DJing Katatonia tonight :)

VampiricYouth

Jul 15, 2005
Well, I begged and begged our local (and only Goth club) to please hold a Metal evening instead of the normal EBM/Death-Rock/Goth-Rock they normally play and so a special Gothic Metal party was organized with me making my debut as a DJ...I played 24 tracks and slipped in: Distrust, Evidence, Deadhouse and Endtime. The crowds loved it, those are honestly the best songs to use to interact with the crowds. None of the stuff I played had ever been heard before by those who frequent the club, and there were so many new people there, the place was packed. THe busiest I've ever seen it, the owner told me that the night was so well received that every first friday of the month will be Metal evening...Looks like I have my first job :)

God, I can't explain how exhilirating it was playing Deadhouse, shutting off all the lights during the Whale part and then switching each strobe on with each drum hit before the song leaps back into the chorus.

With Evidence I had the Red-light kind of increase in brightness with the swells of each note during the Pre-I'm The Evidence part.

I had to cut out most of the intro to Endtime (a shame, because I love it!) and brought it in on the "For some people, isolation..." part...

Unbelievable to see a crowd full of people swaying to that melancholic guitar and then unexepectedly, Mikael's 3 roars...That set people off...And god, the double bass at the last part!! :headbang: :headbang:

I don't even know why I'm babbeling about this, but a lot of my tracks were hit and miss, if it weren't for Katatonia and I probably would have failed miserably!

ya know....I have had opportunities to play Katatonia for small numbers of people who otherwise would never hear Katatonia and they are always well recieved....I can imagine how cool it would be to play it for lots of people......thats really cool.....keep spreading the word!!!

Reece

Great! it´s so difficult to find clubs where you can listen to good music..even in the metal genre..they usually play bands I really don´t like!
I remember they put some Katatonia (for my demons) after a couple of gigs I saw in a club in Italy and I was soooo happy to share my fave music with so many other people!It´s a great feeling!

Sorry for my ignorance, but how is it with royalties when you play in a public place some songs of a band? Does the label/band earn something from this???

ether said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but how is it with royalties when you play in a public place some songs of a band? Does the label/band earn something from this???

Of course not. Every dj would be completely broke otherwise.

requiem said:
Of course not. Every dj would be completely broke otherwise.

yes I know that the dj doesn´t pay, but I was wondering if the club has to pay something .well I don´t know in English, but in Italy it is called SIAE and it´s a kind of trade union for artists...it means that if you are registered someone has to pay royalties to you if your music is played in public places...the same if your song is played at the radio, etc...

@VampiricYouth: That sounds really great =)

@ether: Yeah, I know what you mean, here in Germany it's called GEMA ... and I'm sure that the clubs have to pay a constant fee to this organisation... even restaurants have to pay this...
...but I heard something that this fee is regulated by the amount of people... so if you're playing something on a really huge event you have to pay more than in you club in which maybe only 100 people can take place...