Down with the no repeat rule!!

Oh I forgot to mention at the beginning you are only allowed to post in my thread if you agree with me. SORRY!!

;)

Kidding of course! I don't really think bands should repeat every year. Of COURSE that is a horrible business decision. I just really, really wouldn't mind seeing many of the bands again because they kick SO much ass. Mercenary, CM, FK, & JORN all included. VD was AMAZING too! I really didn't have a band this year I didn't enjoy at all. Don't care for Epica on CD but they put on a great show.

I wish Mercenary released a CD every 6 months. I'm ready for a new one already!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Girl Tess said:
I wish Mercenary released a CD every 6 months. I'm ready for a new one already!!!!!!!!!!

I wish Mercenary played a show nearby my house every 6 days... I'm ready for another one already!

I don't mind the current rule, every 3 years (that's the new rule if I remember isn't it????) isn't too bad although honestly I could see Evergrey up there every year. The problem with bringing most of these bands back is they never seem to hold up to their previous performances....which possibly is a result of nobody knowing what to expect and then everybody now expecting them to hold up to that standard they originally set. There's a lot of bands that only get to play over here cause of progpower so....why not have them back once in a while.

Bringing lower slots back to progpower so soon should only happen as it has with the preparty. That way they get a longer set time and it doesn't affect the line up of the main festival. Having said that, I don't think that the pre-party should become a reprise of the previous year's PP, maybe just limit it it to one band a year.

BlindPanzer said:
Bringing lower slots back to progpower so soon should only happen as it has with the preparty. That way they get a longer set time and it doesn't affect the line up of the main festival. Having said that, I don't think that the pre-party should become a reprise of the previous year's PP, maybe just limit it it to one band a year.

I agree. Basically what we've had with Dreamscape and Circus Maximus the past two years has been an encore performance. I think each year one of the lower slots that just totally slays at the main festival should get the chance to come back as an encore at the pre-party. This year Freak Kitchen and Vision Divine were the two biggest surprises so either of them would make a perfect encore. I also wouldn't mind Pyramaze, Thunderstone or Savage Circus (with Thomen this time).

As for the no repeats rule for the main festival, I think that should stand. However I have no problem with bands that are huge favorites with the majority of the audience like Evergrey, Edguy, Symphony X, ect. returning every couple of years as they put out new albums. I thought Edguy's Rocket Ride and Brainstorm's Liquid Monster were awesome and would have loved to get the chance to see them do material from that this year.

woosta said:
Make room for Pretty Maids, Running Wild, Fate, Freedom Call, Iron Savior, Crematory, Entwine, Helloween, Firewind, Sinner, Sinergy, and all the Prog bands that folks there like. I don't need to see Evergrey 4 times, Zero Hour 2 times, Edguy 2 times, etc. We can do that on PP20 with some repeats.

While I would love to see most of the bands you mentioned as well as Primal Fear, Gotthard, Nocturnal Rites, Sonata Arctica and others, I still think there should be returns as well as long as the band is a huge crowd favorite and they have a killer new album out. As long as bands like Evergrey, Edguy, Symphony X, ect continue to put out great new albums and most importantly sell tickets to the fest, I think Glenn should have them back as many times as he wants to. Also remember, not everyone has had the opportunity to go every year. For some, this was their first chance to see Evergrey. Each year's bands should be a good mix of first timers and veterans. That's the best formula.

The only band that I'd like to see come back is Superior. They should have gotten more than just the opening slot. I was so disappointed in that.

Jason

I'd love to see Rage again, but I agree with another poster who said there's lots of other good bands that deserve a chance to play!

Has there been a PP where there was no repeat band anyway?

Glenn changed it to 'once every three years' at most......but has hinted that, at times, he might bend the rule with good cause.

Sooooo, it's been two years. Therion for PPUSA VIII. Exclusive US show, etc. :headbang: :worship:

But since that might be impossible...hell, I'd be happy to see FK, Mercenary, VD or Epica back again next year. :kickass:

And TheLongshot, I totally agree about Superior.

