Do any bands have lots of different sounds on one album?

SouthernTrendkill

Super Normie
Aug 22, 2007
There are plenty of bands that MIX styles. You've got black-death, prog-doom, thrash/death/grindcore, but that's blending the styles together. Are there bands that play a bunch of different styles on one album?

Like is there an album that starts with a melodic death metal track, and then does a thash track, then a progressive doom track, then a power metal track, then a metalcore track, then a brutal death metal track, then a symphonic black metal track, or anything like that?

Like, on a Led Zeppelin album you'll have a hard rock track then a folk track then a blues track then a roots rock track. What are the most diverse metal equivalents to that? Prefferably on studio albums rather than compilations of live albums.

Thank you sooooo much!

All their albums follow the same formula, though. The latter two obviously being more commercial sounding.

The band COMMUNIC I would recommend in general.They do have some cool variation to them.They are 1- of the finest metal bands i've ever heard...fairly new & now finishing up thier 3rd. release ( myspace has some new studio clips).
They are mainly thrash metal w/touches of clean prog metal.Thier songs definitely have some meaning to them & can make you think as they flat out hammer you!3 pc. band w/ the guitarist handling the vocals as well.He is not a flashy player just very solid rhythm & an amazing / beautiful voice & the drummer is just sick!

Thanks so much everybody!

All of these bands are awesome. I've checked 'em all out and so far Cephalic Carnage and Nokturnal Mortum seem like the best bets, but I might end up getting stuff from all of 'em.

They play a mix of power metal, melodic death metal and thrash. I figured that would be something worthy to check out. At least their older albums, anyway.

They play a mix of power metal, melodic death metal and thrash. I figured that would be something worthy to check out. At least their older albums, anyway.

Sounds right up my alley. I think I will check this out. Do they mix all of those together in one song, or have separate songs in separate styles?

Not really bands I'm gonna list but anyways...

soloists like Michael Angelo Batio, Marty Friedman, and Steve Vai tend to have some different sounds in each of their albums. (not all though)