Don't Mourn The Dead In Blacksburg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really think that any of the first part of your post addressed my argument at all. I think you missed the point. Anyone after Nietzsche who refers to "the herd", it's obvious what the reference is to. Let's not pretend here. The previous history of the word is irrelevant to my argument. I'm just saying it's incredibly ironic and contradictory to think oneself an individual apart from "the herd" when one is just following someone else.

I think I've already had the discussion about assumptions and fuckups in this thread, but it bears repeating. "The Herd" is a common and well-understood reference to certain forms of group behavior, one with a long history before and after Nietzsche, a history in which Nietzsche plays, at most, a minor role. In fact, Nietzsche's usage of the term is itself an example of direct borrowing. He brought no new meaning to the phrase, he simply continued its use in the same context in which it had always appeared and in which it continues to be used to this day. "The herd" has never been a summation of a peculiarly Nietzchean viewpoint, but rather a common shorthand for certain patterns of social interaction. You're extrapolating a whole ideology out of two words, and that's sloppy thinking of the worst sort.

Bottom line: what I've suggested in this thread is 'Nietzschean' only in the sense that its basic method is dependent upon moving beyond taboos and social shibboleths to get at an issue on its own terms, rather than in terms framed by the dominant society. In other words, it's 'Nietzschean' only to the extent that ANY thought independent of socially received interpretations (you know, basically any viewpoint that diverges from the mainstream) is 'Nietzschean.' In practical fact, it's as close to 'independent' thought as is humanly possible, as it was arrived at by personal analysis free of reliance upon any single source for interpretive slant.

The second part of my post was in the context of this forum. It being a philosophy forum, it seems perfectly sane to me to think that we can all judge an argument for ourselves and don't need to be told what to do by you (what an incredibly presumptous thing to do, by the way).

And here I thought you were intelligent enough to understand the difference between a rhetorical device and actual compulsion. Obviously, I was wrong.

Anyways, I'm curious as to what your solution would be outside of this forum? How much control should a person be allowed to exert on another?

Depends on cases. Intelligent, capable people ought to exert quite a bit of control over those who are less capable - that's the basic principle behind all successful systems of government. The reverse, of course, is not true, which is why we're edging toward planetary extinction with the mob in the democracies enthusiastically pushing from behind.

Scourge is facing a sad intellectual barrier, in which his tiny yet potent testicles are preventing him from facing the facts that he is truly wrong about everything. It is difficult to actually find a balanced discussion on a forum in which black metal is the predominant genre of choice. I understand since he is in such a biased setting that he fails to see the other side of equation, however that does not excuse him from being so emo. I have concluded that there is no reasoning with him for several reasons:

1)He is a teenager, and therefore rebellious with probably minor levels of testosterone. He is thinking with his balls, and the balls are telling him he cant lose this debate, or risk shrinking them further into a state of nonexistence.

2)He is bitter due to an isolated self indulgence of negative propaganda, as well as most likely a terrible abusive social life .

3)I am thinking he has a problem with the intellect of others, probably brought on by being surrounded by smarter people in real life. Im guessing since you are so insecure about your own stupidity(although you have booksmarts in bullshit), you lack any formal secondary education, and so you use your knowledge in what little thigns you know, and try and argue to prove your points to make up for failed intellectual endeavours.

3)Because of the previous things, he is therefore unable to think of anything positive, for since he was cast into the dirt, so shall he do the same to his enemies(happy people).

Thats just my opinion. Go ahead and write a lengthy argument, insulting me and how my grade 10 insults are lame and based on nothing. Toughguy, lol! At last i know im right, even though you can cover me in useless bullshit a 12 year old can memorize. And by the way, if you are so smart how much money do you make? You got kids? A GF? Prolly not, you arent smart enough to get those things so quit claiming to be intellectually superior to others. And i know ppl say girls go for jerks alot, but not emo faggots,not that you are one ;)

If your argument is truly rational, then you won't have to tell anyone to follow it.

What is this, some kind of philosopher's morals? If his argument was intelligent & well thought out it matters not what the fuck the title of his thread was. It was obviously only pointing out the topic of the thread, also, not telling people how stupid they are for mourning the dead at all -- just an intelligent point as to why it is pointless & without merit.

Twas more provocational than intelligent. He was trying to get a rise outa ppl, thats all. Anyone fool can see.

(pseudo-Mod suggestion:Smug: )
Maybe it's time to kill(lock)this thread(all mourning is optional). Most have either missed the original point completely, or simply disagree with it so strongly on principle, no real debate is happening here...and things are taking a turn for the silly at this point.

Alternately, we could just remove MetalBooger from the conversation and let the adults have a discussion, ya know?

Naw, i agree with oldscratch that this is just a poor topic to talk about, ppl needlessly died and that sucks, simply put, dont need to call names or act like a toughguy, cuz its just disrespectful, and not very classy. Sorry scourge, will you do the christian thing and forgive me? Might make you feel better as well. Peace Dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.