Down with the no repeat rule!!

I want to keep the no-repeat policy.

Simply because, there are so many bands out there I want to see, and so many bands that I don't even know about, but will be suprised to see. And the no-repeat policy allows everyone a chance to come to Atlanta.

It also allows bands to release an album, come to Atlanta, then do their usual touring and festivals across the world, get time off, write a new album, and come back to promote that new album.

As much as I loved Vision Divine and Freak Kitchen, I wouldn't want them back next year. I'd love to see them again, in two or three years.

It's a fair policy, and forces us to discover new bands like Freak Kitchen and Epica and Symphorce and all those other bands I had no idea about until arriving at this festival. I wouldn't want to attend this festival with a roster that I'm already 100% familiar with. I like the suprises. Freak Kitchen was a perfect example.

The policy allows for rotation time. Keep it how it is.

I don't mind repeats, because if you're good then you're good. There's alot of bands out there that I wouldn't mind seeing come back and then there are some that's never been to the festival before.

I'd like to see Nocturnal Rites, Dionysus, At Vance, Within Temptation, Leave's Eyes, and Saviour Machine make appearances sometime though.

I agree with woosta. There are tons and tons of bands out there. I don't see any reason to bring back bands in back to back years.

It's very cool that you enjoyed so many of the bands from this year. But what about those who didn't?

Zod

Entrerie said:
Can never get enough Edguy espcially if there is new material. Just imagine seeing Tobias perform "Judas at the Opera House" live. Holy shit!!!

Well, yeah, but Edguy will be doing a proper US tour, so what is the point of having them at the fest? (when there are so many bands already mentioned who have never been to the states or who don't come often).

Glenn's window of opportunity for DragonForce has passed. They're selling out venues across the country. They're too big for this festival. And if he booked them, he'd end up with a completely different crowd than any other year.

Zod

General Zod said:
Glenn's window of opportunity for DragonForce has passed. They're selling out venues across the country. They're too big for this festival. And if he booked them, he'd end up with a completely different crowd than any other year.

Zod

Oh I know that. Since I'm more on the thrash/ death metal side of things I couldn't come up with a fairly well known name that quickly... but on the same side of the coin: Nevermore is HUGE as well. :)

It was so great to see you too! I missed hanging out with you guys!

-Metal

General Zod said:

Zod

I wonder how many DragonForce fans out there would be willing to pay the money it costs for PP just to see them. Sure, for locals it might be different. But how many would travel across country to see a band that is hitting most major cities anyway? They may end up losing some drawing power due to over-exposure in the longrun.

I like the 'no more than every 3 years, but you can bring em back once for the pre-party' routine that seems to have fallen into place..after attending enough of these shows (remember, some of us have been to every single one), there are some bands that some folks are just not going to want to see over and over and over.

Bad Girl Tess said:
OK so it looks like we all agree so then CM & Mercenary can come back. Yay!

I'm cool with that...I'd love to see Circus Maximus again, and if having Mercenary back is the price I pay to get CM back, I'm completely OK with that. :p

Besides, I need *some* time to get dinner and browse the vendor tables. :heh:

Craig

woosta said:
....Freak Kitchen was the band for about 4 of us on this board and everyone pissed and moaned about their indifference to the band playing here. Now they've played and the last time I looked at the poll, they had 38 votes for best of show. What that says is that people need to shut their mouths with the whining and TRY, JUST FUCKING TRY something new. They may actually be impressed. Or, I guess we could spin the same 20 cds and see the same 20 bands for infinity. Talk about killing the scene! It's not good and we've had proof of the power in mixing it up by having Freak Kitchen here.

Agreed 200%.

I was really worried that FK wouldn't draw too well, based on all the lackluster comments here about needing time to go to the vendors' area, etc. Basically similar to Therion last year, when there was also a lot of indifference here on the forum. We all saw the end result of that, too. With FK it's even more pronounced, though, since they're actually leading both headliners in votes, whereas Therion didn't quite clean up as much. :)

I haven't knowingly skipped out on a band's set at PP in three years. Sometimes I've been late, sometimes I've had other things that HAD to happen (like Mercenary's autographing, which caused me to miss most of VD's excellent-sounding set this year).......but there's always a chance a band that you're not familiar with, or that you were iffy on, will surprise you or kick your ass. Especially at this fest, where the level of musicianship is always so consistently high.

Intentionally missing a band at PPUSA is like throwing a rock through one panel of an otherwise stunning stained-glass window.

I only like the no repeat rule because it eliminates bias. Of course I loved Freak Kitchen and Epica this year and Orphaned Land and Therion last year. I would love to see any of those bands again at ProgPower, but I would not like the rules to change just so that could happen.

Let's face it, the forum posters make up a fraction of the people who actually come to ProgPower each year, and it is the responsibility of Glenn and the rest of the people who run the show to make sure that the fest is new and exciting each year. I can list at least 15 bands off the top of my head that would be excellent choices for future ProgPowers (Elvenking being at the top of the list for me!).

There's simply too many great bands out there that haven't even been to the United States before that would fit right in here. There are only 10 spots each year. If even TWO of them are taken up by repeat bands, that lowers the possibility of bands new to the US by 20%.

