Do Opeth have satanic undertones in their lyrics ?

Pretty much all of them do. My Arms, Your Hearse is essentially a recorded satanic ritual played backwards.

Birkenau said:
Pretty much all of them do. My Arms, Your Hearse is essentially a recorded satanic ritual played backwards.

hello fellow australian

Are you serious ? So they are black metal as well as death/prog metal

affinityband said:
Because there has been a bucket load of these threads since ghost reveries was released. All that happens is religious conflict. Its silly. we have enough bitching on the board. This makes it way worse.

Hello my fellow opeth freind

Did i ever say it was horrible opeth music for ghost of reveries to be satan's music gift to earth ?

Opeth are covering death/black/prog metal WOW

No no, that isnt what i mean. We have had many, many discussions about this before and it always ends in massive arguments. Plus Birkenau was just shittin you. Also you could just check on the official site yourself.

Hmmm.

Well they're prog metal aren't they? Elements of Prog rock, Death and Black Metal.

So far as i know there's no real stipulation that says that Prog or Death Metal has any particular affiliation to any God/Jinn/spirit/deity etc or takes any direct opposition against the idea of one.

However certain occult and therefore Satanic, themes and an atmosphere have dogged metal and rock since the days of Led Zeppelin.

Black Metal's a different story isn't it? The very birth of Black Metal from Venoms' album "Black Metal" (1982) was centered around the Satanic theme.

Bands like Mayhem, Emperor and Bathory rather than taking side with Lucifer chose simple to take sides against God and the Judeo Christian religion of Norway.

So sure yes, Opeth name Satan in their lyrics, so what? Would you call them a Satanic band? No.

Best band in the world? FUCK YEA.

OpethWalrus said:
Hello my fellow opeth freind

Did i ever say it was horrible opeth music for ghost of reveries to be satan's music gift to earth ?

Opeth are covering death/black/prog metal WOW

So... you're pretty dumb.

Birkenau said:

I played that part at the begining from DotF, and it sounds like mike growling over someone starting his motorbike. Satanic, yes...

Even if they were Satanic, that doesn't make them black metal. Just like if Led Zeppelin were Satanic, that wouldn't make them black metal.