I don't mind a certain gap between when groups come back. 2 or 3 years is fine. Some groups should come back every few years. I don't think it would be good if any of the Fri-Sat bands come back already next year. Unless it is the pre-party. I don't go to that, so I don't really care who plays then.

It would be good if Vision Divine comes back after a few more albums under their belt. Savage Circus needs 2 or 3 albums before they can come back. Thunderstone would be welcome as well as Epica. FK would be fun to see again. I really like Evergrey, but maybe they should wait a little while longer to return. They have already played this event 4 times. It would be hard to bring back headliners though. Where would you put them? Would they be a headliner again? Or could they come back in a lesser position. They might be a bruise on their ego. I personally wouldn't want Mercenary back. Not my cup of tea or beer.

How about if popular bands come back but only do the pre-party? That leaves the two days for new bands to play, get exposure, but still lets some old favorites back. For example, Freak Kitchen. I mean, doesn't exactly fit in with the other bands, but very entertaining, and I'm sure they would rock at the pre-party. Have CM close it out, they did fucking rock.

Bear said:
Maybe two or three on your list I like. The things is we all have different taste and yeah your right there is an entire globe of music out there..

I think there should be a best of PPUSA at some point, just not yet...Maybe at PPUSA X

Bear

No, see, you're missing the point. I wasn't listing bands to say "I want those" although I do. I was just ripping off a dozen or so bands right off the top of my head to say that it would be easy to fill PP with great bands no matter the genre without repeating.

As for "my taste" vs "your taste", Freak Kitchen was the band for about 4 of us on this board and everyone pissed and moaned about their indifference to the band playing here. Now they've played and the last time I looked at the poll, they had 38 votes for best of show. What that says is that people need to shut their mouths with the whining and TRY, JUST FUCKING TRY something new. They may actually be impressed. Or, I guess we could spin the same 20 cds and see the same 20 bands for infinity. Talk about killing the scene! It's not good and we've had proof of the power in mixing it up by having Freak Kitchen here.

I would be willing to go with certain bands coming back in the headline slot only. That way I can leave if I don't like them and I don't feel I'm missing anything (ie this year). That would be ok, so everyone can have their Evergreys or whatever. It actually worked out nicely this year to know that the #4s were my headliners and you all got to enjoy Jorn and Everygrey some more. That worked for me.

...tess...you are so the troublemaker...:loco: .

...ummm...i really don't care who plays.......just as long as someone does and progpower goes on and on and on...(like the energizer bunny)...it is just so cool to see bands i have never heard of...

...i am so in my element here and i love the atmosphere...and the peeps :headbang:

Add a 3rd night of the festival for just repeat bands and have the pre-party on Wednesday. That way, if you are not interested in the repeat bands, stay home another day and still have a great line up to look forward to :) If the pre-party is just too good to miss, you could always just hang out in Atlanta on Thursday and rest up for the weekend shows.

:kickass:

I know, Glenn would never go for it, but I would :)

:headbang:

Well, there's always the pre-party they can repeat at if everyone is sick of the main festival performances. There really are a lot of bands out there who deserve the chance to wow us- look at how this festival puts unknowns or little knowns in the spotlight. Shit, they must sell thousands of dollars in merch after they play...can't get a bigger push anywhere else than what Glenn can give!
Maybe the other bands can just come and visit so Tess will be happy???

I'll put it simply.

In the past there were great acts people wanted to return. If they returned, you might not have seen Circus Maximus the first time. Nor perhaps other great acts, nor perhaps Mercenary again (who I would have liked more, had not the bass drowned out their melody at times). Either way, I love hearing/seeing new bands. So I'd rather that the repeats be kept to a minimum. Especially ones form last year. I don't count the PreParty... so if Mercenary was brought back for the Pre-Party that's fine. Circus Maximus, as much as I really loved their set, I'd rather see them have a year break from PPUSA (doesn't mean they can't tour the states with.. oh I don't know.. Pyramaze?), and then come back the following year after having put out a disc.