Doom/Stoner/Sludge Metal

sonofhendrix13

some loser
Jul 1, 2004
Gloucester, MA
I don't think doom metal gets recognized enough on this forum. But I myself am a big fan of the genre. What are your favorite doom/stoner/sludge bands/albums? I'd have to say my favorites are:

Electric Wizard
Abdullah
Aarni
Candlemass
High on Fire

I like some Doom Metal although I reckon I should get into it abit more. I listen to Esoteric, Khanate, My Dying Bride mainly. Sun O))) is supposed to be good, so that's going to be next on my list.
I've heard Electric Wizard and Abdullah. They're both great. I still want to hear Candlemass though.

Church of Misery
Slow Horse
Acid Bath

Those are the more "stoner" doom bands I listen to, though I want to check out Orange Goblin and Acrimony.

As far as other types of doom, funeral doom is probably my favorite with bands like Skepticism, Thergothon, Until Death Overtakes Me, Catacombs, and perhaps Esoteric.

Evoken is pretty good as well, and Arcane Sun rules.

Recently I've been loving: Doomsword, Orodruin, Solstice, Pelican, Solitude Aeturnus, Reverend Bizarre, Rwake, Morgion, Paul Chain, Mare and Shape of Despair.

The bands I listen most to are Anathema, Forest Stream, Forest of Shadows & MDB. I loved Rapture's first album, but their second was a huge disappointment.

Esoteric's new album was worth every penny.

Seeing High on Fire soon hopefully.

A few that haven't been mentioned:
Ceremonium
Eyes of Ligeia
Nortt (if you're counting them)
diSEMBOWELMENT (and again)

Of course early Cathedral, and the already mentioned Skepticism and Esoteric, MUST be checked out.

How does Paradise Lost compare to MDB and Anathema? They're always lumped together.

I hope I don't sound too stupid here, but I hate to see doom and stoner placed together. I see very little similarity between the two besides being slow. I haven't listened to a lot of either genre, but they seem to be extremely different in terms of atmosphere, ideology, etc. I might as well start a death/black metal thread, since both are fast.

Extreme:

Skepticism
Esoteric
Eyes of Ligeia
Mournful Congregation
Funeralium
Bunkur
Buried At Sea
Indesinence
Reclusiam
Winter
Thergothon
Worship
Nortt (you could argue he is BM)
Evoken
Funeral (earlier albums)
Hierophant
Mar De Grises
Solicide
Pantheist
Unholy
Wormphlegm
Until Death Overtakes Me

...ad nauseaum

More Traditional Bands:

Reverend Bizarre
Black Sabbath
Pahan Altar
Saint Vitus
Candlemass
Solitude Aeternus
Thunderstorm
Count Raven
Slow Horse
Doomsword
Krux
Orodruin
Mirror of Deception
Solstice
Warning
While Heaven Wept

...ad nauseaum

I wont list any stoner except Kyuss, YOB, and Dead Meadow since they rule.

...and so many more plus other tremendous bands who aren;t doom per se but may have elements of it present w/i their music like Arcane Sun, Empyrium, Estatic Fear, etc...

Let There Be Doom

KMADD said:
Where I live there are couple of good stoner metal bands here in the Naptown
The Gates Of Slumber and Devil To Pay really throw down the good stoner metal
riffs!!!

You say that to the members of The Gates of Slumber and they would probably kick your ass for calling them stoner. :lol:

MasterOLightning said:
I hope I don't sound too stupid here, but I hate to see doom and stoner placed together. I see very little similarity between the two besides being slow. I haven't listened to a lot of either genre, but they seem to be extremely different in terms of atmosphere, ideology, etc. I might as well start a death/black metal thread, since both are fast.

Well, the argument being that both genres splintered from the same place: Black Sabbath.

There are "stoner" doom bands such as Slow Horse, Electric Wizard, Church of Misery, Warhorse, and half the Southern Lord roster who took the BS style of doom and just made it heavier and perhaps more psychadelic.

Stoner bands: Kyuss, Monster Magnet, etc.
Stoner doom: Electric Wizard, Sleep, Church of Misery
Doom: Skepticism, Mar de Grises, Winter

:)

I haven't listened to doom in a while....but my two favorites are Electric Wizard and Sleep. I'll get some Orange Goblin and Warhorse sometime.

Kyuss, Warhorse, 500 Ft. of Pipe, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Hermano, Sleep, Orange Goblin, Candlemass, Esoteric, disEMBOWELMENT, High on Fire, Electric Wizard, Nebula, and Cathedral....all totally rule.

And don't forget motherfucking FUUUUUUUUUU MANCHUUUUUUUUUUU........

But anyways I agree with J. on everything he mentioned in his reply to the same post as I.

Also, before anyone asks, the difference between stoner and sludge is often in the guitar tone.

Pelican is heavy post-rock mixed with elements of doom metal. Not stoner or sludge, or even really doom for that matter.