distro review thread

What country you are from: US

Relapse (SKINLESS/NECROPHAGIST tour)
Selection: Extremely wide array of all kinds of metal, plus some indie, rock, jazz, maybe even hip hop if I'm not mistaken
Orders: How many times you've ordered from them: 3
Shipping: 1 week to a month. Considering their HQ is only 3 hours from me, that doesn't bode well for anyone else. However, these were fairly small orders, and anything over $40 is automatically upgraded to UPS instead of the post office, and people in parts of Scandinavia have spoke highly to me of the turnaround time with overseas orders.
Secure: Yes. Paypal, Credit Cards, Snail Mail, all that jazz can be used.
Additional comments: This distro has both pros and cons. The good news is that the selection is practically unbeatable in terms of selection and diversity, so you can purchase titles from a lot of different styles and genres all in one place, which is sometimes worth it even at an extra couple of bucks per CD. The downside is that the website's selection can be deceiving. Even though the selection IS quite good, there's a lot listed on the site that is out of stock (while it clearly states this for some titles, for others it does not), and unless it's something they're more likely to keep on hand, like Relapse albums, it's somewhat advisable to call and find out if the items you want are available. Personally, I don't use Relapse much for this reason since I can usually find what I need elsewhere for cheaper, but the few times I did order online with them I had no problems.

best distro I've ever done business with. thumbs up :kickass:

are we allowed to do our own reviews of distros that have already been mentioned?

Name: Mortville Records http://www.hagamoto.com/mortville
Selection: mostly Grind, Noise and other weird shit
Orders: 6 times, though I can't quite remember
Shipping: anywhere from 4 days to 1 week
Secure: yes
Prices: usually $3 per item
Comments: good distro, very reliable, however my most recent order didn't arrive till today and I ordered a week ago.

Some of the ones I've used

Comatose Music
Selection: Lots of Brutal Death and Death metal, with some Black and Grind
Cost: $10 per CD and 1 free if you buy 4. Very cheap.
Payment Methods: Paypal (shopping cart), Cash
Shipment Time: 1 week or less
Comments: My favorite. VERY cheap and a good selection. The guy who runs it is the guitarist in Lust of Decay and is a cool guy.

Unmatched Brutality Records
Selection: Pretty much exclusively Brutal Death and Goregrind
Shipment time: 1 week
Payment Method: Paypal
Cost: $10-$12 dollars
Comments: Fairly cheap and fast.

I know it is not a distro but I engoy Itunes now. Granted they do not have tons of underground death metal stuff that I like but the bigger bands they do have. I also like Metaltracks.com for earache records stuff. I don't really care if I have the CD in my hands as long as I can buy the CD online and download it in 5 minutes and listen to it now that is the best!!!

I used to have a distro (Bloodsoaked Records) anyone remember that?

Listen to all 8 Bloodsoaked (death metal) songs here:
SoundClick MP3: Bloodsoaked - Death Metal from North Carolina.

Peter

Dan's Crypt Records (Dan's Crypt Records)
Selection: Mainly death metal and grind CDs, some black metal CDs. Some shirts and hats. Average amount of music available.
Orders: 3 (CDs)
Shipping: About a week to Finland.
Secure: Orders via e-mail.
Payment Methods: Paypal, cash (Euros and US$), international money order (Europe and Japan only), postal money order (Spain only), bank transform.
Cost: CDs cost +- 8 Euros to Europe, +- 10 US$ to USA and rest of the world.

Additional comments: I've always sent WELL-HIDDEN (put it into a CD jewelcase, heh) cash to Dan, and he's always got it. Guy seems to be very reliable. Well-packaged every time, no broken jewelcases (also sends without if wanted). I've never had any problems with Dan's Crypt. Great!

The Ajna Offensive
Selection: Mostly black metal (with direct ties to Norma Evangelium Diaboli), but also ambient and literature for occult and spiritual works
Orders: 5
Shipping: Usually a week maybe a little more, but I do live on the other side of the country.
Secure: Paypal or money orders
Additional comments: Overall a great mailorder. I would like to see a little communication from them, at least in terms of order being shipped, but I haven't had a problem with out of stock items. Also, prices are usually the best for the NED releases, not to mention the awesome packaging for the albums.

Mercenary Musik http://www.mercenarymusik.com/
Selection: Predominantly Black Metal (official and exclusive distributor of Cold Dimensions releases within all American Continents), select vinyl and tapes
Orders: 2
Shipping: 2-5 days
Secure: Paypal ($1 fee added to each item) or Money Orders
Additional Comments: Email first to check availability of items. The communication is very good. Last purchase for me came within 2 days and I live on the opposite side of the country.

I find some of the used/new traders on Amazon are very good, cheaper and more reliable than Amazon itself, plus you are more likely to find OOP stuff. Just check the recent reviews to ensure they are reliable.

I don't use The End anymore, I sent them a large order which they lost, and didn't follow up when I contacted them about it.

I agree. It is an important thread with good info. I'll sticky it. If Dodens or V5 disagree, they're free to take it down (we don't want too many sticky threads)

www.theendrecords.com

country - usa
selection - specializing in all types of metal from all genres. huge selection, consistantly restocking.
payment: paypal, credit/debitcard/money order
shipping: usa and worldwide. usa items are free shipping, last i checked.
secure: yes
comments: everyone knows about this distro. they have a great selection and good, fast service. there have only been two albums i have been unable to find from this distro, although im sure many of you have had harder luck with very, very obsecure albums. delivery takes one week on average. highly recommended.
Glad you've had success with this distro. Everywhere I go on-line this site is praised. I disagree. Their slow, tedious and frankly, a pain in the ass. Yes, they do have a good selection, but they DO NOT restock in a timely way. Hell, their own employes don't know what's in stock or not. Navigating through this site is an excercise in tedium. Way, way overrated.

Downloading :p ...I've been using the Internet to purchase music all the time of late since I now use Paypal (quite often, I may add). I do own over 240 or so CDs and a bunch of tapes and even a few records...pretty decent for a minimum wage newly-college-student I suppose. I love buying music...it's almost an addiction now, haha.

Here's one:

Comatose Music
Selection: Main distro carries mainly brutal/slam death, but the used/discount section offers crazy deals on random shit that rules...Wayd? Phantasmagory?? W...T...F?!! Kickass.
Orders: 2...but Nick/CC has ordered from 'em too and been satisfied.
Shipping: 3-7 days. Overall pretty fast.
Secure: Only used Paypal with 'em and it's very efficient. Not much else to add here.
Additional comments: This distro, quite simply, fucking rules.