Do you have a stock portfolio?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Anyone here invest in the market?
Do you use a broker or DIY?
What's your portfolio look like?

Many of you probably have a 401K -- what investments is it up against? e.g. Goldman Sachs, etc.

Cut a long story short, I don't yet have a 401K. I should get one.

Discuss.

[/shylock]

i have about 78 shares of stock from my old company. coincidentally, the stock went up after i got laid off :loco:

i did have a 401K through my previous job and some dude from Edward Jones does my investing, which has actually made me money. i dont have one with my new job but will be signing up in October.

I don't have a 401k, I make too shit money for something like that. My buddy set his 401k deductions to the maximum. The funny thing is, he doesn't have money to buy a fucking sandwich. What logic is there in that?!?! You might not be around in 40 fucking God damn years to see money which can feed your belly today.

I would like to invest in a mutual fund. Any tips for such a financial endeavor?!

My portfolio is as followed.

A small stack of clams in the bank.
500 metal cds.
A pale of tears.

I have a Roth IRA which I get through my credit union. It is invested in mutual funds so doesn't make a lot of money, but rarely goes down by more than $20 any given month. It's almost like a savings account really. Almost.

I'm planning on investing in a CD pretty soon, possibly backed by gold or silver. Not sure yet, and if I don't, I'm keeping that cash in a typical savings account with a whopping 0.39% return, t00t!

I had a 401k at my last job, but decided to cash it out because it'll be some time before I work at a place that has another. Word to the wise: THESE THINGS ARE MONEY MACHINES. The math makes no sense, I put it $60 a week, which cost me only $35 after taxes, and with the company match of $48 + dividends, it went something like this:

$35 = $120 - every week

Madness!

You might not be around in 40 fucking God damn years to see money which can feed your belly today.

This is actually a very good, relevant point.

It pertains to what I said in a previous thread: Why count dollars while you're alive? Your debt is erased once you die, which could be tomorrow

I'm planning on investing in a CD pretty soon, possibly backed by gold or silver. Not sure yet, and if I don't, I'm keeping that cash in a typical savings account with a whopping 0.39% return, t00t!

I was contemplating doing the same, until I realized that I could make the same God damn interest off a typical savings account of 4.7%, with the added advantage of being able to add and take from the account at my leisure. This is the preferable route for any one with self-control in their spending.

I had a 401k at my last job, but decided to cash it out because it'll be some time before I work at a place that has another. Word to the wise: THESE THINGS ARE MONEY MACHINES. The math makes no sense, I put it $60 a week, which cost me only $35 after taxes, and with the company match of $48 + dividends, it went something like this:

$35 = $120 - every week

Madness!

That is outstanding matching contributions. My company offers 6% to the dollar! What crap.

I never set up a 401K because I didn't think I was staying in the US forever, but now I'm considering it. Thing is, I don't have any spare $ to put aside each month so I'm not even sure how I'd squeeze it in.

My annual budget revolves around a massive whopping tax rebate I get against all the interest I paid towards my mortgage. Plus I have equity in my house in London with some rent coming in.

Otherwise, I really should be investing some amount into something like a mutual fund -- but from what I understand, the rich are the ones making all the money. So you have to invest a minimum of $10K to really reap the rewards.

I swear to goat, the average receptionist at Goldman Sachs made more money than me last year just through her annual bonus. I knew I should have learned how to tipe! :loco:

I was contemplating doing the same, until I realized that I could make the same God damn interest off a typical savings account of 4.7%, with the added advantage of being able to add and take from the account at my leisure. This is the preferable route for any one with self-control in their spending.

ING dude. The interest rate on their savings account is pretty great. Their cds are nice too

I was thinking of looking into gold and silver...just getting bits and pieces here and there. I've heard it's usually a pretty safe investment

Yeah.

Savings account at around 3% (lol @ Adrian's)

401k that I no longer contribute to due to lack of funds (when the wife worked, I was at 12% or some shit). If you can swing it, and it's available, y'all need to do this. IT'S FREE MONEY

2 Roths managed by the wife's uncle, one of Edward Jones's top 10 investors. He's since been promoted and passed his stuff on to some lackey but it's still doing pretty good.

If we decide to rent after we sell the house, I'm going to put the cash we make into CDs or something relatively safe.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
ING dude. The interest rate on their savings account is pretty great. Their cds are nice too

I was thinking of looking into gold and silver...just getting bits and pieces here and there. I've heard it's usually a pretty safe investment
This is what I'm looking into right now:

http://www.everbank.com/001CertificatesMSSilver.aspx?Referid=11639

It has a limited window, and I haven't done my research yet, so I'll probably miss the boat. But there it be!

That is outstanding matching contributions. My company offers 6% to the dollar! What crap.
Wow, that sucks. My contribution was funky math, but at the end the max contribution you gave was 6% of your salary, and they matched 5% of that. The time to bug newjob bossman for a 401k and benefits package probably won't come soon, this market sucks and in a lot of ways, I'm lucky to have a job right now. Especially for the mad Clerks Cartoon Cash they're paying me, p00t!

