do you really think that damage done is that good?

opethpainter

the psychedelic servant
Jan 20, 2002
italy
jump.to
well, i don't think so.

as you should have guessed, i "come from" the opethforum, but i just want to tell you that this album is [in my opinion, of course] not so great as anybody says everywhere.

i have listened to it, and i confess that i can't find any melody which is someways simple to remember and sing in my head. i mean, when i like an album i often find myself singing melodies from the songs i like most. but this never happened with this album.

with projector was different: i admit i really love it, maybe the best dt ever. with haven dt compressed the sound into shorter songs, but the effect was great anyway, i should say thanx to the keys.

but with damage done [prophetic, huh? dt have made it!] it seems to me that dt have involved into their own style. sometimes the lack of ideas can't hide behind a great production [and damage done has got a superb production!].

is there anybody in there who thinks the same? or should i guess that every person here loves damage done so much?

let me say, in the end, that in the eternal battle in flames vs dark tranquillity, my vote this time goes to in flames. for the reasons i mentioned above.

bye.

Well obviously our entitled to your opinion. Not everyone is gonna enjoy an album. But honestly I think DT has achieved a higher echelon with this album. Haven for some reason seemed to dry out after a while. With DD everything is so full of power and emotion, the return of the blast beats and the overall heaviness of album just gives it more impact. I for one, (call me a fanboy or what have you, thinK DD is so far the best of 2002. At least in the top 3 IMHO.

Like you said, the production is superb. Couldn't have ask for more from Stanne in the vocal and lyrical delivery. Guitar work is melodic and a definite step up from Haven, many more interesting riffs, not to mention memorable ones. Bringing me to the "memorable quality" of DD. I can't count how often I've cought myself humming riffs from The Treason Wall or Final Resistance. I mean theres great refrains everywhere, Format C: For Cortex, Treason Wall, Hours Passed in Exhile, Monochromatic Stains, Cathode Ray Sunshine.

This really IS a solid album and I couldn't give any more cheers to DT for coming up with it. I think it smashes Haven and a lot of other shit that came out this year into the dirt (not to say Haven was shit at all, I think Haven was excellent, but DD really does blow it out of the water). Maybe it needs a few more listens, if not than time to listen to something else ;)

F_V (i didn't type all that did i....)

Originally posted by Final_Vision
...the return of the blast beats...
Those aren't blast beats, they're skank beats. Blastbeats are those hyperfast beats used by f. ex. Nile, just for the record...

Anyway, if I'm honest, and I should be, I must somehow agree with opethpainter. I have been listening to DD quite a few times in the meantime, but it's not the totally killer album I hoped it'd be prior to its release. I thought it'd grow on me and it did, but not as much as I hoped. There's still only 3 songs that I really, really like:

- Final Resistance
- Single Part Of Two (I can't believe this song's considered as one of the less good songs on DD by several people on this board...)
- Hours Passed In Exile

I will not go into philosophing about causes, but DD simply hasn't grasped me the way I'd hoped it would. I honestly prefer Haven I think. Nevertheless, I am pleased about the direction they've taken with DD -> more aggressive, no clean vocals (me :yuk: Projector) and yes, a bit of a return to their old style.

I know this is gonna come off as pretentious, but I'll say it anyway: I think DD is something of a litmus test, as far as metal fans are concerned. If you don't like it, I think you have to take a step back and ask yourself what you're looking for in music.

