Double-Quad tracking guitars?

cundalini

New Metal Member
Jan 25, 2009
Im new to recording so bear with me. When you guys double-quad track guitars are you actually recording the same thing 2-4 times? I ask this cause I seem to be having a problem syncing everything together. Also there's a feature in Reaper that allows you to duplicate a chosen track which seems MUCH easier but maybe Im unaware of why I wouldnt want to do this?

Im new to recording so bear with me. When you guys double-quad track guitars are you actually recording the same thing 2-4 times?
Yes
I ask this cause I seem to be having a problem syncing everything together.
You need to rehearse your playing so that you can play tight enough.
Also there's a feature in Reaper that allows you to duplicate a chosen track which seems MUCH easier but maybe Im unaware of why I wouldnt want to do this?
You don't want to do that because it is not even remotely the same thing as multiple performances. It won't sound good, since the sum of the two tracks is the same as just having a single performance in the middle (mono). It won't make the sound nice and wide, like proper multitracking does.

There is no substitute for good, tight playing. When I first started recording, I was under the impression that I could just duplicate the tracks in the recording software like you mentioned, but I was informed by a friend that it's actually the little inconsistencies in your playing between the different tracks, that give it that nice thick chunky sound you're looking for.

Something else you'll want to look out for too...the more tracks you have, the less gain you'll want on your guitars when tracking them, because the gain layers up onto of itself and everything will turn to much, so a good general rule is to have the gain set so you can still hear the thud of your palm mutes and still be able to play well, and no more than that.

Hope that helps...

Another good method is to first set the gain to whatever you like and record it. Then set your gain 2 notches lower and record 2 or 4 (depending on how many you want to use in the end) tracks with the lower gain and see how it compares to the gain level of the single track. Try to match the level of gain to the original single track. When the gain level is the same with the multiple lower gain tracks, that's your sweet spot. But of course, within reason. If your original tone is too gainy, then it's not so good.

Ok I understand. I guess Ill just have to practice at getting better at it.

I have another question while we're at it. How do you guys setup your daw for each individual track...I believe its called the "chain"...so when I attempt to, lol... record, I will arm a track in Reaper then go into my plugins and load, Gate,TSS,Wagner Sharp,Boogex, all on/in one track. Is what Im doing correct?

I also see just about everyone who has a Tone/Sound thats good is using CurveEQ which I have but if I load this in the chain I have significant Latency. So how are you guys doing it??? I dont think its my machine...Q9650, 4gb of 1066, 2 500gb hds.

You can setup a group channel/buss whatevers it's called in reaper with your plugs which your individual tracks are bussed to.

It's not a real-time plugin. Just disable it while you track, and then enable it for playback.

Aahh I see, great that works. Could you point me in the right direction for how I would set up a group channel/buss whatever it's called in reaper? Or tell me why I would or would not want to do this? I

Another good time saver is to save that track with your plugins as a template. Then you just right-click and insert it - everthings all setup. BAM!

With some plugins it doesn't work properly though. Strangely it mostly seems to be an issue with impulse-related plugins, I've found. Sometimes KeFIR doesn't actually load an impulse even though it lists the name, sometimes SIR1 mutes the track until you remove and reinsert the plugin manually, and things like that.

Nope, if it's the same performance, it'll still sound like a big mono guitar part (though less than if you were to still use the same takes, but still unacceptable IMO). And I've always been fine with one take L, one take R!