does solitude in nature exist anymore?

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
so lately ive been trying to find a place off in the woods that i can hide and write some music. however, with the outdoors suddenly being cool again, i'm hard pressed to find a place like this. hiking trails are flooded with people, and camp sites are packed. cars and drunk college kids ruin the atmosphere.

does peace and quiet exist outside of our own homes any more?

and to make it relevant to music, do you think this change has changed the was people write music?
~gR~

I dont think that many musicians actually wrote music in the nature before either, at least not in metal. I've read in an interview with Darkthrone about a question why they dont write about forests anymore, they said that when they wrote about forests they lived in the city, now when they actually do live on the countryside they dont have the need to do so anymore. I think the escapist quality can actually gain from not being in the place you think about when writing music.

Just because you go into a forest does mean you will be making ultra cult black metal music. Plus, the whole forest thing is a gimmick 90% of the time.

Yes, it does. It exists more in established communities in the north and northwestern areas/states. My family has one, and its nice when your stressed. Also, hunting cabins work nice.

Bon Iver wrote and released a record by himself when we went into a hunting cabin alone. Great somber singer-songwriter stuff. Interesting.

I dont think that many musicians actually wrote music in the nature before either, at least not in metal. I've read in an interview with Darkthrone about a question why they dont write about forests anymore, they said that when they wrote about forests they lived in the city, now when they actually do live on the countryside they dont have the need to do so anymore. I think the escapist quality can actually gain from not being in the place you think about when writing music.
Interesting.

My house is in a forest overlooking the ocean. All the solitude I require.
Rub it in why don't you:p

Interesting.

Rub it in why don't you:p

My pleasure.

DSCN1946.jpg

Same shot, winter time.

n1232460105_30243263_7259.jpg

Just because you go into a forest does mean you will be making ultra cult black metal music. Plus, the whole forest thing is a gimmick 90% of the time.

that really isnt the point...

but i know you enjoy being an asshole, so have fun.
~gR~

Looks like lucky zeph never has to mow a lawn. Theres a small forest across the road from my house that I walk in sometimes. Used to bmx out there, but not anymore.

Nice place Zeph. :kickass:

Yes there are plenty of places to get away in the woods. What you are looking for is technically termed a "wilderness". You will find that many national forests have specific areas designated for them. The rules are strict about leaving no trace, and there are no trails or established campsites. This is the real deal.

I have never met a single person in a wilderness area up here as most people hang out at campsites and near trails. I would suggest not going into one of these areas unprepared however.

Whats the point than? This sounds like "another metalhead trying to become in touch with nature to write ultra cult bm."

i write better in quiet, with no distractions.

a change in scenery thats quiet. nature used to be as quiet as it gets. that doesnt exist in many places anymore. just looking for a quiet place i can sit alone and write. not even my apartment can be quiet all the time (noisy upstairs neighbors)

i dont have a desire to write ultra kvlt black metal, and im not trying to get in touch with nature. me and nature have had many experiences and we're on good terms.
~gR~

I agree Never78, try going off an establish campsite/trail. You should also try consulting guidebooks for less traveled area. I visited Colorado Springs and it was a shitty town but the area around it was great. You seem to be an able outdoorsman so I doubt you'll have problems as long as you prepare adequately.