Do you feel comfortable sharing music with others?

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
I don't care to share albums that I have a profound sentiment towards with anyone. If you became "intimate" with a certain piece of music, why whore it by sharing it with someone that more than likely would not be able to relate to what you felt when you were enchanted by it? Case in point... Climb Thar Hill, his off and on girlfriend, and I all listened to AATG for the first time in it's entirety driving back from Portland. It just left a bad taste in my mouth is all. Seeing as The Mantle and Pale Folklore has really helped me with getting through some difficult times in my past, it made it feel as if a little piece of my soul had been whored. Certain musical experiences can be shared. There's nothing wrong with throwing on some Slayer, D666, and the like and having a few beers. By the same token other albums should not be manaje'd trois in an audiogenic pyonggang. I am guilty of these very charges. As I used to allow these recordings to be consumed erroneously by an old gf.

Comments such as "They'de be a good band if they didn't screech" and "This isn't heavy metal, heavy metal is stuff like Korn" can really cause mental disfigurement. As often is the case, one will attach past memories with different albums. I'm sure most of us have albums we put on from time to time that take us back to our lives as they were at a time when that album had it's deepest impact upon you. So such comments can only end up being a shit stain upon your golden fleece.

I was watching Opeth's docu this afternoon and the wife said, "Why does he scream like that? No one wants to hear that."

Yeah, so, no, I don't share music with anyone. It doesn't do any good.

I have no qualms about sharing my music even with people who aren't gonna like it. Sometimes they'll surprise you. My girlfriend for example hates a lot of what I listen to but liked "One Rode to Asa Bay."

I just play whatever and if they don't run away within 20 minutes, I discuss it with them.

Certain albums that I have memories attached to I don't share with anyone, but anything else is fair game.

I feel the same way, I sometimes feel bad like I'm being elitist torwards people, but I guess I don't like the idea of people not being able to appreciate as the thread starter said.

the people i'd be most uncomfortable sharing music with are the members of my family, as i actually care what they think.

the rest of the world, with very few notable exceptions, can fucking shove it if they don't like what i'm playing.

Demilich said:
the people i'd be most uncomfortable sharing music with are the members of my family, as i actually care what they think.

the rest of the world, with very few notable exceptions, can fucking shove it if they don't like what i'm playing.
I feel the same way, I feel uncomfortable letting my parents lisetn to what I listen to or have written. I also care what they think about my lifestyle choices, your parents are one of the few people you can't really shun out of your life if you want to:\

I love playing Mr. DJ and playing tunes to get parties goin', playing to the croud, playing what I think people will like, etc.

I don't play shit based on my own taste because that is gay. 'HEY GUYZ AT A PARTY TRYING TO HAVE FUN/CHICKS TRYING TO DANCE, HOW ABOUT I EXPECT YOU TO ENJOY MY MUSIC WILST RUINING YOUR FUN TIME?!'

Trylakos said:
I feel the same way, I feel uncomfortable letting my parents lisetn to what I listen to or have written.

This is a big one for me. Anything creative, anything I've put effort into, I am VERY insecure about sharing with others. Creative writing in school, etc, I always found a way to make it as impersonal as possible.

Demilich said:
This is a big one for me. Anything creative, anything I've put effort into, I am VERY insecure about sharing with others. Creative writing in school, etc, I always found a way to make it as impersonal as possible.
I have trouble expressing how feel about things. This year in school my grades suffered because I decided not to hand in a project, although I had written and completed it because I did want to share how I felt on the subject.

I think I did that back then too. Don't worry man, with time and exposure to a variety of ways of thinking about this stuff, you'll open up. Worked for me, though not really until the past year or so. Sometimes it takes a jarring incident in your personal life to make you realize you're only hurting yourself by doing stuff like that. Don't lose sleep over it though... think of how little that assignment means in context of your entire life.

edit: nice, RC is kinda emo tonight

I don't even bother sharing my music with others, unless they know a bit about metal

btw, none of my buddies listen to metal, so there's your answer

I like sharing music with my close buddies who enjoy metal, but 90% of the music I send to them, they dislike or in my opinion don't give it enough time to grow on them. So lately I just tell them... this band is fucking awesome, but don't listen because they suck.

To people out side my close buddies, I rarely share my music, because most of them have different tastes in metal than more, or just plain don't want an album that is super straight forward or catchy.

KILL TULLY said:
I love playing Mr. DJ and playing tunes to get parties goin', playing to the croud, playing what I think people will like, etc.

I don't play shit based on my own taste because that is gay. 'HEY GUYZ AT A PARTY TRYING TO HAVE FUN/CHICKS TRYING TO DANCE, HOW ABOUT I EXPECT YOU TO ENJOY MY MUSIC WILST RUINING YOUR FUN TIME?!'
heheh yeah i like being mr. dj showing my friends stuff in my collection i think they'll actually like, i.e. not black metal...i don't really care what other people think about stuff i have a strong emotional connection with cuz i'm used to everyone not liking it. although my friends never say stupid shit like "durr do you like slipknot", and they ask me about metal from time to time, just out of intellectual curiosity. what i hate is when somebody goes "hey you like metal you should meet my friend X, he likes metal too" and i talk to the dude for ten seconds and find out he listens to nu-metal. or emo-screamo-whatever-core :erk:

on a different note one time me and the 5 or so friends i have that actually listen to metal were at a party and it was getting late so we hijacked the stereo and put on some emperor or something...actually nobody really cared, they were stupid indie kids anyway and they deserved it.

I play Necromantia for my grandmother and Arghoslent for my black friend and Agalloch for my father so I guess not.