Suggestions on sullen/gloomy bands...

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
Any good suggestions on great gloomy bands such as My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Opeth, Forest Stream, Anathema, Rapture, etc???

I dont like Sentenced or Paradise Lost though.

Just looking for more bands that fall into this category, since I buy about 10 fuckin cd's every week.

o_O

NP: Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var

Lacuna Coil and Theatre Of Tragedy might be some bands you might be interested in. How about some Crowbar too even though they are not doom metal cause they're sludgecore.

Empyrium and Bethlehem if you can find them. Supposedly they play "suicide metal." Great stuff: all slow, gloomy, and depressing as hell. I downloaded all their mp3s I could find, but never was fortunate enough to find their CDs in a store. St. Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, and Mourning Beloveth are sullen and gloomy too, although doom metal.

Life Sucks' suggestions are good. I'd also add Neurosis (everyone knows about them anyway..) and Abruptum. Bethlehem and Abruptum are prolly two of the blackest suicide bands there are.

some good albums:

Darkseed - Diving into Darkness
Antimatter - Saviour
Dargaard - In Nomine Aeternitatis
Schaliach - Sonrise
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Queensrÿche - Rage for Order (almost every song on here is dark and depressing)

and Agalloch like HD mentioned

I just picked up 2 Bethlehem albums. They rock. The dude's vox are fuckin' insane. Sheer agony! Also, got Theatre of Tradegy which I havent listened to yet.

Wish I knew what the fuck the dude was saying though LOL. :ill:

BloodStainedWalls said:
I just picked up 2 Bethlehem albums. They rock. The dude's vox are fuckin' insane. Sheer agony! Also, got Theatre of Tradegy which I havent listened to yet.
Wow, good find! I was not able to find them in any stores. I take it you don't live in America?

The whole them of Shadows Fall's first album Somber Eyes To The Sky is depression, so you could check that out. Oh and Type O Negative of course.

Life Sucks, Empyrion is fucking good from what I've heard, unfortunately nobody stays on Kazaa long enough for me to actually download a full song from them.(only a few people there have songs from them)

Blade Golem said:
Life Sucks, Empyrion is fucking good from what I've heard, unfortunately nobody stays on Kazaa long enough for me to actually download a full song from them.(only a few people there have songs from them)
There a quite a few songs by them to be found on WinMx. I was able to download one whole album plus some more songs. I think that WinMx is generally better for underground music than Kazaa.

Naa man. I live in Rhode Island. We have Newbury Comics here, which carry A LOT of underground shit. I got one new and one used. The one with the vocalist who is the most extreme vocalist I have ever heard is from the "Dictius Te Necare" album. That dude makes the hairs on my neck stand up. Theatre of Tragedy are really good as well.

Novembers Doom, Rain Fell Within, 3rd and the Mortal (Tears Laid in Earth is very gothic and doomy, female vocals, the newer albums are more progressive though), Maudlin of the Well, Brave, Tiamat, Autumn Tears (this isn't metal, it's more of a synthed symphonic with 2 female vocalists and some dude but it's pretty cool), Em Sinfonia.