What makes Damage Done an exceptional album is that it comes from such an established melodic death metal act. I strongly disagree with Opethpainter because I found all the melodies contained in that album highly memorable and very well done. And I don't believe that bullshit that DD is better than RTR... honestly I think both albums are great in their own right.

i think final_vision pretty much summed it up for me. as a side note, i think that maybe damage done is not as good as projector. it's hard to decide for sure, and i won't bore you all to death comparing two records that maybe most of you don't find so similar or close in quality, but i'm still almost in two minds when it comes to ranking dd.

i find it's better than haven, definitely. and better than tmi or the gallery, which i didn't particularly like anyway. the fact that the melodies are not so simple or too easy to sing along quickly i find a happy bonus, because i know that through further listenings i will learn to appreciate more the richness in texture.

opethpainter mentioned lack of ideas. i think i can relate to this opinion in a way, since i also have often the feeling ideas show through mainly in very experimental, diverse records (in all styles of music). but lately i've come to the conclusion that these are maybe just the ideas i like best and more traditional, compact releases can be as full of ideas as the ones that better fulfill my needs, it's just that i notice them far less.

rahvin.

Originally posted by opethpainter

i have listened to it, and i confess that i can't find any melody which is someways simple to remember and sing in my head. i mean, when i like an album i often find myself singing melodies from the songs i like most. but this never happened with this album.

I just have one question, since you come from the Opeth forum :D
You mean to tell me you find melodies that stick in your head in that stuff that Opeth does?
I haven't been able to do that feat with any of the 3 records I have from them (BWP, Morningrise and Still Life) and I have done it with DD :confused:

Other than that you are entitled to your oppinion.

I have to say I don't think it's the album of 2002, no matter how much I would want it to be, but it is in top 3 for me too, might be number 2, Satyricon just owns the number 1 spot.

Yes. As far as I'm concerned, its the album of 2002, and I'd put it in top three Melodic Death albums EVER.

I can't stop listening to it. I do hum the melodies, sing along, sing when walking along, air-drum etc.etc. to it...

It is a very solid metal album but I loved the earlier works much more. I am glad they didn't try to give it any pop appeal life I feel InFlames did in Reroute.
I kind of wish that they would go back to the older style where they had a huge contrast of emotion in each song. In my opinion DD is much more straight forward.
I always thought the name Dark Tranquillity fit their older style perfectly and that is what made them my most listened to band.
I can see where a fan of Opeth would be a little disappointed with DD.

I just loved the Damage Done, I think it's a kind of return to the old DT........
It's a killer album
headbob.gif

I really like Damage Done!
Of course, I don't have much to compare with since it's the only DT album I own - yet! And once I get some of the earlier stuff, my perspective might change a bit. But... a good album is a good album, regardless.
Never been good at explaining why I like music... so I'll just say that Damage Done is the kind of music that I like to listen to...

i'm listening right now to projector. the more i listen, the more i am convinced that it is the true masterpiece made by dark tranquillity.

in an interview i read that mikael stanne said everyone has some projects in his life: he wanted to make an album full of clean vocals. i was waiting for that, but then came haven, and then this damage done. i didn't expect an album like haven, but i confess i like it very much. i also didn't expect dd, but this time i must say it doesn't convince me at all.

about the "clean vocals" album, it's not a matter of becoming commercial i think, cause if it's good music i appreciate it, even if the whole world has bought that album. i think it's like to be "unpredictable in your own style", as mikael [akerfeldt] says on the opeth's official site.

and about opeth: yes, i know almost every single melody by opeth, even if a 10+ min song could be more difficult to keep in mind than a 3 minutes one.

my album of 2002? deliverance, of course!

Damage Done for me wasn't one of those albums that was an instant favorite. When listening to it for the first time, I didn't "know" that I would be humming these songs on my free time.. etc.
But, after listening a few more times... the album caught its grip upon me like a stalker sneaks up in the night, and has well established it's place as one of the all time melodic death metal albums ever.
The album as a whole isn't totally awesome... every song isn't good. For example.. I think "white noise/black silence" is a "feast of burden" redone, especially the main riff, and the instrumental song seemed thrown together, it could have been much more melodic and "pretty".
But good god.. the stand out songs blow me away, totally.

Final Resistance
Monochromatic Stains
Damage Done (which has become thoroughly stuck in my head)
Single Part of Two

It's very pleasing to still have Dark Tranquillity to listen to when all the other bands are trying pop. Damage Done runs circles around R2R.