I opened an ING savings account today. The 4.5% yield will likely outperform my Roth IRA, which I've spent 5 years investing in. :Smug:

Oh yeah, and my current credit union savings is a paramount 0.55% APY, not 0.39% as stated above. :Smug: :Smug:

I stand corrected on my Roth IRA, looks like it earned 10% last year. Sweet.

This is my plan now:

$300 / month goes to IRA, to be bumped up to $400 next year when the contribution limits go up.
$125 / week goes to ING savings

This will be a challenge to maintain with my pending rent situation while maintaining my debt free streak (currently at 32 hours and counting
badger.gif
), but if all goes well, I shall maintain the status of Shylock as well.

I love it:
Fed Rate Cut Will Not Solve Problems in Housing

Sep 19, 2007 -- In a panic-induced move, the Fed made the decision yesterday to cut the target for the fed funds rate by 50 basis points. The action was meant to forestall the adverse effects of the current credit crunch and housing downturn, but will in fact do very little to save housing.
[Subscribe to the Housing Bubble News RSS feed]

Fed's Target Rate: 4.75 Percent

After keeping rates steady since June of 2006, the Fed made the aggressive (and downright silly) decision to slash the 5.25 percent fed funds rate by 50 basis points.

Prime Lending Rate: 7.75 Percent

In response to the Fed rate cut, many major banks dropped the prime rate from 8.25 to 7.75 percent on certain consumer loans and home equity lines of credit (HELOCs).

New Mortgage Rate: ???

Who knows? The Fed's key rate is merely a short-term target rate. Just because policymakers cut this rate, it doesn't mean lenders will follow suit and lower mortgage rates on 30-year fixed rate mortgage loans. Last week, the average mortgage rate was 6.31 percent. What it will be next week is anyone's guess.

Winners: Banks, Real Estate Agents, and Builders

Let's assess the true beneficiary of this rate cut: Wall Street and the financial institutions that bet the house on subprime/ARM loans.

Wall Street has been rallying around a fed cut for awhile now. When the Fed's move was announced yesterday, the Dow Jones industrial average soared, posting the biggest one day point gain in over four years.

'It was everything the market had been begging for for weeks -- and more,' said Richard A. Weiss, chief investment officer at City National Bank in Los Angeles.

Investors and banks are certainly in a begging position at this point. Surging defaults have shaken the security of everyone who has a stake in the subprime market. Investors and banks alike have been backing off.

In a statement, the Fed admitted the cut was intended to get lenders to ease the credit-freeze and begin lending again, as tight restrictions have 'the potential to intensify the housing correction and to restrain economic growth more generally'.

But banks and investors weren't the only ones rejoicing at the news yesterday. Agents and builders were also buoyed. Lower rates mean the possibility of more buyers. In an interview with Bloomberg, the CEO of mega-giant homebuilder Toll Brothers joyfully proclaimed that 'Our boy has righted the ship'.

It is obvious why builders, agents, banks, and investors are happy right now with Fed chairman Ben Bernanke and his 'boy wonder' antics, but it is important to remember that not everyone is a winner when the Fed makes a rate cut.

Losers: Savers, Mortgage Borrowers, and the U.S. Dollar (In Other Words, Everyone Else)

Responsible savers will see a negative impact on interest earnings as a result of the Fed rate cut. Short-term CDs will no longer pay off like they once did.

A slashed rate could have a negative effect on borrowers from a long-term standpoint as well. Long-term mortgage rates (like those for 30-year fixed rate loans) are not set by the Fed, but rather the marketplace itself. When investors worry about inflation (which is what the Fed should be worrying about) long-term interest rates go up.

If investors are concerned the rate cut will increase inflation pressures in the near future (which they are) long-term interest rates could go up and put the housing market in an even worse bind.

There is also a chance that banks won't even pass the short-term savings on to borrowers. The rate cut gives banks the opportunity to play catch-up. Greedy lenders and other lenders who are trying to rebuild their financial standing will probably not be in a hurry to lower interest rates.

If there was a big loser in all of this though, it would have to be the U.S. dollar. The dollar fell to a record low against the euro, and tumbled in comparison to several other currencies when the Fed made the announcement.

In short, the Fed's decision was irresponsible. Bernanke has shown that he is no better than Greenspan. If our policymakers continue to follow this path, you can kiss the value of your hard-earned money goodbye.

(To see a brief summary of how the collapse of the dollar will affect the U.S. in coming years, check out our recent interview with DollarCollapse.com.)
The rich get richer. The poor get repeatedly assraped by simians with elephantitis of the scrote and wang.

Thomas Jefferson said:
If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless. I sincerely believe the banking institutions (having the issuing power of money) are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies. My zeal against these institutions was so warm and open at the establishment of the Bank of the United States (Hamilton's foreign system), that I was derided as a maniac by the tribe of bank mongers who were seeking to filch from the public.
I love how my savings account went from 4.5% to 4.3% within hours of B-Fed dropping rates, along with CDs dropping, but mortgages, car loans, etc. all stayed the same. In essence, Obiwan Bernanke gave lenders an additional 0.5% profit margin. Gaymazing.