does anyone here work with assistant engineers?

When you guys say editing, are we talking cleaning up tracks, or slip-editing drums to a grid, or what? There are many different kinds I suppose. Just wondering what the "job" actually is; does it go as far as comping takes together, or is that something you'd usually want to do for yourself?

I guess it's everything the tracks need to be mix-ready (slip editing, phase aligning, cleaning, etc.) I think comping the takes is more on the artistic side so more producer job I suppose...

If anyone can recommend a pain-free solution to record a screen capture in addition to DAW audio and me talking into a microphone then I'd do it but so far everything has been a huge PITA to set up.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing a video or video series though, could probably sell them considering my discog.

Check out ScreenFlow. It costs, but it's worth every penny. It comes with a full-featured video editor you can use to edit anything (not just screencasts).

@OP I do not have an assistant engineer at the moment, but I have a close friend. I'll be training him personally, to make sure he can edit things the way I would do it, as well as for mixing. He'll be sitting with me while most of the mixing is going on as well. This way we will be able to take on multiple projects.