satanic references

musicnerd

Oct 19, 2004
I know that Opeth is not one of those satanic death metal bands (one of the many reason I like their music). Then why is it that Mikael sometimes makes satanic references at their concerts? Is it just used as a gimmick to get the fans all riled up? Any thoughts on this?

I think he sold his soul to the devil and that's how he got that awesome voice and and the guitar skillzzzzzz*. Now the devil wants payment and Mike is trying to get more souls by summoning the forces of evil into the concerts.

*notice the z's and how they make skills look even cooler because it's not just a normal "S" but a "Z" it is SO COOL!!!!

Yeah, I thought it was "tongue-in-cheek"..since I've never seen them in concert, I just wanted a little feed back.

NO! I wasn't dropped. I realize that there are plenty of death metal bands you are in to the satanic thing. But I know the Opeth aren't into that stuff, so I thought it was a little strange they say those things at concerts, unless its meant as a joke. Which appears to be the case.

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that opeth is not a satanic band. it's all a joke...one of the shows i saw he dedicated the tour to "our lord satan"...it was fun

yeah, I figured it was a joke...just wanted to hear from other people who have seen them live...thats all.

LOL :headbang:

Why don't you ask Mike?, I think he will post here some other day...

\m/
Luz.-

nataservant said:
I think he sold his soul to the devil and that's how he got that awesome voice and and the guitar skillzzzzzz*. Now the devil wants payment and Mike is trying to get more souls by summoning the forces of evil into the concerts.

*notice the z's and how they make skills look even cooler because it's not just a normal "S" but a "Z" it is SO COOL!!!!

This is for Musicnerd.
I hope this clarify your doubts about the Satanic References you said before. Here's an explanation made it for Mikael. And for those who wanted to know what the fuck is that bridge on Morningrise... (maybe you don't give a fuck about it, but it's good to know LOL)

\m/
Luz.-

MU: 'My Arms, Your Hearse' is quite the bizarre name for an album. What exactly does that mean?

MÅ: A lot of people asked me that when the album came out. I took it. I steal all the album titles from other bands. 'My Arms, Your Hearse' was taken from this band called Comus. They released two albums, I think, and this is taken from their first album called 'First Utterance'. It's taken from a lyric line of theirs and the entire lyric line is: "As I carry you to your grave, my arms, your hearse." That pretty much explains everything.

MU: Was that a concept album?

MÅ: Oh yeah.

MU: What other albums of yours were concept albums? Were they all?

MÅ: Not all of them. 'My Arms, Your Hearse' and the album after that, 'Still Life'. The first two were just individual stories if you will - pretty much rambling on about stuff I didn't understand myself.

MU: Would you summarize the basic concepts for each one?

MÅ: For 'My Arms, Your Hearse' it was like a ghost story. The basic theme was that this person dies. He's kind of reborn as a ghost, and he stays in the same environment. He sees his loved ones, like family members and friends, going on with their lives. It's almost like a film - what's it called? The Sixth Sense - he doesn't understand that he is dead - but I wrote it actually before the Sixth Sense came out. It's almost like a film. 'Still Life' was not Satanic but an anti-Christian theme. It sounds pretty naive when I explain it like this. It kind of takes place a long time ago when Christianity had a bigger importance than it has today. The main character is kind of banished from his hometown because he hasn't got the same faith as the rest of the inhabitants there. The album pretty much starts off when he is returning after several years to hook up with his old "babe." Obviously a lot of bad things start happening with, as I call it on the album, "the council." The big bosses of the town know that he's back. A lot of bad things start happening. They see him as a hypocrite in a way. It's almost like a devil's advocate or whatever it's called.

MU: What is the picture on the 'Morningrise' cover?

MÅ: We did not know at the time. Our label boss for Candlelight went on holiday, and they went to this place. I can't remember the name. He actually walked on the bridge or whatever it is. He sent me a postcard with the exact same picture that we have on the cover there but with color. It's some kind of tourist place in England.a

What are you worried about musicnerd? What if they WERE a satanic band? would it make them an less of a band? What would it change? nothing. :) You must know that you have to worship Satan to be a metal head ;)