I'm all for encore sets in the pre-party show, however. If one of the bands that played superbly in the recent past is invited to the preshow, I'm all for it. However, for the main fest, the rules are appropriate.

I think that every rule has it's exception once in awhile for sure, but when there are such amazing bands that really need to come to this festival like BEYOND TWILIGHT, SPHERIC UNIVERSE EXPERIENCE, CLOUDSCAPE, ASCENSION THEORY, PROTOTYPE, SHINING STAR, AVIAN, KATAGORY V, MOONLIGHT AGONY, EYEFEAR, DEADLY SIN....(yes these are just some examples from my label, and obviously there are a lot of great labels with a lot of other great bands.....) But I think my point is made....I personally would love to see PAGANS MIND, I missed them when they were there last ; )

MEGALOUD said:
I think that every rule has it's exception once in awhile for sure, but when there are such amazing bands that really need to come to this festival like <SNIP> SHINING STAR, AVIAN, <SNIP>
Gee, interesting band selections there :heh:

Just kidding you. Pyramaze was amazing, and we'd love to have you back in any incarnation!

Steve in Philly

woosta said:
I TOTALLY disagree! There is an entire globe of music out there and there should not be repeats, particularly multiple times like Evergrey, when we're only on PP7. There's just too goddamned much to limit ourselves to 20 bands. No good for me.

Make room for Pretty Maids, Running Wild, Fate, Freedom Call, Iron Savior, Crematory, Entwine, Helloween, Firewind, Sinner, Sinergy, and all the Prog bands that folks there like. I don't need to see Evergrey 4 times, Zero Hour 2 times, Edguy 2 times, etc. We can do that on PP20 with some repeats.

I'm somewhere in the middle. There are some bands that I've seen before that I'd love to see again (even some that I've seen multiple times that I'd love to see again). But I don't know if I like the idea of it being like a sporting event where we might have the same five or 6 bands back year after year. That would get totally boring.
It would start to feel like, "Oh it's just another ProgPower. Ho hum. Circus Maximus, Evergrey, Angra, Circle II Circle and Edguy playing AGAIN. I guess I'd rather save the money and go to Wacken this year and see some bands that I HAVEN'T seen before." I wouldn't want it to be that way.
Yeah, I don't always love every band that Glenn (or Shawn) picks, but that's ok. At least I know there will always be something new and/or interesting. Half the fun of ProgPower, IMO, is being exposed to new bands.
That said, I don't necessarily mind when a band that put on a great show in the past returns. If a band is good enough to be on the bill, then they are good enough to be on the bill. I don't know if I'd want to see any band on the bill two or three years straight, but if someone played ProgPower V and was impressive enough to be invited back for ProgPower VIII or IX (ahemBrainstorm ... ahemWuthering Heights :saint:) I don't think I'd complain.

woosta said:
I would be willing to go with certain bands coming back in the headline slot only. That way I can leave if I don't like them and I don't feel I'm missing anything (ie this year). That would be ok, so everyone can have their Evergreys or whatever. It actually worked out nicely this year to know that the #4s were my headliners and you all got to enjoy Jorn and Everygrey some more. That worked for me.

I realize you've seen Evergrey before so I can understand your leaving early if you dont like them. But if you left early without giving Jorn a propper chance then you're just as guilty of not "TRYING SOMETHING FUCKING NEW" as anyone who failed to check out Freak Kitchen. You cant just call people out for not giving your band a chance in the beginning and then do the same thing to another band. Well ... you can, it just makes you a hypocrite.

I'm pretty much a power metal guy. I came this year mainly to see Jorn, Thunderstone and Savage Circus and returning favorites Circus Maximus, Circle II Circle and Evergrey. I gave every band a fair chance and was really impressed by Freak Kitchen, Vision Divine and Epica. I never bitch or complain about not knowing a portion of the roster because every year I go home a fan of more bands than when I arrived. As long as there's a few bands that I know and love, whether they're debuting or returning, I'll keep coming to PPUSA and give the rest the chance to blow me away.

DarkOne said:
Gee, interesting band selections there :heh:

Just kidding you. Pyramaze was amazing, and we'd love to have you back in any incarnation!

Steve in Philly

Well he was just using them as examples. But.. I've listened to most of those bands on the list, and I'd enjoy seeing them. Beyond Twilight is the only one I'd be unsure of. If they stuck to their older material... great. If not, I'm not sure what a live set would be like, based on the most recent album. No way can they reproduce that live... right?

Andy Laudano said:
I realize you've seen Evergrey before so I can understand your leaving early if you dont like them. But if you left early without giving Jorn a propper chance then you're just as guilty of not "TRYING SOMETHING FUCKING NEW" as anyone who failed to check out Freak Kitchen. You cant just call people out for not giving your band a chance in the beginning and then do the same thing to another band. Well ... you can, it just makes you a hypocrite.

I saw Jorn play with Ark back at PP? whatever it was. That just about killed me to sit through that and having many of his cds for projects that followed, I just couldn't justify sitting through that again. So I DID try Jorn out once. :kickass: