Do you learn songs? Q For everybody

demeyed

Jun 13, 2007
I find that I don't really learn that many songs. I play guitar a lot but its mostly making stuff up, playing solos over backings or practicing technically. I do jam with a few tunes but rarely learn anything new. I always mean to learn more but am not too pushed. I was wondering if any of you guys learn many songs and how often?
I might only learn a new song every couple of weeks or so.

I find that I don't really learn that many songs. I play guitar a lot but its mostly making stuff up, playing solos over backings or practicing technically. I do jam with a few tunes but rarely learn anything new. I always mean to learn more but am not too pushed. I was wondering if any of you guys learn many songs and how often?
I might only learn a new song every couple of weeks or so.
Hey demayed,

finding the right balance in anything you do is the best answer, by that I mean if all you practice is technique then that is what you songs will sound like, if all you practice is song your songs will will probably sound weak technically and also will be a rip of those who's songs you learn. Doing both will make you technically sound while giving you the ability to take the cool stuff from the songs learned and make it your own. If you are learning a song a week that is pretty good IMHO.

Also don't forget your theory AHAHAHHA

Chris.

I rarely learn new songs also. Just started working on some nevermore. I try to write alot and just normal practise.

I Practice my technique mostly , then go onto songs where I can apply this technique and further hone it. Like Right now, I'm learning Rhapsody- Holy Thunderforce beside my sweeping, and Dream Theater- The Dance of Eternity beside my picking.

I do theory in like 2:1 ratio to all other 'sections' combined. But I don't practice technique since I do too much theory. This is my main objective now.

I usually write my own material for my bands/projects, but I have learned quite a shitload of songs by others. Such as Nevermore, Dream Theater, etc.

It's a great way to find new ideas.

I don't really learn any new songs anymore, to be honest. I have been trying to concentrate more on my own material rather than learning someone else's. I used to constantly learn songs in the past and hardly ever wrote anything. I strive to change that!

Nowadays, I will occasionally learn a song that is intriguing and if I feel that I want to implement that type of playing/style into my own playing/style/songwriting. I recently learned a couple of Gojira songs simply because of this reason.

I'll occasionally pick up my guitar and play songs along with the actual songs when I feel like warming up or just goofing around. These songs are songs I have learned in the past so if I forget them all, I'll just have to learn new ones. :lol:

i most learn songs as etudes, to help me work on specific things, like right now im working on getting to a solid 12 nps, and ive been working on concerto by cacophony to help get me there, also ive been working on the TGE sweeps, but also writing my own sweeps, to me songs help get my skills set in stone

I enjoy learning new songs and making my own. I find the learning new songs is entertaining and keeps me wanting to play guitar. I write my owns songs but it is all mostly limited because I suck and when it comes to theory I know next to nothing, but I still try to make stuff that sounds good.

I am still learning new songs, and very basic notation to help with sheet music.

When I'm noodling and something good hits the ear I'll try to jot it down.

When I first started. It was just me a guitar and a tape of Ozzy's Tribute. I would work my way thru whole songs play,pause rewind repeat. Now I lack patience. I start a song I get into for about a day or two and then move on. So I end up playing, surfing with a mystical potato extremist for the love of juice get the hell outta here. I don't know what it is sometimes I will work on 3 or 4 songs at a time, ADD I guess.