Do you still support?

Um...when did I say I wasn't going to listen to it first? That's what I mean by saying "I know for a fact their won't be a decline".

I was implying that, if you knew it didn't suck before you "bought" the album that would mean you probably downloaded it. Which to me makes buying the album kind of pointless. But forget I said anything.

I don't download music, period. I meant sampling music off myspace, getting free tracks off the official site, etc.

Downloading is good. Anyway the bands don't usually get a crap out of record sales royalties, so it's better to get a good free promotion on the internet so you get more people to go to the gig and buy tshirts...and that's when you're laughing.

Concerning the OP, it's all about the amount of quality that remains on the albums after the "change" and not about the style. Some bands that were metal, went into experimental and it was crap, and when they turned back to metal it was even worse.

Better bear a grudge to the ones that just turned into shit, full stop.

Anyway, I'm fine if a band experiments because they want to try something different or whatever; I might not like it, but I won't really hold it against them....

On the other hand, if a band makes an obvious cash grab, and fails, they do lose some points in my book. I think it does show a lack of commitment to their supposed aesthetic ideals.

Metallica, in fact, presents an extreme example. If they put out another MOP tomorrow, well, I might listen to it and even enjoy it, but I could NEVER really take them seriously again....

Why is it only if it fails? What if a band does a successful cash grab, still resulting in a good album?

Well, then I pretty much hate them automatically, as a matter of course. I kind of thought that went without saying. :p

Not to say that I hate all commercial music, because I certainly don't. But yeah, any band that makes a really blatant cash grab successful or no, basically gets docked, at the very least....

edit - I see you said "good album". Well, a good album is a good album, but it can certainly be marred by the kind of factors we're discussing....