Don Kaye's new Maiden review

SoundMaster said:
That’s why, to my ears, Maiden and Priest have always complemented each other so well:
Priest is defined by guitar (Ian Hill, where the hell are you?!?) whereas Maiden is not.

I agree with this comment for sure. I would add though, that even though Maiden is not dominated by guitars, so to speak, within the larger structure they have ALWAYS had a unique guitar sound. Really, production aside, they've got THE guitar sound. It's weird really, because it is almost hyper-processed, but completely organic. Maybe it's the production, but you don't hear a lot of squeaks as the hands run up and down the strings etc., and there is something inhuman about that. But it works on a weird level. I'm sure Dave and Adrian would both say, more or less, that they just plug straight into the old Marshall....but I have done that myself, and I'm telling ya, that's NOT the sound that comes out, the Maiden sound. I suppose it's one to chalk up to the production of Martin Birch.....but for my money, Maiden has THE guitar sound. Also, as to Kevin Shirley and Steve Harris' production job...I would point out that things have really changed over the years, gear wise. Microphones are different, Marshalls are different, soundboards are different....and I'm serious when I say the only way to get the Piece of Mind sound, or The Number of the Beast sound, may actually be to go to the Bahamas (excluding NOTB here) and record on analog/tape equipment. I'm serious.....

Don Kaye's review said:
MAIDEN's records have never had a great, heavy, crunchy guitar sound and it's even more astounding now how watery they are with three axemen in the group.
Well, he got the first part right. Crunchy guitar riffs have not exactly been a staple in Maiden's past discography (although Piece of Mind had some crunchy parts). But this album is chocked full of crunchy guitar riffs that seemingly come out of nowhere! They are spattered throughout, and some of the greatest old school riffing I've heard in years. The guitar work is awesome on this album! It almost reminds me of Savatage's Poets and Madmen, how they keep changing throughout each song, sometimes mellow, sometimes so heavy I nearly melt in my seat. Poets had some of the greatest riffs I've ever heard, and this new Maiden displays that same awesomeness. Is awesomeness a word? :lol:

This album has already jumped up to #3 on my list for 2006 (with full potential to go higher), only behind Devin Townsend and Vanden Plas.

Seems the only thing that Don got right was the band's mix on the guitars. They've always sounded really midrangey and thin.

SoundMaster said:
If you take the BEST 5 songs from FOTD and 'No Prayer' and combine them, you still have the weakest Maiden album (aside from 'Virtual'):

Tailgunner
Holy Smoke
No Prayer
Afraid To Shoot
Public Enema
Childhood's End
Wasting Love
Judas
Mother Russia
Fear Of the Dark

No way in hell, buddy! :p
This tracklist (I'd add Be Quick to it) IMO beats every album they've released since FOTD...

kittybeast said:
Never trust anyone's review on music or movies. But seriously how much credibility can this reviewer have if he rated Metallica's St. Anger 8/10?
:zombie:
:lol:

SoundMaster said:
"The X Factor" owns "FOTD"!!!! :kickass:
No way. The title track alone blows X Factor out of the water not too mention Be Quick or Be Dead and Judas My Guide.

Pabla said:
Pfffftttttt, I never take reviews from BM seriously... have you all noticed that they usually give high marks to all the brutal music (death, black etc) and low marks to almost all traditional/power metal? :Smug:

I guess traditional metal is just not troo enough in their books.. (or however the hell you say it)

All hail the mighty Satan :rolleyes:

Edit: I am not downing brutal music BTW... I am a fan of some of it... I am just saying there is a bias

I agree. Although it's been a while since I've bought a copy of BW&BK (it's hard to justify $7.99 for a magazine with one page articles and color pictures), they are all about the extreme Metal. How they give high marks to some of that crap I just don't understand.

And they particularly bag on most Prog stuff (except Devin Townsend. He's from where?)