District 9

My only question: Did it remind you of Cloverfield in style/feel?

I am so fucking psyched for this movie, but I'm just afraid it'll be a "ALIENS ARE BAD AND WANT NOTHING MORE TO KILL US, SO HUMANITY MUST RALLY AND LAY WASTE TO THE INVADERS" movie; Independence Day was the last good movie to be able to use that formula IMO, now I'm pretty sick of it!

SORRY???? :zombie: :lol:

Öwen;8481924 said:
SORRY???? :zombie: :lol:

Hahaha, I liked ID4, cuz it didn't seem like it took itself too seriously, had a great cast and some decently clever writing, and it was fun getting caught up in the whole "fighting against disgusting loathesome slimey tentacle things who traveled all this way just to kill us" thing, in a kind of superficial way. Like I said, though, that gives me all the fix of that kind of base storytelling I need!

Phew, then il just wait for the dvd and fastforward that part! :lol:

At least the camera wasn't all shaky like in Cloverfield. :loco:

I have slightly mixed feelings about the movie. There were some aspect of the film I didn't really care for, but I felt that the story was unique. It wasn't a "bad aliens come to take over the world" type movie, which made it different. (Thankfully) I don't want to say too much, for fear of ruining it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

If you do plan to see it, I'd recommend you DON'T read up on the plot or anything and just let the story unfold for you in the movie. You'll get more out of it that way.

Sorry for bumping, but I just saw this movie recently and wanted to know how the non-South Africans found the humor. Or if it you found it funny at all lol

The movie was flooded with SA slang and I thought it would be hard for some to follow?

I thought the movie was great but I was waiting for the Three year thing to happen (don't want to spoil it if anyone hasn't seen it)

Saw the midnight showing a while back, fucking hated it, and I was high!

It just seemed to drag on forever with no real direction.. Made me lose interest in the poorly written plot very easily

53Crëw;8482303 said:
If you do plan to see it, I'd recommend you DON'T read up on the plot or anything and just let the story unfold for you in the movie. You'll get more out of it that way.

This!

Just saw it and very much enjoyed this movie. Started off slow but I eventually found myself cheering for the good guys. ;) I expected a completely different type of movie.

Sorry for bumping, but I just saw this movie recently and wanted to know how the non-South Africans found the humor. Or if it you found it funny at all lol

The movie was flooded with SA slang and I thought it would be hard for some to follow?

I thought the movie was great but I was waiting for the Three year thing to happen (don't want to spoil it if anyone hasn't seen it)

I followed the movie fine and found alot of ironic things in it funny. I really don't know any South African slang so it quit possible I missed the full meaning of some of the lines, but I didn't notice it enough to distract me from the movie.

I really don't know any South African slang so it quit possible I missed the full meaning of some of the lines, but I didn't notice it enough to distract me from the movie.

i am german and i did understand everything.
i missed only a few words during the action scenes,
because i didn't understand the words acoustically :)

Great movie, it did start off really slowly and I was regretting coming to watch a 2 hour documentary but then it got awesome :D

I was born in SA, only slang I can remember was 'totsiens' (sp?) which I think means goodbye. That and 'fook' which was said about 200 times.

I heard 90% of the dialogue was improv. Which is both impressive and explains why there were so many 'fook's.