Doom 2

Doom 2 is awesome. I remember some remake or mod that allowed you to play multiplayer (incl. split screen). I think it was called Doom 2 Legacy. Anyone played it? We should start a Sneap server :kickass:

:worship:

I love these early to mid-era ID games sooo much.

And I agree completely with Notuern. A lot of people were disappointed when Doom 2 went public because they were awaiting another quantum leap in appearance, what Quake ended up being.

But it's just so good. To me this THE FPS blueprint. Lots of younger folks can't really appreciate it since they've grown up with another era of FPS, but back then, it was a mindblowing experience.

I didn't have a PC myself in those days but my buddy's dad had and when I saw him running around with that chainsaw for the first time, I thought holy shit this looks sooo real! :lol:

If you too have fond memories of these ID games, I HIGHLY suggest this amazing book to you:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263824232&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263824232&sr=8-1[/ame]

I played the shit out of doom. And the original wolfenstein, and the first GTA..Those 3 games = no life outside of a computer for me for a longgg time

Yeah, the Doom soundtrack was based on famous metal tracks and that made the game much more badass than if they just used a creepy atmosphere soundtrack. I remember reading the whole process of the game creation on a book (I think it was called The Doom Bible). Doom II had more enemies, weapons and different levels. My favourite weapon was the rocket launcher. Explode the demons and walk around the carcass 2D sprite that never stops facing you was awesome. I really enjoyed Doom III too, altough it was a totally different beast, more related to Dead Space than with Doom I and II.

Incredible what an impact on, not only video game history, but also on contemporary pop art these bunch of nerds had:

id_coolguys.jpg

If you want a little inside scoop on the creation of Doom, then have a look at this video, posted by John Romero himself (you'll also see Bobby Prince working on the music):

http://vimeo.com/4022128

Hmm, you guys have definitely sparked my interest, I'll have to check it out! (don't really know how I will, or even if I'll be able to get it running on my computer though :erk: I'm on XP at least, that should help)

ID-software still has the REAL chainsaw that they photographed for Doom! :D
They borrowed it from a neighbor back in ~1990, but forgot to bring it back. :lol:

marcus if you have xbox they have the original doom on xbox arcade

Doom is played with a keyboard, unless you are a gay homosexual! >;/
I installed DosBox just to get that oldschool feel! :kickass:

Legacy works fine too.. but DosBox gave me real flashbacks, navigating through dos, seing that red line at start-up saying "Doom 2". :D
Oh man.. i have to replay this game now!

Doom is played with a keyboard, unless you are a gay homosexual! >;/
I installed DosBox just to get that oldschool feel! :kickass:

Then call me sally....I hatedddd using the keyboard...granted you get the vintage feel but im much calmer navigating with a controller then the arrow keys.

fuck I'm always keeping my "DOOM" folder on my computer. I have all versions inside, including legacy and the other one (don't remember its name). I even made levels personnally with the DOS editor. I can't count how many times I was scared because of some sounds (you know when it does "cgrkklll cgrrlll" sometimes. and the "waoooooo" sound of the doors... horrible)

Also, last levels of the doom 2 episodes were actually scary. I remember the "Styx river" was really gore, and what I loved, is that the more you reach the end, the more it gets gore, scary, and satanic. Epic

Shit this is giving so much nostalgia!! Fuck man! Doom, Doom2, Quake I and II, Warcraft I and II... AND WHO HERE FUCKIGN LOVED REDNECK RAMPAGE? BEST FPS IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't "Doom 2" just "Doom" with new maps and a double-barreled shotgun? I never played either of them really (my parents wouldn't let me :mad: ), but I remember thinking that was pretty lame for a sequel (maybe less so for the time it came out)

sort of

first they dropped doom...then doom II...then they came out with an add-on pack with a 4th world for doom, where you had to fight this giant fucking brain on spider legs with a chaingun mounted to it

shit was intense

then they came out with an add-on pack with a 4th world for doom, where you had to fight this giant fucking brain on spider legs with a chaingun mounted to it

You had to kill those in Doom 2 already.

Anyone remember the Wolfenstein secret levels from Doom 2? The military police dudes looked so small :lol: and due to the advancement of controls in Doom 2 as opposed to Wolfenstein, the Cyberdemon in the "last level" was pretty easy to kill as you could strafe fast and dodge the missiles, but my god did I almost piss my pants everytime when I went towards the back of the huge hall and suddently the door just opened and this cyberdemon comes out releasing a hellish growl :lol: I never reached those levels without cheating though.

When you completed those levels, you went back to the Suburbs, but with the sky turned red.

By the way, anyone remember the level changing cheat in Doom 2? I seem to have forgot that one, but I know all the other cheats by heart :lol: :lol: not that I use them anymore, but when it got too scary as a kid, you just had to cheat...