Does anybody actually read an album's lyrics?

adv_m

New Metal Member
Apr 29, 2005
Israel
I was just wondering if I'm the only one who hasn't read all the lyrics of his albums (not just Opeth albums).
In fact, I think there is no album that I read all of its lyrics.

It depends. If the song strikes me as powerful, or the lyrics as worthy of looking into, I will. I did this with Still Life and MAYH because it contributes to the actual flow of the story.

I tend not to, a lot of the stuff that I get in are promo releases so they do not have them...

I do sometimes, but usually only when I am really fanatical about a particular track or something.

I read the lyrics on CDs I buy, I usually open the booklets to look at the album art and I love the music. Thats how I figured out there are pictures of very nice breasts in Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane, and I think The Perfect Element as well. They might both have the boobens!

There is hardly something greater than reading the lyrics in the booklet while listening to a new album. I do it every time, because it helps me a lot to get into the flair of the musik. Lyrics are a very important part of metal, so i always want to have an expression of the lyrics when i listen to it. I have a problem for example with swedish or finnish lyrics, because i dont have a clue what the hell they are talking about.. thats sad..

Oh yeah. In the days before the Internet, I remember being pissed whenever I got an album that didn't have the lyrics. Now, of course, you can just look them up.

For the most part, I don't really read the lyrics. But with Deadwing, for instance, I read pretty much all the lyrics because I couldn't understand what was being said in certain parts. Other than examples like that, I have always been more interested in the instrumentation (and in this case, I don't consider the voice to be an instrument)

I usually read lyrics, but only after I've taken a couple of listens to the album first like someone mentioned before. If I don't listen to the lyrics then I feel like I'm not getting the complete effect the music was meant to have.

I like knowing what a song is about, and i like being able to sing along, in my own off-key ear-drum destroying way. Plus, it can be really annoying to hear something completely wrong in a track and think it is about badgers..

Trey Parker said:
i'm heterosexual, so no

I like how you had to edit this to make it "correct"...*wonders about the first draft*