Doom/Stoner/Sludge Metal

I'm pretty sure you wont find many people who think Opeth are doom, though they do get labled as 'MDB gone gothenburg' sometimes that's probably because of the atmosphere and the slow pace rather than the actual music. If you want a good introduction to various types of Doom you could do worse than check out:

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

*is just stealing bands from J's list*

Doomcifer said:
You say that to the members of The Gates of Slumber and they would probably kick your ass for calling them stoner. :lol:
Nah! I actually know Karl from Gates and he's a cool dude besides Steve
from Devil To Pay would hold him back! There both Melody Inn and Alley Cat
friends of mine. :D

Crowbar or Soilent Green (they're sludge partially at least) anyone?

By the way, has anybody listened to their latest album?

Freanan said:
I am just getting into this subgenre, so i only know two actual doom bands (+OPeth if that counts): My Dying Bride has great moments but is to whiny in general. Uneartly Trance is very good.

Opeth ain't doom, friend.

Unearthly Trance rules, yeah.

Some favourites

Eyehategod
Iron Monkey
Electric wizard
Sleep/OM
Acid Bath
Cavity
Bongzilla
Rwake
Grief
Leechmilk
Early Melvins
Buried At Sea
Buzzov*en
Weedeater
Down

And of course Black Sabbath!!

h dh
Necro Joe said:
I'm pretty sure you wont find many people who think Opeth are doom, though they do get labled as 'MDB gone gothenburg' sometimes that's probably because of the atmosphere and the slow pace rather than the actual music. If you want a good introduction to various types of Doom you could do worse than check out:

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

*is just stealing bands from J's list*

I am actually planning to buy Dopethrone...

I am also interrested in the following bands, but i do not really know them yet:
Thergothon
Disembowelment
Khanate

Freanan said:
I am also interrested in the following bands, but i do not really know them yet:
Thergothon
Disembowelment
Khanate

Thergothon are widely considered to be one funeral-doom’s most prominent bands with their debut Stream from the Heavens.

Disembowelment are also another legendary band in the genre of doom metal. Their full-length, Transcendence into The Peripheral displayed droning death metal with clean guitar passages to create an oppressive and crushing atmosphere.

I'm yet to hear Khanate.

It's surprising no one has mentioned Unholy. All of their releases are worth a look. Evoken's stuff is all pretty similar. It's all of good quality, but their are other doom/death bands I'd rather listen to, for example Mourning Beloveth or early Morgion. And I'd have to agree that Esoteric shits on Evoken.

Mindrot is a very good band if you don't mind some crust doom. Their Dawning album is mindblowing.

Esoteric is overrated. Their melodies are a dime-a-dozen. Evoken > Esoteric.

Freanan said:
h dh

I am actually planning to buy Dopethrone...

Thergothon
Disembowelment
Khanate

Dopethrone is probably my all time favorite doom cd. You should definately buy it.