Distorted bass guitar...

yes. i have some of recabinet 8x10 IR's, and there's also some free ampeg cab IR's floating around the webz somewhere that are pretty decent

OK, so impulses on the dist track, but what about the clean track? Is that run through a clean amp setup or is it just compressed , limited, eq'd? Thanks!

I like to run the compressed/clean/low through a nice warm ampsim or bass set up when possible...

Then the high end through something gritty... I still like the Mokafix NoAmp (sansamp model) but it depends what bass sound you want... could try some of the ampsims... or hi-gain preamps... just make sure you've got the hi-pass right...

I like to run the compressed/clean/low through a nice warm ampsim or bass set up when possible...

Then the high end through something gritty... I still like the Mokafix NoAmp (sansamp model) but it depends what bass sound you want... could try some of the ampsims... or hi-gain preamps... just make sure you've got the hi-pass right...

I usually run the clean DI through a bass sim/ cab sim for girth and warmth along with the processing.

The dirty one now usually runs through my Sansamp PSA1 or through the numerous distortion plugins I use :)

Ok guys I need some help here, I'm absolutely terrible at getting a good bass tone. Here is the bass I have ATM using the duplicated/ eqd signal method everyone here is using, in a mix and solo'd. Something is definitely wrong here...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Sneap Forum Mix help/Shitty bass 6 11 2012.mp3

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Sneap Forum Mix help/Shitty bass in mix 6 11 2012.mp3

That's using Ampeg SVT with a clean setting for the clean DI, and solo C with bass cab IRs for the distorted track... I'm really confused as to whether to use the crunch or overdrive channel, as well as how much distortion to use...

That is just way too much distortion. Use a crunch setting for the processed/distorted bass track, not a high gain metal guitar setting. Distorting the bass is only to bring it up/highlight it in a mix, not to make it blend with the guitar (of course you can also do that if you want, but you need to set the high-pass filter higher). You can also try to experiment with the high pass filter, use a filter before distortion and after, or just before, maybe also use a low-pass filter at about 10-12k. You can really experiment a lot of stuff on bass.
Also, i don't really like the clean sound on your bass, but that's just me. You could try using TSE's B.O.D. (clone of sansamp di) for the clean part.
All in all, it's your decision, so just use your ears to know when something sounds good.

That is just way too much distortion. Use a crunch setting for the processed/distorted bass track, not a high gain metal guitar setting. Distorting the bass is only to bring it up/highlight it in a mix, not to make it blend with the guitar (of course you can also do that if you want, but you need to set the high-pass filter higher). You can also try to experiment with the high pass filter, use a filter before distortion and after, or just before, maybe also use a low-pass filter at about 10-12k. You can really experiment a lot of stuff on bass.
Also, i don't really like the clean sound on your bass, but that's just me. You could try using TSE's B.O.D. (clone of sansamp di) for the clean part.
All in all, it's your decision, so just use your ears to know when something sounds good.

Thanks dude, I'll try that. I think I put the distortion so high because in Ola's vid he seemed to use like maximum gain, but yeah it definitely doesn't sound right in this mix. I'll try and bounce another version with a crunch setting later

I have both the clean and distorted bass tracked eqd like this

Clean/DI track -comp/limiter, HP @ 60Hz, LP @ 200Hz.

Distorted track - comp/limiter, HP @ 200Hz, LP @ 7kHz.

Then just trying to get them to blend right...

I do the usual 3 tracks (or how ever many I need) for metal consisting of:
1. Solid, unmoving lows. Low passed around 200-300
2. "Grit", the main body, mild compression, let dynamics exist here.
3. All out distortion with whatever amp sim, tube screamer and/or distortion pedal, SansAmp, whatever. Just make it over the top distortion and high pass up to 500-700 and low pass as far as 3-4k. Then I do small boost somewhere between 1-2k cause that's where the goods in this track come from on my end.

I do the usual 3 tracks (or how ever many I need) for metal consisting of:
1. Solid, unmoving lows. Low passed around 200-300
2. "Grit", the main body, mild compression, let dynamics exist here.
3. All out distortion with whatever amp sim, tube screamer and/or distortion pedal, SansAmp, whatever. Just make it over the top distortion and high pass up to 500-700 and low pass as far as 3-4k. Then I do small boost somewhere between 1-2k cause that's where the goods in this track come from on my end.

Kind of confused on this - what do you do to make the "grit"? Where do you hp/lp this? Do you keep the all out distortion fairly low? Do you have an mp3 you can show me using this method?

Kind of confused on this - what do you do to make the "grit"? Where do you hp/lp this? Do you keep the all out distortion fairly low? Do you have an mp3 you can show me using this method?
Basically MY "grit" is usually just TSE BOD > Ampeg SVX > whatever compressiong/eq it needs. Basically it's a clean(er) track that's providing the body for the tone. I put a HP at the end of this track anywhere from 200-500, as long as it doesn't interfere with the lows on the sub track.

I bus all 3 of these tracks to one track, set levels between the 3 so I think it sounds good (my distortion track is usually really present. :D some like it subtle), then process the main bus to make them all work together as one cohesive unit via staged compression, eq, limiting, ect.

Here's a couple tracks I got of UM doing this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3689406/Stick Stickly Forum - MIX 2 2.mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3689406/COGNTIVE - 3.mp3