Doom 2

thats a great idea.
ill be idkfa'ing just like old times!
although idspispopd changed to idclip in doom 2

You had to kill those in Doom 2 already.

Its the final boss in Doom 1. ;)
It re-appears in the final level of Ultimate Doom as well.. and map 22(i think.) in Doom 2, standing on a pillar next to a cyberdemon(If you died on this map you had to beat them both with shotgun! :D).

Anyone remember the Wolfenstein secret levels from Doom 2? The military police dudes looked so small :lol: and due to the advancement of controls in Doom 2 as opposed to Wolfenstein, the Cyberdemon in the "last level" was pretty easy to kill as you could strafe fast and dodge the missiles, but my god did I almost piss my pants everytime when I went towards the back of the huge hall and suddently the door just opened and this cyberdemon comes out releasing a hellish growl :lol: I never reached those levels without cheating though.

When you completed those levels, you went back to the Suburbs, but with the sky turned red.

Yeah, those where awesome! :D
I remember that in Doom 95 it was possible killing the Cyberdemon with one BFG shot, by running in a 45 degree angle and launching a shot at the right time, it seemed to multiply the damage.
When you run in a 45-degree angle in Doom(And all games to ~2000.), your speed increased because your forwardmotion was multiplied with your sideway motion! :)

By the way, anyone remember the level changing cheat in Doom 2? I seem to have forgot that one, but I know all the other cheats by heart :lol: :lol: not that I use them anymore, but when it got too scary as a kid, you just had to cheat...

idclev [0-32]

Its the final boss in Doom 1. ;)
It re-appears in the final level of Ultimate Doom as well.. and map 22(i think.) in Doom 2, standing on a pillar next to a cyberdemon(If you died on this map you had to beat them both with shotgun! :D).

ohh man that's right. Yeah that level in Doom 2 is awesome :D I always get them to fight each other, but the spider never wins :(

Actually, if I died, I just always reloaded my game. I should try beating the game without saving at all. Might prove frustrating though, at least on harder difficulty settings.

Yeah, those where awesome! :D
I remember that in Doom 95 it was possible killing the Cyberdemon with one BFG shot, by running in a 45 degree angle and launching a shot at the right time, it seemed to multiply the damage.
When you run in a 45-degree angle in Doom(And all games to ~2000.), your speed increased because your forwardmotion was multiplied with your sideway motion! :)

Haven't put those in use really, but I've noticed them. My brother uses them to his advantage all the time :lol:

idclev [0-32]

thanks!

ohh man that's right. Yeah that level in Doom 2 is awesome :D I always get them to fight each other, but the spider never wins :(

Actually, if I died, I just always reloaded my game. I should try beating the game without saving at all. Might prove frustrating though, at least on harder difficulty settings.!

Yeah, its a bitch getting through the tougher levels without any real weapons(Thankfully enough, most of the weapons can be found on the maps later in the game.).
Ive actually killed the cyberdemon with the use of 50 pistol shots and a shitload of punching the shit out of him! :lol:

Then again, i am the biggest Doom-nerd on the planet.. i actually managed to play through the first map in doom in 11 seconds, backwards.... with my screen turned of(I am dead serious.). :lol:

Haven't put those in use really, but I've noticed them. My brother uses them to his advantage all the time :lol:!

Its really only useful if you want to speedrun or "jump".
The rocket thing only works in Doom 95 i think, cant remember using it on original Doom or legacy.
Another thing you can do is to activate lookspring! :D
You run by pulling our mouse forward, and the faster you pull it, the faster you move:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has inspired me to go play it all over again.
I'll play all the Doom engine game WADs if I can

Get Zdoom - probably the best source port out there. Really brings the engine up a few notches, and it's nice to play at larger resolutions. I haven't really dug any of the GL source ports though, the nicer lighting effects always look weird against the sprites/textures.

I've been using the Doomsday engine as my Doom engine source port.
I used to use Doom Legacy, but they just stopped updating it one day, so I moved onto Doomsday and couldn't be happier.
That said, I haven't played Doom since about 6 months ago, so I don't even know if Doomsday has been updated since then

Edit : looks like they have been working on Doom Legacy lately actually, surprised about that

I actually find the game more immersive with modern source ports, because all the lighting effects seem to help to hold my interest for longer playing days and I just find it easier and less fatiguing with the higher screen resolutions too

I also use ZDoom, although I don't use any enhancements in it. Just try to put it as original as possible.

ZDoom even allows you to jump if you want :puke:

I actually find the game more immersive with modern source ports, because all the lighting effects seem to help to hold my interest for longer playing days and I just find it easier and less fatiguing with the higher screen resolutions too

Yeah, i usually play it through Legacy.
But i installed DosBox just for those oldschool vibes, and it gave me huge flashbacks!
I felt just like i did when i played it as a kid! :)

I´m using zDoom and liking it a lot. There are some minor (and good!) tweaks like the rocket trail and blood on the walls, but they´ve kept the awesome lo-fi vibe. Really enjoyed the mouse and widescreen support. I´m having a blast with this thing. The mouse look support on zDoom really enhanced the experience for me.

I remember the shareware containing only 1st episode of DOOM I was preinstalled on my first PC computer. I shitted in my pants.

I understand those who run dosbox. When you pressed enter after writing "doom", you had the sprit-ty intro screen with its music, and the shotgun sound when you hit enter in the menu. Just so scary at that time... !