Darkness said:
The stuff I mentioned is infinitely more 'artsy' than the crap Enslaved are releasing these days.

Hang on, you seemed to like Below The Lights just last year. In fact, you recommended it to me... :err:
I bet you fucking HATE My Arms, Your Hearse now too! :tickled:
The one problem I have with early Enslaved, and a lot of other BM bands, is just the shitty thin guitar sound. Newer stuff, and stuff like Darkthrone seems to be better in that respect.

Vikingligr Veldi is BY FAR their best. Frost, Eld, Yggdrasill (demo, can be found on the split with Satyricon) and Hordanes Land are jaw-droppingly good too. Blodhemn and Mardraum do have their moments, so do Monumension, although some of the progressive elements in the latter aren't my cup of tea at all. Below The Lights is pretty bad, but Isa surprisingly enough sounded good to my ears.

Stormwatch said:
Hang on, you seemed to like Below The Lights just last year. In fact, you recommended it to me... :err:
The one problem I have with early Enslaved, and a lot of other BM bands, is just the shitty thin guitar sound. Newer stuff, and stuff like Darkthrone seems to be better in that respect.

GoD flip flops more than a washington politician. I've searched threads from 1-2 years ago where he praises an album. Then I think to myself (Shit didn't he just bash that one last week?) I can understand an album you onced love not lasting the test of time. But when you go from praise to bashing...it makes me wonder.

Hehe, I've had that happened with a few albums, but none of them metal, just all the nu-metal garbage I used to listen to and Killswitch Engage.

Stormwatch said:

Not last year, surely. Mid-2003, quite possibly. But hey, 2003 = gayness =
All of these albums are classics that you MUST own:
Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River
Anathema - Judgement
Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette
Enslaved - Below The Lights
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk
Zyklon - World Ov Worms
October Tide - Grey Dawn
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Atlas Shrugged said:
GoD flip flops more than a washington politician. I've searched threads from 1-2 years ago where he praises an album. Then I think to myself (Shit didn't he just bash that one last week?) I can understand an album you onced love not lasting the test of time. But when you go from praise to bashing...it makes me wonder.

My tastes changed quite radically with the introduction of Burzum and a general maturity in mindset.

Hey Guardian I'm just curious but how old are you? In one thread you mentioned your father was 40something... so you can't be much older than me (I'm 16)...

All of these albums are classics that you MUST own:
Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Enslaved - Below The Lights
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Oh my. Yes, I can see that the maturity has set in a little, at least...

There was no need to cut that list down.

Some of the things on the list I didn't know, and some of it I enjoy, even today at the age of 29. So I singled out the releases that most symbolized a metal head just starting out.