Does Age Matter?

DOH! I knew that would happen. I love Carcass.

OK, moving on. Hey, Luke. What's up with KYUSS? I went to a friends place last week while I waited for them to get there, I noticed there was some CDs on the table. 3 were from them. I couldn't ask them to play it because the house is more like a club house with nothing worth anything in it, so no CD player. And besides, the kid that owned them wasn't coming by.

LYNN

I'm 21 and I think that it's good that even the "older ones listen to metal, cause normally they say metal is something bad etc. Older people often do really have some prejudices when it comes to metal, but you are able to show them the opposite hehehe.

So my fave metal bands are:

1. Dark Tranquillity (they will ever be the best, even though the newer stuff didn't impress me at all)
2. In Flames (they always release great records and they are simply wonderfull)
3. Soilwork (great young and upcoming band with great melodies)
4. Machine Head (Burn my eyes is in my opinion one of the best albums ever!!!)
5. Metallica (the reason I chose metal!!! They are gods even though they changed their style)

my 5 favourite non-metal bands:

1. Mogwai (amazing and tearbringing)
2. Travis (great acoustics)
3. Coldplay (as well acoustic and melancholic)
4. Incubus (great mixture of new sounds like rock, funk and even hiphop)
5. Jeff Buckley (dead but still alive)

Opeth rule!!!!

Age definitely does not matter. I guarantee I'll be listening to and creating metal music until I die.

I'm 26

My 5 faves other than Opeth:

1. Iron Maiden
2. November's Doom
3. Vintersorg
4. Iced Earth
5. My Dying Bride

Of course also Rush, Morgion, Fates Warning, Chris Poland, Dream Theater, Agalloch, Amorphis, Katatonia, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Nightwish, The Gathering, Slayer, old Megadeth, old Metallica, Tool, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Ozzy...the list goes on and on.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

Mental 'age' does matter. Physical age - I don't even count my own years anymore.

Arcturus is the only 'band' as of now I regard as highly as Opeth. The natural extension of this is Ulver, though ulver doesn't have quite the insane quality Arcturus does.

For the rest, my affinity or dislike for music is album-based. One album from this band, one album from that, a couple from a third.

I'm 24.

My 5 bands:

1) The Sins of Thy Beloved
2) Therion (post Theli)
3) Theatre of Tragedy (Pre Musique)
4) Within Temptation
5) Dismal Euphony

Thank you Nevyn!

But you could guess that already, I'm here after all ;)

I'm not familiar with the bands you mentioned, except Satyricon (I have "Nemesis Divina only), though I recognise the names...

Edit:
By the way, are you also @ liu?
Edit:
I'm blind, I see you're in Norrköping now.

Originally posted by Johan
I'm not familiar with the bands you mentioned, except Satyricon (I have "Nemesis Divina only), though I recognise the names...
Nemesis Divina is after all their best album.... =)
You should really check out Haggard (www.haggard.de), I think you'd like it.

Edit:
By the way, are you also @ liu?
Yep, you too? *hehe* cool. What do you study? I study Teknisk Biologi (Biotech in english).

NP: Forest of october - wish

Ah, I got the right album then!
I remember I picked up this # of Close-up some years ago, and it got me into at least a handful of new bands. It had "Mother North" from Nemesis Divina on it (It also had "Nectar").

I study English C level right now, writing my C-essay *rolls eyes and sighs*

Just turned 33!

Top 5 after Opeth -

1. SKINNY PUPPY (am i the only one on this board??)
2. Devin Townsend (SYL, Ocean Machine, etc...)
3. His Hero Is Gone
4. Meshuggah
5. Mr. Bungle

After reading some of these replys it looks like I'll be buying some Dark Tranquility real soon and Arcturus has got to be one of the coolest sounding band names I've ever heard.

Just make sure you don't get the bad goth synth wannabe arcturus (with such horrible horrible track-titles as 'extravagant introvert goth nite'). I hope they haven't released anything.

