Distorted bass guitar...

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey,

a distorted bass sound is one of the most difficult things I experience when mixing. Tried so many ways to achive this, but I couldn't find a nice one yet.

I get th best sounding distortion bass by splitting up frequencies in highs and lows, and just sending the highs into a tube screamer or high gain bass amp. But.. nope, I'm not satisfied! ;D
Do you guys have any hints about that?

When you guys send the distorted track + di track to a group, are you using another comp on that group to glue both channels together?

So I don't want to start a new thread about this, so sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.

I tried the Mokafix BassRider demo and loved it. Great for pre-pro and demo work without having to dig out the studio's SansAmp pedal. I go to buy the plugin, and it appears the Mokafix site is down, with only the crippled demo version available.

Are there any alternatives to this plugin? The SansAmp PSA-1 plugin that comes with PT8LE doesn't really do it for me. Sure, the plug in isn't a necessity, it's a convenience, but if anyone knows of anything I should check out, let me know!

Copy the basstrack. Low- Cut one at 100 hz and the other high-cut at 100Hz. Compress both and send them on a group. Put distortion on the high sounding track. You'll get a bass you can control! Be carefull with distortion, allways check with guitars...

I reamp the frequencies above 400hz and then usually cut a bunch of the wierd upper frequencies out and if you solo the track it usually sounds a bid odd, but it stands out against the guitars in a good way.

I'd post clips, but I don't got non at the moment.

distorted bass is indeed a motherfucker.

I kind of want to snag a rat because of how many times I've heard it thrown out as a suggestion for dirty bass. I hate the sansamp as anything other than a DI (and even then I'm of the opinion that there is better), thing blows for dirt (IMO).

I know this is an ancient thread, but it's my mindset that's it's better to resurrect an old thread rather than make a new one talking about the same topic.

Anyway, bass processing is one of the things I've had the most trouble with, along with vocals. I have a few questions that I haven't really seen answered, for instance - with the clean bass DI - this is just compressed/ limited and eq for low end only? This isn't run through a "clean" bass setup in say Ampex SVX?

With the distorted track, is everyone mostly still running it through a guitar amp or sim? When you're doing this, is it just the distorted signal or are you running it through a cab or IR?

Thanks in advance guys