Do you always use compression on the master bus?

Oops sorry guys I meant FG-X of course, not VCC :lol: Sorry. I'm using either the compressor built in FG-X or the Waves SSL mixbus compressor (and deactivate the FG-X comp). And thanks Gabriel, I never knew a console simulation was no compressor ;) :D
Allthough I also use VCC on the masterbus, but only the 4k and never the Neve sim. Love the Neve sim on guitars, though.

And yes, I'm eager to get the SSL mixbus clone from Prime Analog.. and his 1176 clone. Ha.

nope.
never mix into / with compression on the master bus.
There's a limiter just to make sure that I'm not bouncing clipping but no compression.

I use it. Just a tiny bit. 1-2db is what i like. That way the mix wont alter that much the compressor just gives that extra glue. I never got any good results with heavy compression on the master bus. And i don't like the way CLA last mixes pumps.

I use it. Just a tiny bit. 1-2db is what i like. That way the mix wont alter that much the compressor just gives that extra glue. I never got any good results with heavy compression on the master bus. And i don't like the way CLA last mixes pumps.

yes to everything.

cmzg2a9tdzf1fz9.jpg

Almost never. I usually start out with a master bus compressor, but sooner or later I realize that something is pumping ever so slightly. I usually do all of my master compression/eq/fx once the whole mix is done, and I can really tweak with it.

do you mean during mixing or mastering btw?
pic referred to #2, these days I dont mix into a compressor that much anymore...casually maybe

Im curious, has anyone had a Rare case where 6-8db of gain reduction just sounded amazing. I usually go for 1-3db of gain reduction but I'm mixing a band right now where i'm hitting 8db's and it just sounds so right... Anyone have a similar experience?