Does God exist?

the phoenix

Mar 25, 2004
I've decided to stir up some controversy. More accurately the question is, does something beyond the physical exist? Infinite, the Ineffable, or whatever you want to call it. I'll tell you, I call it Nothing, with a capital N. Before I write volumes on my beliefs, let's see where the post's original question takes us...

the inherent problem with this debate as you have phrased it is, there is not enough empirical evidence to prove he does exist, nor is there enough evidence to prove he does not exist. there is some evidence for both conclusions, but in order to reach a conclusion, one must place faith in the evidence which seems more compelling to their views. personally i believe he does exist. you can't prove me wrong, and i can't prove that he does exist either.

I remember reading that it was just something impossible to comprehend, and never will be.

I personally doubt the existence of a God, but I'll be the first to concede that there's no way to know for certain either way. I believe in evolution, but even that doesn't automatically rule out the existence of a higher being. Though I would call myself an atheist, the science-based "primordial soup" theory of what first sparked replicating life is a little vague even for my taste. It's entirely possible that there is a wholly scientific explanation for what began life as we know it, that we have yet to stumble on or comprehend but may someday discover as technology and our understanding of the natural world progresses. However, the idea of a higher being having given life to this first spark, and then leaving things alone to develop as chance would have it, is also entirely feasible and would not be out of line with the rest of my beliefs. I believe in science, but science right now can't explain to me how basic chemical substances that originally existed in fixed amounts found ways to multiply themselves. However, the idea of a higher being providing that first spark and then simply sitting back to watch the domino effect doesn't mesh very well with any well-known, well-established religion that I know of, and certainly not Christianity, which is the religion followed by the rest of my family.

Back to the original topic...there is no scientific experiment I or anyone else can conduct (or at least none that anyone has yet conceived of) to "prove" or "disprove" the existence of a higher being. I agree with Silent Song--whether one believes in God or not, the decision is faith-based either way.

I've never seen, felt or experienced any evidence which would lead me to conclude that a super-being exists (I refuse to label it "he" as that implies the male gender - the possession of a penis. A reproductive organ would then dictate that a superbeing is one amongst many and procreates, therefore, not leaving it much higher than mankind; hence: not a god).

Also, a healthy understanding of human motivation & fear explains much when it comes to the existences of superbeings.

clarification: the "gender" of God as commonly called "He" and "Him" is derived from:

1. as those who believe that He is the Creator of humanity, He would then be the Father of humanity...

2. those who believe in Him also know that Jesus referred to God as Father both literally and figuratively. Jesus further established that God, though essentially genderless, would be referred to as "He" to make communication simpler and to represent the relationship between humanity and Him.

Silent Song said:
the inherent problem with this debate as you have phrased it is, there is not enough empirical evidence to prove he does exist, nor is there enough evidence to prove he does not exist. there is some evidence for both conclusions, but in order to reach a conclusion, one must place faith in the evidence which seems more compelling to their views. personally i believe he does exist. you can't prove me wrong, and i can't prove that he does exist either.

If you want empirical evidence that god exists, look around you, is that proof enough? Well i Mean god as consciousness not old man on the throne

Silver Incubus said:
If you want empirical evidence that god exists, look around you, is that proof enough?

Absolutley not.

Perhaps what we see around us is/was created by a race of aliens from another place and time. Or by monsters. Or by the members of Judas Priest.
Our surroundings offer no proof of super-beings or gods whatsoever.

SoundMaster said:
Silent Song said:
1. as those who believe that He is the Creator of humanity, He would then be the Father of humanity...
Why not then, "mother"?
Basically, this is due to the fact that during the invention of many of today's god stories, society was (and mostly still is) a male-dominated one.
why not? because of point 2.

I identify as agonostic, but agree that whether or not god(s) exist is a matter of personal faith, not scientific proof

but if I had to say I believe in something, this book rings true with me:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-9946460-3021653?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I find the idea of connectedness with every other thing fascinating, and my worldview is more akin to Asian philosophies than the monotheism of Islam, Christianity, and Judiasm

SoundMaster said:
Yep.
Which brings us back to the fact that term "it" is much more befitting of any deity of super-being.

Why humanize something which we claim to be "beyond human"?
because of point 2 in my opinion. of course non-christian theists would call God "it"

SoundMaster said:
Absolutley not.

Perhaps what we see around us is/was created by a race of aliens from another place and time. Or by monsters. Or by the members of Judas Priest.
Our surroundings offer no proof of super-beings or gods whatsoever.

Perhaps?

You obviously have never seen or felt the lifeforce of another creature on this planet. The different frequencies of energy are percieveable ya know.:cool:

Etaoin said:
I identify as agonostic, but agree that whether or not god(s) exist is a matter of personal faith, not scientific proof

Than, with that siad, there are a limitless number of deities in existence. All one needs is faith and the gods are real.

While faith can be great, proof still butters the bread. Heck, the debate would end immediately if one of the gods would step forward and offer all of he world undeniable proof of it's existence.

Does God exist? There is no reason for a God to be. So no. Of course as has been stated that can never be conclusively proven.

2. those who believe in Him also know that Jesus referred to God as Father both literally and figuratively. Jesus further established that God, though essentially genderless, would be referred to as "He" to make communication simpler and to represent the relationship between humanity and Him.

But Silent Song the Biblical Jesus never existed either. You can go a lot farther in proving Jesus never existed than God thats for certain.
http://www.atheists.org/christianity/didjesusexist.html
http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/camel.html