Do you compress heavy guitars?

RiF

Dec 29, 2007
Germany
www.planet-goth.de
So, do you compress (bus or track) heavy guitars which are already pretty compressed coming from the amp (even if you're running on a medium gain setting). I am talking about really heavy guitars (think of Unearth, Chimaira, Devildriver and such). I am asking because "The Oncoming Storm" from Unearth (and others, too) sounds as if the guitars are pretty compressed or limited or whatever.

i use a vintage warmer on the guitar bus sometimes, its basically working as a limiter - dont really want any pumping, but it can help things get more upfront if they need it.

best answer is to try it and see if you like it, and whether or not they actually need it.

If they peak out a lot then yeah, I won't be afraid to hit them with the L1 or L2 to chop the peaks. Ideally I think I'm after something to simulate tape saturation, as many of the top guys say digital has nothing on 2" as far as tracking guitars goes. So if you have a saturator plug that compresses in an 'analogue-like' way, it may be worth giving it a shot.

If they peak out a lot then yeah, I won't be afraid to hit them with the L1 or L2 to chop the peaks. Ideally I think I'm after something to simulate tape saturation, as many of the top guys say digital has nothing on 2" as far as tracking guitars goes. So if you have a saturator plug that compresses in an 'analogue-like' way, it may be worth giving it a shot.

PSP Mix Saturator?

I've been doing parallel compression on rhythm guitars for a while with nice results. It adds a lot of body to the guitars when the source tracks are panned 100% L/R and the parallel signal is compressed to bejesus and mixed a bit lower.

sometimes, usually when I mic wrong/have bad settings on the amp (usually too much bass, that really peaks during palm mutes). wouldn't need to if I didn't fuck those 2 things up all the time.

I've never fully grasped the parallell compression on distorted guitars. What happens, technically, when you do it? The most energy-heavy area of a distorted guitar has to be the lows and low mids, right? So compressing the guitar would make the lows trigger the compression, thus pushing down the highs in the signal (single band compression). So what this does in the end, is evening out the lows to be less bumpy, and when that is blended back with the original it makes it... more punchy or what?

For me, before I use a technique, I need to understand it first. I haven't really grasped what parallell compression does for the guitar sound yet, so I haven't tried it "seriously". A brief but detailed explanation would be awesome :)

Try to check new Lamb of God producer CD there are solo tracks from all instruments.

Compression only if needed on the mid bass area. I use ferox as a tape simulator, I like very much the way it sounds on guitar!

Didn't have much luck when using the stock Digidesign PTLE Compressor (Dyn 3 it's called, I think). I didn't get it from pumping or destroying the attack phase of my guitars. Then I demoed the Massey CT4 compressor which did exactly what I was after. It just squishes the guitars so that they just have a more even level without destroying the attack phase or pumping. Everything is left intact and the guitars just sit better in the mix. Great. I immediately purchased that thing.

I'll try some saturation plugins next (Ferox, Tessla, Tape Head).

I typically use McDsp's Analog Channel on clean guitars for compression as tape style compression does all the compressing you could ever want or need.

As far as distorted guitars go, the signal is heavily compressed already so compressing it twice just results in even further reduced dynamics, so I won't typically touch them. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to parallel compress them a bit though, and I use Analog Channel for that, too. Like someone else already mentioned, it's hard to touch tape saturation for guitars (and drums, too, if it comes to it). :)

I don't compress guitars, especially guitars. Hell i don't compress any other instrument, i like the rawness and clarity that comes from the nuances of uncompressed tracks, but since guitars are already compressed by nature, those are the last thing you want to compress. If you are having palm mutes that are peaking really hard and the sound like a big "WOOF" with no clarity, a multiband compressor is good to tame the lows, but only a little bit. To me even if the bass on the mutes are over the top, listen to them in a mix, they may not be when all the other instruments are present, most of the time it just makes the mutes sound punchy and fits well. If they still are too much then compress the low band to tame them, but don't overdo it. In a worst case scenario if you can't compress the low band without it ducking and still having too much "woofing" going on, you need to re-mic your cab and dial in your settings better becuase that will have a much better result than compressing to compensate for a recording flaw.

On the other hand i do like to use saturation in the guitar bus. I like to use the single triode from Revalver MkIII, turn the output down and bring the input up until the guitars start to cook, then bring up the output to match the unsaturated levels. Usually when i use the triode for saturation the bass roll off usually takes care of over the top bass which prevents you from needing to use compression to tame the low end. You will have to EQ the lows mids back in to compensate for some warmth, but in the end it works for me real well.

dont compress heavy guitars, the more gain the more natural compression and the lower your sound will become in the mix meaning you have to boost it more and add more noise to the mix.

ever notice why a clean fender deluxe can take your head off with its clean tone compared to a 6505 or close. clean is louder then gain

If you mean post amp then not as a rule . Clean guitar tones of course but distortion is an effective compressor on its own . Ive tried a little compression during mastering and I mean a tiny amount just to smooth things out (mostly unnoticeable until you A/B the mix) but this compresses the whole mix .