Do you think Bob Rock is an excelent producer?

StAngersucks.jpg

Wicked. My google.com only gives me 115,000 results and google.de 142,000 for the same string. :err:

Jonesy means the "Some Kind Of Monster E.P." where Randy Staub remixed the edit and video version of Some Kind of Monster. Of course Randy's version is much better..

Cool. Found that vid on metallica.com (if anyone else is interested)... so nice to hear a snare on one of those songs that hasn't AIDS.

Randy couldn't fix the songwriting though and SKOM is one of the better tracks on that wretched spawn. :erk:

I quite like the imperfections in tightness on Garage Inc, gives the album a lot of character, it sounds amazing, yet still sounds really raw, that drum sound for example. I'd love to be able to capture a raw sound like that.

I think Bob is a great producer, I think St Anal was intended to sound that way in an attempt to do something "different" to the black album......I just think it was a indulgent mistake, he will go onto to make other amazing albums

Stuff doesn't have to be tight to be tight to fit a mix or serve a song. I'm sure if you singled out most of the beatles tracks they sound pretty horrid, but all together it's beauty.

Am I the only one who thinks St. Anger's production sucks?
I guess that I am the only one who thinks the St. Anger's production does NOT totally suck.
Yes, of course I do hate the snare sound as much as everybody and I can't stand listening to the album for more than about 3 minutes because of this, but... in todays polished, compressed, processed, drum-replaced metal production era, I really dig the St. Anger production: It sounds raw, brutal, live, unprocessed, up-front and different. It does not follow common production rules but goes it's own way. These are aspects that make this production almost revolutionary for me. If the snare would have been done right, it could have had the potential to start a new production era, where people would have started copying that sound.

I guess that I am the only one who thinks the St. Anger's production does NOT totally suck.
Yes, of course I do hate the snare sound as much as everybody and I can't stand listening to the album for more than about 3 minutes because of this, but... in todays polished, compressed, processed, drum-replaced metal production era, I really dig the St. Anger production: It sounds raw, brutal, live, unprocessed, up-front and different. It does not follow common production rules but goes it's own way. These are aspects that make this production almost revolutionary for me. If the snare would have been done right, it could have had the potential to start a new production era, where people would have started copying that sound.

I agree on many of that points... but the snare just ruins everything.

But it's ok... Would have been much more of shame if there were decent songs on it to begin with.

Yes, of course I do hate the snare sound as much as everybody and I can't stand listening to the album for more than about 3 minutes because of this, but... in todays polished, compressed, processed, drum-replaced metal production era, I really dig the St. Anger production: It sounds raw, brutal, live, unprocessed, up-front and different. It does not follow common production rules but goes it's own way. These are aspects that make this production almost revolutionary for me. If the snare would have been done right, it could have had the potential to start a new production era, where people would have started copying that sound.:heh:

His best work was in my humble opinion not with Metallica, but The Cult, especially on Sonic Temple and Beyond Good And Evil. Layers and layers of great guitar tracks on both albums and they both sound superb. He unfortunately does not know much about constructing an album, i.e. leaving out the weaker tracks, making sure that the album flows well (almost all the albums he produced are too long, including at least 2 filler tracks, like Don't Tread On Me or Struggle Within on The Black Album, namely his "finest hour). But he basically reinvented The Cult with each album he worked with them.

(almost all the albums he produced are too long, including at least 2 filler tracks, like Don't Tread On Me or Struggle Within on The Black Album, namely his "finest hour).

dude what are you saying, I love those two songs! and Black Album isn't too long, hell 80 minutes isn't too long for me except in some isolated cases ("When the light does the shadow" by Funeral, that album is PAINFULLY ETERNAL), and black album isn't too long, what is it, like 60 minutes? what do you want, a rancid album?