Do you think there is a reason

Mar 13, 2005
that Opeth played an Orchid track for europe and not for North America? Like maybe the band felt we wouldn't respond to an older track like Europe might? This was my first tour, so for all I know the band might have played a whole set of morningrise and orchid in NA at some point. Anyway I saw Opeth in Detroit on this past tour and I was praying they would play an Orchid track, but I had this feeling like it was definetly not going to happen, like the crowd wanted MAYH and onwards moreso. Just throwing it out there for discussion.

P.S. obvously north american fans on this board are well acquanted with the older stuff, so don't go by that.

Well, since we get another tour in February it seems likely that they could add one in place of When, which will get dropped most probably. I'd say the set would look like this:
Ghost of Perdition
Harlequin Forest
(a Damnation song)
Deliverance
(another Deliverance song or a BWP song)
The Drapery Falls (return to set, BWP leaves)
The Moor (replaces Face of Melinda
Demon of the Fall
(a Morningrise or Orchid song)

It might be that as the new drummer gets more rehearsed, they will range across more material. You guys in NA had Opeth first on this tour, so maybe he wasn't up to speed with the song. I just don't know how long it would take a skilled drummer to learn enough Opeth songs to fill an average set. I imagine it might take a while...

Heckelgruber said:
It might be that as the new drummer gets more rehearsed, they will range across more material. You guys in NA had Opeth first on this tour, so maybe he wasn't up to speed with the song. I just don't know how long it would take a skilled drummer to learn enough Opeth songs to fill an average set. I imagine it might take a while...

Eh I don't buy that. Under the Weeping Moon isn't all that complicated on the drums. Does anyone know if Martin will be back for the next tour?

I think Opeth may have thought that the European audience would be like to have one of the older tracks seeing as they've been popular in Europe longer than in America. I also assume they guessed a lot of the people coming to see them this tour were going to be new fans who had probably only heard BWP/Deliverance onwards.
TBH i'm not really that bothered :)

opeth_353 said:
I think Opeth may have thought that the European audience would be like to have one of the older tracks seeing as they've been popular in Europe longer than in America. I also assume they guessed a lot of the people coming to see them this tour were going to be new fans who had probably only heard BWP/Deliverance onwards.
TBH i'm not really that bothered :)

That's what I figured.

MasterOLightning said:
Well, since we get another tour in February it seems likely that they could add one in place of When, which will get dropped most probably. I'd say the set would look like this:
Ghost of Perdition
Harlequin Forest
(a Damnation song)
Deliverance
(another Deliverance song or a BWP song)
The Drapery Falls (return to set, BWP leaves)
The Moor (replaces Face of Melinda
Demon of the Fall
(a Morningrise or Orchid song)

That would be the greatest set ever!
The set they played in Montreal was amazing too:

The Baying Of The Hounds
Bleak
Face Of Melinda
In My Time Of Need
Deliverance
The Grand Conjuration
and the grand finale of Demon Of The Fall

I was hoping for Master's Apprentices, but Demon Of The Fall made up for it twice over.

actually they've played Forest of October, Advent and To Bid You Farewell in NA...so it's not that they think European fans would enjoy it more...I'm sure it's just that they need to mix up their sets as much as possible...especially with everyone being able to know what the set is going to be before going to see them play.

There are plenty of random people who'll tell you the setlist for the night just before the gig, while you're in the crowd, waiting for the band to come and have no chance of escape. hey-hey, we've even done it ourselves, despite the fact that it might have ruined half of the excitement to some people.