Looking for Katatonic music...HELP!!!

maidennj

New Metal Member
Sep 21, 2005
Looking for some good doom/prog metal/rock bands in the vein of Katatonia and others like:

Anathema (like Silent Enigma and on)
Antimatter
Paradise Lost (All)
Opeth
Rapture
Rain Paint
Blazing Eternity
My Dying Bride
Amorphis (Eclipse is phenomenal :kickass: )
Porcupine Tree (like Deadwing)
Daylight Dies
Fall of the Leafe
October Tide

That's about all I can think of...and I'm dying for more. Been listening to this stuff for the past 2 months. Haven't touched any death/black metal or anything else. Ideas please!!!

Check out Thine's "In Therapy." It reminds me of a cross between Anathema's "Alternative 4" and Katatonia's LFDGD... but with a strong dose of Britpop (ala Coldplay, Oasis) ect, mainly due to the hook-filled vocal delivery. Every song is instantly catchy and memorable, but it also grabs you and demands that you press "repeat" over and over... the enjoyment factor does nothing but intensifies with repeated listen! "In Therapy" is truly one of the most criminally underappreciated albums ever. I've listened to it atleast a few times a week for the last 3 years without getting remotely bored.

You can check out 3 of the songs on their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thine1

Of these, the title track is probably my favorite.

Their first album, "A Town Like This" was rather eclectic and.... strange. I dig it, but it does not deliver the punch of emotional immediacy that the follow up packs.

A perfect circle's first album, ''mer de noms'', which is excellent.
For some depressing shoegazer experience, listen to Slowdive, ''souvlaki'' is their best work imo.
And, hmm Isis maybe? even though they are not really similar to kata, but give it a try, kinda experimental.

Good call on Thine...must have. Slowdive is very interesting as well. I know Swallow the Sun and Slumber, both are very good. Keep em coming people.

I forgot to mention:

Jeff buckley...this motherfucker made one of the most emotional, disturbing songs i've heard in my entire life, genius.

Nick Drake...an old melancholic folk dood, just beautiful music, i know some people that likes kata and likes him a lot too, get ''five leaves left'' it is awesome!!

How about Khoma? Second wave is astonishing.

And I recommend you to try Jinn's website www.darkdose.com , I've found lots of great music there :p

I can't believe no one has mentioned Novembre! That's a band that can't let you down if you look for this kind of music. Try Novembrine waltz or Materia and if a bit more death metallish :)p ) atmosphere doesn't matter you should definitely try Classica.