My Angel (7'' vinyl), Constellation (both very very very hard to get), Aspera Hiems Symfonia (rereleased in the us recently I think), La Masquerade Infernale (in good supply), Arcturus and the Deception Circus - Disguised Masters (very odd remix album), Reconstellation (My Angel + Constellation bootleg).

I think La Masquerade Infernale is their strongest album, Aspera Hiems Symfonia and Disguised Masters close behind, and all three are guite different from each other. The earlier stuff is considerably rawer (there's no bass on constellation, unless I'm confusing it with another album), less refined in the vein of Aspera Hiems.

Check em out =)

Hey Opet
glad to hear you have the opportunity to get your hands on the music of another great band. Kyuss is something everyone should check out. Now called stoner rock, Kyuss, like Opeth, is a band that doesn't easily fit into conventional music categories. Somewhere between Fu Manchu and Eyehategod, Kyuss sounds something like old Black Sabbath records that were left out under the hot desert sun.
Hard to say which album is their best....
here are a few links to reviews and samples. The first link is just reviews of bands that have sprung up in the general direction of Kyuss, can't say I've heard of any myself, just put it there for the hell of it. After the Kyuss breakup, some of the guys went and formed Queens of the Stone Age, which some people here may be familiar with.
Kyuss is well worth a listen.

http://daredevil.de/home/reviews/2001/january_01/body_january_01/html
http://www.addict.com/ATN/issues/1.09/Sections/44.1kHz/Kyuss/And_The_Circus.html
http://listen.lycos.com/artdetail2.jsp?artistid=15049

Originally posted by luke
A question for Orchid...How do you play Majiang in Finland? Can you read Chinese, or do they write Finnish on the blocks as well? Do you play Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Chinese rules?

Umm, I'm not very familiar with the different rule sets, since I've only played it a couple of times trying to understand what the game is about, but I'd put my money on Chinese rules. The text on the blocks is Chinese but we speak Finnish, except for game terms ("kong" etc.). The blocks are named "characters", "bamboo", "balls", dragons, winds etc. What does it actually say on the tiles?

I've also played some Go, which I find much more interesting. In Finland we use Japanese rules in practically every game. It's been a good while since I last played it, but now I've started to feel like it'd be great to play it again. Perhaps I should go buy "The Games of Shusaku" and learn more. :D

Originally posted by Onan

I'm not sure, Rebel Extravaganza is also a great album.

Yes it is, but it doesn't have the "old Satyricon feeling" to it, like all the previous albums have. The feeling that makes me love songs like "Dark Medieval Times", "Mother North", "Nemisis Divina" for example.
Rebel is a great black metal album, but to my ears it doesn't sound Satyricon (nevertheless I like the album and I understand that the want to develop too...).

Originally posted by Johan

I study English C level right now, writing my C-essay *rolls eyes and sighs*
Whay... heavy. =) I took the English A level last spring.

hehe Thanks Kem!

Jeff Buckley is definitely someone I always rely on when I'm not in a good mood. Many metal musicians listen to his music, even though that his music has nothin to do with metal at all!
It was Mikael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity who made me discover this beautifull man, whom I at first didn't like that much but after having heard him for a couple of times his greatness unfolded very fast!
But for now I haven't heard for quite a long time, I guess I'll just pick Grace and start into a very rainy and gloomy day!

Feel free to mail me at: diegott@t-online.de
or icq me at: 108026391

Nevyn, I studied A-level last spring too.
Did you do it in Norrköping or in Linköping though?
I did it here in Linköping of course.
It was fun, but nowhere NEAR as fun as the B-level.
There we got to look into Shakespeare and poetry and... well, that's what was exciting to me.

Oh, and, ummm... something Opeth related in this post.
Just started playing Morningrise
Aaaahhh... bliss

it's your mind, not your age. 28 until november. children of bodom, mike patton, devin townsend, cradle of filth, dark tranquility, amorphis, borknagar...hang on you said 5.