DOOM metal?

Jan 3, 2003
Sydney
hey kids, question for those who like their music with a touch of depression.....
anyone know of any good doom metal bands\albums??
ive never really got into my dying bride kinda stuff, im thinking more stuff from bands like DARK SUNS, RAPTURE, RAIN PAINT, etc, etc,.....
anyone got any ideas???

Doom metal is considerably more melodic than Death metal and the subject matter usually has to do with dealing with loss or love. The tempo is a lot slower as well...Paradise Lost Anathema and My Dying Bride's first albums are good examples of the two combined (i.e. deathdoom).

As far as recommendations (based on the bands you listed):
Anathema - The Silent Enigma (their sound has varied throughout their career but this is the closest to Rapture/StS/etc...)
October Tide - Grey Dawn (although you would probably like Rain Without End...it's a lot darker than Grey Dawn)
Agalloch - The Mantle (not really doom, but has a lot of the same elements as your aforementioned bands)
Katatonia - Sounds of Decay would probably appeal to you as well

Doom metal is a huge genre with a spectrum of sounds and there's a ton of bands that are worth checking out...some personal favorites are:

Paramaecium - Exhumed of the Earth
Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress and Shades of...
Tiamat - Clouds

www.doom-metal.com could really help you with any questions.

If you like Rapture, you need to check out two releases by Katatonia: Brave Murder Day (my favorite album of all time, next to MAYH), and Sounds of Decay. Those two releases mirror Rapture's sound almost exactly (minus the clean vocals, for the most part) and they were what influenced them to write the music that they did. Besides, both of those releases have Mikael Akerfeldt on lead vocals, so for that fact alone you owe it to yourself to check them out...IMHO, BMD contains some of Mikael's finest vocal moments (i.e. the 13 second scream in Brave). So do yourself a favor and listen to 'em. You may just end up liking the hell out of it.

If you like Doommetal or if you just want to hear a very, very good metal cd plz listen to Swallow the Sun "The morning never came". Its one of the few records that has really impressed me the last couple of months. It rocks! (the other being Capharnaum "Fractured", the best technical metal since Deaths "Human" or Cynic, nothing even comes close!).:hotjump: