Don Nelson singing 'Random Acts Of Senseless Violence'

That's the thing - I love the thrash era...I just don't care for the vocals. Like those songs better with John...they actually have attitude and don't sound like a bad cartoon version of Bruce Dickinson but with less control of his voice.

The GOTE album is an embarrassment imo. But that's cool that you like those songs better than the originals. Personally I find it so bad that I can't even listen to it. Vocals aren't good, guitars are bad, production terrible. But to each their own. Those that think John Bush is some hardcore vocalist with an attitude are delusional. He is not the second coming of Phil Anselmo. When he does those "ooohhh's" and "yeahhhhhs" like on Keep It In The Family I want to throw up. He may not be as operatic but when singing the old Anthrax songs it just doesn't sound right. Shouldn't fuck with the originals. I wouldn't want Joey singing the John Bush era songs and re-recording them either.

I have to somewhat agree with IMF09 --- somewhat. I didn't care for GOTE either. It just didn't sound as good as the original versions, and to me it didn't sound as good as the way they sounded live with John singing those Joey era songs.

That's the thing - I love the thrash era...I just don't care for the vocals. Like those songs better with John...they actually have attitude and don't sound like a bad cartoon version of Bruce Dickinson but with less control of his voice.

Exactly. This is why I barely can listen to Among The Living these days, the music is great but the singing really annoys me.

Exactly. This is why I barely can listen to Among The Living these days, the music is great but the singing really annoys me.

But you think when John Bush sings those Among The Living songs it make that album better? Among the Living is one of the greatest thrash albums of all time. Joey is part of the reason why. I don't understand why people want to change an already classic albums sound. That is how Anthrax was back then. Should Phil Anselmo sing on old Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Overkill, Laaz Rocket, Heathen and other 80's metal albums to make them all sound the same? It is how many bands were back then (vocally). If you plug some modern day hardcore thrash type vocalist on that album it just wouldn't do it any justice and would make it sound like every other pseudo thrash band out today. John Bush is definetely not some hardcore thrash vocalist. His best work by far was with Armored Saint. Among The Living is unique in it's own way and doesn't need to be fucked with.

But you think when John Bush sings those Among The Living songs it make that album better? Among the Living is one of the greatest thrash albums of all time. Joey is part of the reason why. I don't understand why people want to change an already classic albums sound. That is how Anthrax was back then. Should Phil Anselmo sing on old Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Overkill, Laaz Rocket, Heathen and other 80's metal albums to make them all sound the same? It is how many bands were back then (vocally). If you plug some modern day hardcore thrash type vocalist on that album it just wouldn't do it any justice and would make it sound like every other pseudo thrash band out today. John Bush is definetely not some hardcore thrash vocalist. His best work by far was with Armored Saint. Among The Living is unique in it's own way and doesn't need to be fucked with.

I don't want to change the album sound, I'm just saying that I don't really listen to it. To be honest I barely listen to TGOTE either. When I want to hear "Caught In A Mosh", song I've heard a million times in a ten thousand versions, I mostly listen to the MOMD version.

Am I the only one who really digs TGOTE's sound? It's nice and raw, no tricks, one guitar left, the other right. The guitars could be a little sharper, but I still prefer a sound like that over any modern melodyne infected, drum triggered synthetic sounding production...

I generally would say that John does better on the Turbin tunes... but well, maybe it's just because I think Fistful is the best album Anthrax ever put out.

Another funny thing is, if you compare the orginal Panic version(s) to the TGOTE one, you can clearly see how Charlie improved his drumming...

Am I the only one who really digs TGOTE's sound?

I generally would say that John does better on the Turbin tunes... but well, maybe it's just because I think Fistful is the best album Anthrax ever put out.

i think thats kind of contradicting. If you thought fistfull of metal was the best album they ever put out, does that mean you didn't like the vocals? So that would mean you either didn't like it all that much, or you just really don't like the latter Anthrax material?

i personally can't stand that album, john bush ruins it for me more than the bad sounding guitars or anything else. it's not his fault per se. But I just can't handle listening to someone else sing the orignial vocalists songs. Even in Iron maiden I'd rather hear Paul Di'anno sing his era of Iron Maiden than Bruce. Anthrax is a classic band, one of the best Thrash bands ever.... just leave it at that... But scat wanted to put John Bush in there thinking the 'lion' would make those Joey era songs way better, but I think it ruined them.

Am I the only one who really digs TGOTE's sound? It's nice and raw, no tricks, one guitar left, the other right. The guitars could be a little sharper, but I still prefer a sound like that over any modern melodyne infected, drum triggered synthetic sounding production...

Another funny thing is, if you compare the orginal Panic version(s) to the TGOTE one, you can clearly see how Charlie improved his drumming...

I agree with you. I can understand how some like the old, thin, brittle chainsaw guitar sounds that they grew up with but I think the new ones sound a lot heavier and fuller, with more warmth. And Charlie's definitely a much better drummer than he was in the earlier days.

My only complaint with GOTE is that they mastered it way too loud. It distorts just as bad as Death Magnetic, which everyone blasts. Wonder if the vinyl version is mastered quieter.

i probably listened to it once,us anthrax fans will lap up anything in the way of new releases lol,gimmick grew tired very quickly,whole record was a waste of time.

TGOTE - i liked it a lot. I still do listen to it when im in the car...

Something about that re-vamped rendition of Gung-Ho ;)

now if my car only was built more like spy hunter ... traffic wouldn't be such an issue now would it ?

I like the album a lot, my problem is mostl with the guitar sounds. I think most of the new versions sound great!

It's pretty much a live album without the audience, so the trick is to not compare them with the originals. :)

i think thats kind of contradicting. If you thought fistfull of metal was the best album they ever put out, does that mean you didn't like the vocals? So that would mean you either didn't like it all that much, or you just really don't like the latter Anthrax material?

I don't like Joeys vocals... to put it that way. Anthrax with Bush is different, but I also like his vocals, but I think the later albums are musically not as good Fistful, IMHO. Fistful has something I'd call raw aggression which I really like. I think the Joey versions of these songs on Armed & Dangerous are weak.
And all Bush albums sadly always have some weak songs on it, so I consider Fistful the best. Not really contradicting, is it?

My only complaint with GOTE is that they mastered it way too loud. It distorts just as bad as Death Magnetic, which everyone blasts. Wonder if the vinyl version is mastered quieter.

The vinyl is better. Not really quiet, but less clipping.

i personally can't stand that album, john bush ruins it for me more than the bad sounding guitars or anything else. it's not his fault per se. But I just can't handle listening to someone else sing the orignial vocalists songs. Even in Iron maiden I'd rather hear Paul Di'anno sing his era of Iron Maiden than Bruce. Anthrax is a classic band, one of the best Thrash bands ever.... just leave it at that... But scat wanted to put John Bush in there thinking the 'lion' would make those Joey era songs way better, but I think it ruined them.

And don't you think "Man On The Edge" sounds better with Dickinson?